Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger a few feet from gas Line? OK or future Darwin Award winner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the area on the wall circled ok for the wall charger location or no?

I can put it on the other side of the door but that would force me to cack in further in a narrow driveway.

Attachments

• B7592D78-983D-4DAA-A7C9-B43FAFA15AE8.jpeg
    B7592D78-983D-4DAA-A7C9-B43FAFA15AE8.jpeg
    735.5 KB · Views: 137
In my opinion, from a rando guy on the internet whose background you have no idea of, I'd say you're fine installing the wall connector there. Only danger that I can think of is if you have a gas leak in the meter or pipe(s). You'd then have to have some source of ignition, coupled with the fact that you personally set it off, for you to be awarded a Darwin.

Along with the advice from @Soul Surfer check the installation manual provided with the wall connector to see what it says.

edit: P.S. If you already have offspring, you are out of the running for any Darwin.

Reactions: mod3InLA
I am not an electrician nor an expert in this field. A lot of what I have learned of this stuff has been learned from being the moderator for the Tesla Energy subforum, in which lots of discussions of electrical installs happen (in correlation with Solar installs).

With that as the background, I believe that in California, "the code" says that you need to be 36 inches from your gas line. If that spot there is more than 36 inches from the gas line, I think you would be fine as far as the codes go.

I cant tell from the picture if its more than 36 inches away from the gas line.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I think my parents were expert swimmers who were in the deep end of the gene pool. At least, further out than the shallows... It looks like 36 inches from the gas line puts me in an OK spot? I'll check the manual to be sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    895.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    749.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I am not an electrician nor an expert in this field. A lot of what I have learned of this stuff has been learned from being the moderator for the Tesla Energy subforum, in which lots of discussions of electrical installs happen (in correlation with Solar installs).

With that as the background, I believe that in California, "the code" says that you need to be 36 inches from your gas line. If that spot there is more than 36 inches from the gas line, I think you would be fine as far as the codes go.

I cant tell from the picture if its more than 36 inches away from the gas line.
Thanks for looking up the appropriate code. Always a good idea when doing DIY projects!

I believe the code specifies that arcing devices like switches, outlets, breakers, motors, etc. must be at least 36" from the regulator valve vent. So first, a wall charger is most likely to be considered a benign fixture. And second, the measurement would be taken from that big disc on the far left, not from the meter itself.

So, yeah, if you can just try to refrain from using a blowtorch while charging whenever you smell a massive gas leak, you'll be fine.

I believe the code specifies that arcing devices like switches, outlets, breakers, motors, etc. must be at least 36" from the regulator valve vent. So first, a wall charger is most likely to be considered a benign fixture. And second, the measurement would be taken from that big disc on the far left, not from the meter itself.

So, yeah, if you can just try to refrain from using a blowtorch while charging whenever you smell a massive gas leak, you'll be fine.

An EVSE does have a heavy duty contactor (relay) that could arc in certain fault situations. During normal operation though the relay should never arc since there's communication between the car and the EVSE, so the relay should only energize and de-energize when no current is flowing.

So yeah, you should be fine...

The added benefit with the 'safer' side is eliminating any persons 'subjective' opinion on an inspection for permitting.

Makes sence.

So I found this which indicates a min distance of 3M but, since I took out the charger to check the cable length, the other ('safer') side of the door is just fine.
The added benefit with the 'safer' side is eliminating any persons 'subjective' opinion on an inspection for permitting.

Just make sure that no opens the door with the cable on the other side. Well unless it's long enough to sit on the ground and clear the door 100% when it opens.