Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk me through the design decision for the cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll keep this short since I said something similar in another thread: Pickup trucks here on Maui all have a rack over the bed and cab, for carrying long canoes and kayaks. Construction folks use the rack for carrying ladders and materials. The Cybertruck looks like you won't be able to install a rack. Result: There will be zero sales in Hawaii. Tesla has ditched the entire pickup market in favor of the urban electric cowboy who has no use for a pickup but thinks it's cool, and the Mad Max wannabe.

I'll keep this short since I said something similar in another thread: Pickup trucks here on Maui all have a rack over the bed and cab, for carrying long canoes and kayaks. Construction folks use the rack for carrying ladders and materials. The Cybertruck looks like you won't be able to install a rack. Result: There will be zero sales in Hawaii. Tesla has ditched the entire pickup market in favor of the urban electric cowboy who has no use for a pickup but thinks it's cool, and the Mad Max wannabe.

I think you'll be able to install a rack. Either Tesla or an aftermarket company, or both, will probably come up with a solution.

I think it’s a little early in the design process to say you won’t be able to install a rack on it. Adding mounting points for a custom rack shouldn’t be a problem.

I suspect there are some good engineering reasons for the “out there” design.

The pyramid shape is likely related to the need for rear buttresses. With a conventional truck the frame is built large, heavy, and sturdy to support heavy tow ratings. Going with a unibody “exoskeleton” I suspect buttresses are needed along the rear bed to keep the structure from twisting. Now you could have a flat roof meet the rear buttresses, but by using the pyramid shape it simplifies including a retractable tonneau.

The bigger question would be whether you can lift the Cybertruck high enough.

Tesla has stated that it's goal is to mainstream EVs. They could have simply dropped their revolutionary drivetrain and software into a conventional truck form and sold them by the (sorry for the pun) truckload. Instead they've designed a niche vehicle with a very limited appeal that will capture very little of the enormous mainstream truck market.

Isn't the goal here to replace current ICE sales with EV sales? The M3 has done a great job of taking sales from ICE vehicles like the prius, accord, camry, 3 series BMW. etc. What sales is the cybertruck going to steal? Very little I suspect. It's going to create a novelty niche segment for people who apparently want a bulletproof sport truck that can outperform a 911 but unfortunately you can't even access the bed from the side or tow a 5th wheel, two core missions of a truck. (seriously can someone explain to me what a 16,000 lb tow rating is worth when you can't use a bed hitch? They expect to tow that weight from a bumper hitch??)

Just looking to wrap my head around the design decisions here.
Makes no sense to me, Elon is Elon.

I'm pretty sure the number will not be zero, with how popular EVs are in Hawaii what with the high gas prices and EV incentives. (E.g. If you go to the HNL airport parking lot half the cars are EVs because they park for FREE.)

Why the Tesla Cybertruck Looks So Weird

Zammit realized then that the truck’s DeLorean-mated-with-a-Pontiac-Aztek aesthetic might be an effort to streamline the manufacturing process. “By being philosophically so pure and so functional, Tesla has completely eliminated a very large part of what is the traditional automotive assembly,” he says. The company might cut down on expensive tool and die costs by keeping all elements of the car flat, straight, and, frankly, a little weird looking. “Musk might be pulling off one of the most brilliant moves in automotive history,” he says.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

I resemble this remark :p

On a more serious note, it’s still a few years from deliveries... and they have more work to do (ie, cameras for autopilot), so I wouldn’t be surprised if they also figured out this is a useful addition.