Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock "Exclude Home" distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mardak

Oct 13, 2018
USA
How far does the car need to be away from "Home" to auto lock with the new setting in 2020.24.*?

I was just at the grocery store 0.5 miles away and noticed the car was unlocked when I returned. I tested it again walking into the store, and it didn't lock, then tested turning off the new "Exclude Home," and headed back towards the store, and the car locked maybe 10 steps away.

Anyone else notice that the new setting prevents locking when not actually at home?

Last edited:
Today I noticed the message on the Locks screen under the "Exclude Home" setting changes when it will stay unlocked at the current location. Doing some testing driving down the road to see where it changes, it looks like the lock exclusion is within 500 meters of Home. The parking spot I was at yesterday was 470 meters away from home although more than 0.5 miles drive as there's no straight-line road to the store.

Last edited:
Ha. I suppose not too surprising that it just checks GPS coordinate distance, but I parked the car in the opposite direction from the store just within 500 meters from the house, and it indeed did not lock itself. Swiping down on navigation, the car provides a route that is 1.6 miles / 5 minutes to get home. Any suggestions on how to get Tesla to reduce this radius?

How far does the car need to be away from "Home" to auto lock with the new setting in 2020.24.*?

I was just at the grocery store 0.5 miles away and noticed the car was unlocked when I returned. I tested it again walking into the store, and it didn't lock, then tested turning off the new "Exclude Home," and headed back towards the store, and the car locked maybe 10 steps away.

Anyone else notice that the new setting prevents locking when not actually at home?
If you haven't done a reset after your latest update, then I'd recommend doing so. I've noticed that after FW updates a lot of things are wonky, but a rest seems to clear things up a bit. Worth a try to see if it helps resolve that problem.

If you haven't done a reset after your latest update, then I'd recommend doing so.
I tried the double scroll wheel with brake reset and moved the car to the furthest parking spot at the grocery store and the car still would not lock.

I suppose with nobody else confirming that "Exclude Home" keeps the car unlocked even outside on the street vs garage, maybe I should schedule a service appointment to check things out.

I tried the double scroll wheel with brake reset and moved the car to the furthest parking spot at the grocery store and the car still would not lock.

I suppose with nobody else confirming that "Exclude Home" keeps the car unlocked even outside on the street vs garage, maybe I should schedule a service appointment to check things out.

I reset my "Home" location after 2020.24.6.1 - then the lock did exclude when at home.

Try this: "To set up your Home location, touch Navigate and hold down Home, then enter your address. Touch Save as Home"

The latest manual has this to say about Sentry Mode activation exclusion: "To recognize a location listed as Home, Work, or a Favorite, Sentry Mode requires that Model Y is parked within 32 feet (10 meters) of the location listed as a Home, Work, or Favorite".

It should be same distance for autolock.

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The latest manual has this to say about Sentry Mode activation exclusion: "To recognize a location listed as Home, Work, or a Favorite, Sentry Mode requires that Model Y is parked within 32 feet (10 meters) of the location listed as a Home, Work, or Favorite".
Back when I drove to work, my parking locations were frequently more than 10 m from where I set the "work" location. I use the setting that excludes Sentry Mode at work and I've never had it turn on, independent of where I park at work.

Anyone else get an update to 2020.24.6.9 still running into this problem? Accord to Teslascope, almost 50% of the fleet is on 2020.24+ which introduced this functionality, but it's strange nobody else is noticing the car staying unlocked when parked a little bit away from home.

Anyone else get an update to 2020.24.6.9 still running into this problem? Accord to Teslascope, almost 50% of the fleet is on 2020.24+ which introduced this functionality, but it's strange nobody else is noticing the car staying unlocked when parked a little bit away from home.

Part of the reason not many are talking about it is because it’s in their garage. Our 3 & Y are parked in the garage and have this option turned on.

I set the option to Exclude Home, but it still locked while in my garage. When I went to look at the option again, it was mysteriously unchecked, so I checked it again. Same thing has happened three times now. I check it, still locks in garage, look at check box and it's unchecked, so I check it again. Rinse and repeat. Mine just doesn't stay checked for some reason. On 2020.24.6.9. But the thing about it not locking for a radius of 500 meters doesn't work for me anyway now that I see that here, so I won't be using this option anyway.

I set the option to Exclude Home, but it still locked while in my garage. When I went to look at the option again, it was mysteriously unchecked, so I checked it again. Same thing has happened three times now. I check it, still locks in garage, look at check box and it's unchecked, so I check it again. Rinse and repeat. Mine just doesn't stay checked for some reason. On 2020.24.6.9. But the thing about it not locking for a radius of 500 meters doesn't work for me anyway now that I see that here, so I won't be using this option anyway.
Keep in mind that this setting is specific to each user profile, so if you are using the Easy Entry profile you have to enable the option for that profile since it is the active profile when you exit the car.

Yea I park my car outside in the neighborhood when I use my garage gym. I got a message that my car was unlocked. Tested a couple of more times a few further blocks away and it still doesn’t lock. Needless to say the unlock while home feature has been disabled.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus