Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Extension Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla and aftermarket companies will be making a NACS DC supercharger extension cable, how many people will really buy one? The A2Z one is $300, so who knows how much the Tesla one will cost.

Per the Tesla website 'We are working on a NACS to NACS extension cable, which will be available for purchase in the future.'

I'm guessing most people will see the price and decide to parallel park or double park (both ok according to Tesla) instead of paying that much.

I'm guessing most people will see the price and decide to parallel park or double park (both ok according to Tesla) instead of paying that much.
I would agree with that assessment, unless of course the fears of many are realized and Superchargers are suddenly swamped and those owners find that they themselves are unable to charge because there aren't 2 or 3 empty parking spots available to them. Then they may be willing to fork over some cash to give them that peach of mind.

Now that Tesla and aftermarket companies will be making a NACS DC supercharger extension cable, how many people will really buy one? The A2Z one is $300, so who knows how much the Tesla one will cost.

Per the Tesla website 'We are working on a NACS to NACS extension cable, which will be available for purchase in the future.'

Where on the Tesla website did you find that ?

There are some L2 level extensions, but supercharger cables are watercooled,
so I don't think that making supercharger extensions will be possible.
After reading the A2Z extension in more detail, it seems like charging speed will get throttled once the car and sc detect too much heat. That would kind of defeat the purpose of fast charging, unless they can throttle it to ~100kw.

After reading the A2Z extension in more detail, it seems like charging speed will get throttled once the car and sc detect too much heat. That would kind of defeat the purpose of fast charging, unless they can throttle it to ~100kw.
I will look forward to someone else testing and reporting on this before I pass judgment. However if I am at a crowded SC station and there is only one stall open, 100kw would be better than nothing by a long ways.

I wouldn't go so far as saying it will defeat the purpose of fast charging...there are a lot of unknowns and variables: maybe the extension will use thicker conductors that will result in less losses and thus less heat (although a 6-9 ft cord would be pretty heavy and unwieldy, not to mention costly); many EVs won't charge much more than 150kW, and will taper off anyway, and 150kW should be able to be tolerated with V2 thickness cords.

I could see people wanting one. As it is, stations that are more than half full, and certainly those that are 75% full, may have no space available for a Ford configuration car when one arrives. As long as all empty slots have a Tesla on their left, a Ford can't charge, unless the rightmost stall is free and has an empty space to the right.

In rural stations, that is not very likely, but fairly full urban stations are common -- even with lines. Indeed, if you come to a station with a line, you are SOL until the rightmost stall is vacated -- in fact you might as well park in the space to the right of it and wait for that car to leave, or for the line to go away, because you're never getting a stall, unless there was another Ford configuration car, in which case you could get that spot, though Teslas in line may well be waiting for the space that Ford was blocking.

A short cable would let you take any stall. If you are one of those people who fill up the stations in the evening (normally people with no charging at home, charging close to home) I could see getting that cable.

What a silly product. What people really need is a NACS socket on one end and CCS1 handle on the other. Nobody needs to extend NACS to NACS, they need to extend NACS to CCS to support vehicles with the charge port in the wrong location. Daisy chaining an extension plus an adapter is even worse.
Yes. At least not until Ford puts a NACS receptacle on the wrong side of the car.

Reactions: ewoodrick and drift
What a silly product. What people really need is a NACS socket on one end and CCS1 handle on the other. Nobody needs to extend NACS to NACS, they need to extend NACS to CCS to support vehicles with the charge port in the wrong location. Daisy chaining an extension plus an adapter is even worse.
Try charging with a trailer.

There have definitely been situations that it would have saved me from dropping the trailer to charge.

Wow $700 from EVBASE! The cord looks hefty, but not quite as thick as SC V2 cords. But they claim it can handle 350kw.

I would purchase an extension cable just so that I'm not blocking a stall. And it'd require less forethought and planning when you can just pull in a empty space and charge.

FTFY, I hope. :p

Well, it might not be obvious if there are people parking offset. But it would mean that you can park between two charging Teslas and charge.

Wow $700 from EVBASE! The cord looks hefty, but not quite as thick as SC V2 cords. But they claim it can handle 350kw.

Okay, that cable just seems to be weird. It's a CCS extension (not a NACS) and it is only for Magic Dock pedestals.

In other words, it's not exactly the best thing to buy if you are going to charge on Tesla pedestals. (except for the few CCS ones)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I could see people wanting one. As it is, stations that are more than half full, and certainly those that are 75% full, may have no space available for a Ford configuration car when one arrives. As long as all empty slots have a Tesla on their left, a Ford can't charge, unless the rightmost stall is free and has an empty space to the right.

In rural stations, that is not very likely, but fairly full urban stations are common -- even with lines. Indeed, if you come to a station with a line, you are SOL until the rightmost stall is vacated -- in fact you might as well park in the space to the right of it and wait for that car to leave, or for the line to go away, because you're never getting a stall, unless there was another Ford configuration car, in which case you could get that spot, though Teslas in line may well be waiting for the space that Ford was blocking.

A short cable would let you take any stall. If you are one of those people who fill up the stations in the evening (normally people with no charging at home, charging close to home) I could see getting that cable.
But if I arrive in a Ford and pull forward into an empty stall between two Teslas, when the Tesla to my left leaves I can use that plug before another Tesla occupies that stall to my left? That renders the stall just vacated by a Tesla as useless until I leave with my Ford. I might have to wait some time but better than waiting for an end stall or two adjacent stalls to be open.