Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you really need more then ~7.7kW? An 8 hour charge overnight would completely charge an SR+, basically charge a LR Model 3 from empty to 80% (which is about the max you should daily charge to), and would be able to get a 100kWh pack almost to 80% from a 10% SOC. Unless the car was being shared in some weird situation where you come home at like 8 or 9 pm to plug in and a spouse needs to leave at 4 or 5 am for a work shift I can't really see why the faster charge would be worth the extra cost. You don't need to leave fully charged for every little trip, if you run out and use 40 miles and then are only home for an hour before running back out again for another 30 or 40 miles, don't worry about it. The range is large enough on Tesla's to not constantly be worried if you don't leave when you're full, and 7 to 8 kW is pretty fast as is!

Edit: In fact, I forgot that S/X also topped out at 11.5kW. That's $500 for 40% faster home charging when you might not even need that. You can always have the electrician install wire to handle a much higher load if you think down the road you'll add a second Tesla and load balance a wall connector... At least running a 14-50 on a 50amp circuit would future proof you for almost 5kW to two wall connectors but you could ask the electrician to spec the wire for as much power as you can spare up to 100 amp so you could in the future install two wall connectors that could provide ~9.6kW at the same time...

Last edited:
I would like to install inside garage, but my door/slab has a lip on it. I have an extension cord under it now for christmas lights. not sure how much bigger the UMC is. My panel is about 3 feet from front of garage so i could put inside if i could get the cable out
This is a bit confusing: "not sure how much bigger the UMC is". The UMC cable is smaller than the wall connector cable, not bigger.

It is relatively thick and I don't think it likes being bent. As a temporary solution you could put a small brick under the door or remove a window pane.
With the mobile charging cable, that's about as thick as your finger--not a big deal--so I wouldn't hesitate to put that under a garage door, and I have. The wall connector cord is noticeably thicker, since it is made to carry 80A, and with that, yes, I would probably recommend a couple of little pieces of wood or something on each side to take some of the pressure off.

Went to purchase the Wall charger with the 24' cable and sold out..You'd think Tesla would make sure to be stocked for end of quarter, but alas, All they have is the 8'. Is there an extension that would work or can you just buy the 24' cable aftermarket? Anyone know how soon they usually restock?

wire a 14-50 with correct wire for HPWC and then swap it out later.

We installed a 14-50 in our garage located near the garage door and have a corded 14-50 mobile connector more or less permanently plugged in there so we don’t have to use my car’s mobile kit. Right now our garage has some things stored in it and in the way to park so I charge my car in the driveway outside and we protect the cord with little blocks on each side of the cord so the door doesn’t crush the cord and can slide when the garage door is down. It works and not a biggie to position when I need to charge.

E67FCBC2-5E82-47C5-9218-B6A38456CEF9.jpeg 9B043671-EE52-46CF-9E92-0A2881F2EA55.jpeg

Garage looks closed on the outside btw but as you can see the tubular rubber seal on the garage door bottom doesn’t meet the floor there and rests on top of the little blocks we use. To be technical what we are using in the photo is two Corian color samples and some cardboard to bring it a bit higher LOL.

Our electrical panel is on the right side of the garage wall (facing garage door from outside), so wasn’t ideal placement, and the 20-ft corded option was long enough for us to reach the other side of a car pulled in to the garage or long enough to use outside like we are right now. At the time we bought the corded mobile connector we only had one Tesla and didn’t know how it would work out and if we’d go all Tesla (which we did a year later). My husband felt the 14-50 gave us options—useful for power tools when needing a 240 outlet and if we sell the house anyone can easily plug in what they want.

Corded Mobile Connector

I would plug in my Model 3 AWD at night (11pm when rates were lowest—now midnight) and be around 20% (55 range miles), and be 90% charged by 6 am — so fast enough for my use; and the car isn’t dialed in to take full advantage of the amperage for an even faster charge.

Last edited:
70 miles round trip is a bit less than 14 hours of charging at 120V... Just find an L2 charger online once a week and you'll be fine, or just charge more than 14 hours per weekend....problem solved.

Don't forget to turn off Sentry and other stuff that wastes power you don't have, until you get your HPWC.

Reactions: srs5694
It is relatively thick and I don't think it likes being bent. As a temporary solution you could put a small brick under the door or remove a window pane.

The UMC cable is exactly 7/16 of an inch thick. I just use an aluminum piece 1/2” thick next to it and the door closes without grabbing the cable at all, and without leaving any noticeable gap either.

Good news is I was able to secure a HWPC. Providing it gets here in time I'll be all good. But if for some reason it gets delayed, I have electrician coming monday and picking up car tues, what exactly do they need to run for me? I could atleast get that done

Even if it was in stock, doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it anytime soon. I ordered mine online from Tesla on November 7th in hopes of getting it installed before I take delivery of my 3, however the wall charger still has not shipped and they haven't returned my emails asking for a status update.

Went to purchase the Wall charger with the 24' cable and sold out..You'd think Tesla would make sure to be stocked for end of quarter, but alas, All they have is the 8'. Is there an extension that would work or can you just buy the 24' cable aftermarket? Anyone know how soon they usually restock?
Just went online today (12/12/19) and the 24' wall charger is available.