Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger cable management ideas/solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm thinking about my upcoming wall charger install.
Unfortunately it needs to be positioned on the house wall in a carport.
Problem is that this is a pathway for kids, bikes, prams and whatever (not happy about having all of them passing next to the car!), they walk between the car and the house and I'm not to happy about having the charging cable lying on the ground while plugged in for everyone to step on.

Have anyone else solved this problem? I'm thinking a retractor of some sort or perhaps a swinging arm but I would like something that's not too visible or intrusive looking. Height is somewhat of a concern since it's around 8-10 feet up to the ceiling as well. Images are appreciated.

Hi,

I'm thinking about my upcoming wall charger install.
Unfortunately it needs to be positioned on the house wall in a carport.
Problem is that this is a pathway for kids, bikes, prams and whatever (not happy about having all of them passing next to the car!), they walk between the car and the house and I'm not to happy about having the charging cable lying on the ground while plugged in for everyone to step on.

Have anyone else solved this problem? I'm thinking a retractor of some sort or perhaps a swinging arm but I would like something that's not too visible or intrusive looking. Height is somewhat of a concern since it's around 8-10 feet up to the ceiling as well. Images are appreciated.
A very high hook near the garage door can eliminate the need for coiling.You may be the only one in the family that can get it on and off the hook. basically a tip toe operation.

Is the cable going to be crossing the car?

The cable sticks out from the car a fair bit when plugged in, if pointing at the house that will eat up a lot of walkway.

We use a lot of these at work.
Heavy Duty Rubber Cable Protectors, 1 - 5 Channels

I might just trimt base so the top extends or glue up a tab so you can flop it open with a foot.

The cable won't be crossing the car but with that cable protector it would be a option either way. It it can withstand a car, it should be able to withstand a couple of bikes and kids.

Really good point, haven't really thought about how much the cable/handle extrudes from the car once it's connected.
Will have to look in to that and how to handle it.

I've seen photos and videos of ceiling-mounted installations, with the cable on some sort of auto-retractable mechanism. This would be more complex to set up, but if you have the ceiling clearance, it might be worth considering. Unfortunately, I haven't saved any URLs, but I've seen some of these on YouTube, so you could try searching there with keywords like "ceiling EVSE."

Reactions: Bejj
That has been my main idea as well, I have the clearance but problem is the weather elements since it's open. I'm trying to research how a retractor of some sort would cope with cold and moisture.