Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting on glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car got broken into over 2 weeks ago and I've been waiting on a rear right window glass for nearly 3 weeks. I've called the 2 vendors that make the glass and they have no part either. This is very frustrating indeed, does anyone here have any other ideas.

The unfortunate thing is the rear quarter panel glass was easily obtainable on ebay for $100 used but now used ones cost $350 because there's is such a shortage. The rear quarter panel glass is easily a DIY replacement at is bolts in.

Isn't there anything Tesla can do to remedy this situation ? What went wrong that windshields (and other parts ? ) are so hard to obtain ?

Basically “what went wrong” is their parts distribution and logistics are infantile and they prioritize new production ahead of all other concerns. If it’s the difference between slowing down the production line and fixing an existing owner’s issue, to put it nicely, you can go frack yourself.

I've had a windshield replaced, the original one had ghosting. Even this new one is not perfect. I was wondering who makes it. Really Tesla had to make their own, no wonder the bad quality. I have never seen such a problem in a glass. I get it that the X or the 3 are more complex, but the S it is a simple windshield. why wouldn't they outsource it? This would also solve the problem with the supply for service.

I've had a windshield replaced, the original one had ghosting. Even this new one is not perfect. I was wondering who makes it. Really Tesla had to make their own, no wonder the bad quality. I have never seen such a problem in a glass. I get it that the X or the 3 are more complex, but the S it is a simple windshield. why wouldn't they outsource it? This would also solve the problem with the supply for service.
From what I read, apparently Elon suffers from a serious case of "not invented here" syndrome. He tries to do everything from scratch in-house. I'm actually surprised Teslas still have round wheels - I guess Elon hasn't gotten around to re-inventing the wheel yet, maybe it takes a long time to get government approval for new wheel design? I figured Model X would have come with something like this (if Elon had thought of this of course, he wouldn't want to share credit with DARPA):

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I was almost in a small fender bender of a crash last week. I totally panicked as we missed each other.
Crazy thing is I have never been to worried about having a small accident. Material things can get fixed and it’s more important that nobody gets hurt.
BUT
All I could think about when we missed by inches were all the stories I’ve read on here of people being without their cars for months at a time, or driving around with damage while they wait on parts.
And that was what freaked me out. Not the accident itself!

Isn't there anything Tesla can do to remedy this situation ? What went wrong that windshields (and other parts ? ) are so hard to obtain ?
From what I hear, Tesla makes the glass themselves instead of using
I was almost in a small fender bender of a crash last week. I totally panicked as we missed each other.
Crazy thing is I have never been to worried about having a small accident. Material things can get fixed and it’s more important that nobody gets hurt.
BUT
All I could think about when we missed by inches were all the stories I’ve read on here of people being without their cars for months at a time, or driving around with damage while they wait on parts.
Your absolutely right. Hopefully, someone from Tesla is reading these concerns.

BUT
I agree with you and cringe just about every time I get in the car, especially this time of year with weather, thinking, "what if a stone hits my windshield or something else happens?" The car will be out of commission for weeks or months, waiting for parts that should be readily available.

Three years ago (11/15) I had a minor fender bender damaging a quarter panel. Car was still drivable. Took it in for the shop to evaluate. They called me in 1/16 to bring it in. Once they got the panel off, they noticed a few other small parts they needed. Long story short, got my car back in 4/16. I kept my old Toyota SUV as a backup just in case, instead of getting rid of it just because Tesla is so bad with parts.

Tesla is a pathetically managed company that doesn't care about their customers once they have your money. I just hope there are other comparable EVs available when I'm ready for my next car. Otherwise, it may be back to an ICE. I won't buy another Tesla unless the company changes its customer service in a big way.

For whatever is worth, Tesla replaced the windshield on my S in two days. I am not sure if this is standard procedure but they sent the car out to JN Phillips (or maybe JN Phillips came in ?) to do the replacement. The new windshield has all the Tesla stamps, cameras defrost lines etc.

What's the going price for a wind shield on a Tesla? Last time I had glass replaced for a car, I paid out of pocket since it wasn't worth dealing with insurance for a $400 windshield. I don't expect Tesla glass to be that cheap.

Either the volume is too low or their credit is so piss poor that nobody wants to do business with them. the Elon likes to build everything himself is a smoke screen IMO. Much easier to say "oh Elon doesn't like coat hangers" than to say "nobody would create us a coat hanger because our volumes and bond ratings didn't meet their minimums"

Reactions: Barry