Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk me through the design decision for the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I resemble this remark :p

On a more serious note, it’s still a few years from deliveries... and they have more work to do (ie, cameras for autopilot), so I wouldn’t be surprised if they also figured out this is a useful addition.

The cameras were there. They are integrated into the wheel flares.
Erik on Twitter

Early on I thought this is not the pickup truck for the commercial contractor who needs to store ladders but designed more for weekend family pickup truck lovers. We were driving on highway today and looking at pickups in traffic, and thinking about it and now, I don’t see why if you are willing to have an open bed truck (retracted bed cover) like most pickups out there that you couldn’t have a rack in the bed. I know there were anchor points (think that's what they were) near the bed floor, and those slanted side wall storage areas for tools might have more places to anchor a rack up higher along it’s surface which would add stability to it. The rack could still extend from the back of the bed and over a portion of the roof. What do you think? Do-able?

Really funny thing is we aren’t in the market for a pickup truck or need one but since the reveal have the Cybertruck on my mind in general. Had to laugh why I’d even be looking at pickups on the road. It does catch people’s attention and I think it will do well.

I don't see how or where, unless you weld brackets onto the sides.
Huh? People drill into Stainless Steel to install fasteners all the time unless you think everyone’s Barbeque grill is glued together. Of all the things to complain about on the Cybertruck, the ability to mount accessories to it seems like the least logical (except for the 5th wheel complaints). You can weld or install fasteners all over the thing since the body panels are structural. It should be much easier to modify than most other vehicles. If you want to cut off the fasteners and grind down the welds to take it back to “stock” then you can.

Frankly, the simple stainless steel body panels might be the most brilliant thing about it. A good metalworker with a brake and a water jet should be able to replicate any of those panels easily. It’s not clear how the panels are fastened to the rest of the vehicle, but it should be fairly easy to replace those parts since there are not specialized, custom stamps for it.

Early on I thought this is not the pickup truck for the commercial contractor who needs to store ladders but designed more for weekend family pickup truck lovers. We were driving on highway today and looking at pickups in traffic, and thinking about it and now, I don’t see why if you are willing to have an open bed truck (retracted bed cover) like most pickups out there that you couldn’t have a rack in the bed. I know there were anchor points (think that's what they were) near the bed floor, and those slanted side wall storage areas for tools might have more places to anchor a rack up higher along it’s surface which would add stability to it. The rack could still extend from the back of the bed and over a portion of the roof. What do you think? Do-able?

Really funny thing is we aren’t in the market for a pickup truck or need one but since the reveal have the Cybertruck on my mind in general. Had to laugh why I’d even be looking at pickups on the road. It does catch people’s attention and I think it will do well.

Depending on how long the ladders are and how many you need, you could also run a rack up one or both sail panels and hang a ladder at a matching angle.

You could also mount a full rack from the sail panels that's horizontal on top and bridges over the entire truck, if you need the full width rack and still want the bed cover to work and full vault access.

So far, they are pulling a lot of non truck peoples interest here at work.. I think the conventional truck owners will come around if it has function.

yeah that ^^ the talk "around the water cooler at work" is most people think the truck is horribly ugly but most still want one !! ha ha.

oh and for the record I've never owned a truck; never wanted to and likely never will ..... oh wait a minute ... ooops ... what the !!! Ordered :D

I'll keep this short since I said something similar in another thread: Pickup trucks here on Maui all have a rack over the bed and cab, for carrying long canoes and kayaks. Construction folks use the rack for carrying ladders and materials. The Cybertruck looks like you won't be able to install a rack. Result: There will be zero sales in Hawaii. Tesla has ditched the entire pickup market in favor of the urban electric cowboy who has no use for a pickup but thinks it's cool, and the Mad Max wannabe.
You are presuming things that we don't have answers to yet. I presume there can be a truck rack and all kinds of accessories added...

Reactions: mspohr
Hmmm. So a lot of people don't share my view. I do hope it's a success. I won't be buying one because if I had a pickup truck people might expect me to lift heavy stuff into the bed of it. And I'm 100% satisfied with my Model 3. But if you can put a rack on it, maybe my friend will get one.

Use the ramp

Nope. I just don't need a truck. But the comments on this and other threads have convinced me that my concerns may not be relevant. If they do offer a rack, or there is a reasonable aftermarket rack, then my friend could use it to haul kayaks and canoes, and he'd definitely be interested.

Elsewhere people have wondered about the crumple zone. Tesla has always been concerned about safety and has designed all their cars to get five stars in every category. It will be interesting to see how they make this thing safe in a crash. You need a crumple zone so the energy of a crash can be absorbed by the vehicle rather than by the passengers.

(It was my biggest misgiving about the Tango from Commuter Cars, that there was zero crumple. And zero safety testing. Though my information on the Tango is over a decade old.)

Nope. I just don't need a truck. But the comments on this and other threads have convinced me that my concerns may not be relevant. If they do offer a rack, or there is a reasonable aftermarket rack, then my friend could use it to haul kayaks and canoes, and he'd definitely be interested.

Elsewhere people have wondered about the crumple zone. Tesla has always been concerned about safety and has designed all their cars to get five stars in every category. It will be interesting to see how they make this thing safe in a crash. You need a crumple zone so the energy of a crash can be absorbed by the vehicle rather than by the passengers.

(It was my biggest misgiving about the Tango from Commuter Cars, that there was zero crumple. And zero safety testing. Though my information on the Tango is over a decade old.)
What makes you think there won't be a crumple zone or that it won't be safe in a crash?