Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Installation costs question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about the long term costs of home charging + installation vs my current situation.

Namely - my work charges all EVs for free during the work day. So at the end of every day I go home with a full charge (or really 90% because battery reasons). I live less than 2 miles from a Supercharger. What is the cost/benefit of having the home charger installed vs just going to the Supercharger on a weekend or if I plan on a long road trip?

Like... is it worth the couple of grand to install the 240v and wall charger over the life of the car? I'm leaning towards no, so long as I maintain this job and get free charging.

I guess long/short of it is this - If you had free charging while at work, would you spend the money to upgrade your home garage for the "just in case" days/holidays?

...would you...

No.

Instead of charging while sleeping at home, my car can do that while at work.

As long as I don't take road trips, there should be enough charge for trips around town for off-work days such as holidays and weekends.

If you do need to drive a long distance for holidays and weekends then you can stop by your Supercharger nearby.

That's why the statement is often "charging at home or work"

But honestly, I'd tend to not mention it at work. Saying that your employer is paying all of your fuel charges may not be taken well by other employees and end up as a backlash. Something along the line of "Company sponsored Electric Vehicle Program" just like Ride Share programs just sound better than "I get free charging for buying an expensive Tesla"

You do need to make sure that as the chargers at work fill up, that you implement a friendly charging atmosphere and that often means that whoever is charging during the morning, unplugs at noon and plugs the next guy in. (or moves car so that someone else can charge). Also, if you don't need to charge, don't take the spot. If you drive 50 miles each day, you don't need to charge each day.

Be polite and considerate and remember that your employer is offering you an advantage that other employees aren't getting. Don't ever let the need for shared charging to have to escalate to HR.

I guess long/short of it is this - If you had free charging while at work, would you spend the money to upgrade your home garage for the "just in case" days/holidays?

Nope. And the best part is...you can always change your mind and add it later if you find yourself needing more than weekday work charging. Let necessity dictate your home charger decision, you don't need to solve a problem that doesn't exist yet.

I'm in the same situation. A couple things I'm concerned about: (1) What if I take some extended time off work for some reason? (2) What if I leave (or are asked to leave) my job?

So far I'm just using work charging and the occasionally Supercharger top-off. But it would be nice to be able to occasionally charge at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Those of you that have not installed a circuit and/or NEMA outlet to plug you Mobile Connector into, should at least get a quote or couple of quotes for installation. Consider this a cheap dry run to find out if your home is capable or needs any upgrades or adjustments before or during a circuit/outlet installation. While you might decide to wait a while before you proceed, at least you know you are ready or not and could act quickly if necessary.

And you get your nomenclature correct before your electrician's visit. You are not having a charger installed. Its simply and outlet or supplemented by a higher performing circuit. Its not a charger, it's simply access to electricity. Probably a higher amperage circuit if you don't already have it. But you are not asking your electrician to install a charger. Petty difference you may think, but its different to the electrician - and probably a difference in the cost.

I'm curious about the long term costs of home charging + installation vs my current situation.

Namely - my work charges all EVs for free during the work day. So at the end of every day I go home with a full charge (or really 90% because battery reasons). I live less than 2 miles from a Supercharger. What is the cost/benefit of having the home charger installed vs just going to the Supercharger on a weekend or if I plan on a long road trip?

Like... is it worth the couple of grand to install the 240v and wall charger over the life of the car? I'm leaning towards no, so long as I maintain this job and get free charging.

A couple Grand seems high. Did you get a quote?

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
My feeling is that you should leverage what the office is giving you for as long as you can without making an additional investment at home.

If you change jobs and move into a role where you are not able to charge at work, you still may be able to avoid investing at the house by plugging into 110V and supplementing with supercharging if and when you need it.

My quote from Tesla came to $2500 which included $1000 in labor and filing costs, $500 in an additional panel, and $500 for the wall charger. I considered doing a lower-cost installation (without the wall charger using the existing mobile charger and using a less expensive electrician - which likely would have cost me only $500). I skipped it for now since I can maintain an 80% SOC with the 30 miles a day of driving I need to do.

In general, I've found its best to invest only when you actually need to. Just ask yourself a simple question as to whether or not you can reasonably get by without it.

G-d knows I've got enough junk around the house I rarely use ;)

I would get the wall charger, personally. You could save a few hundred if you just use your charger the car came with and not get the box upgrade. I'm the kind of person that just wants the backup options just in case. you're in a very lucky position that you get to charge at work. that's pretty cool!

I'd install the home connector. Because when my employer installed a (4-stall?) free charge point, I saw how quickly it became full and how long folks remained plugged in. Leafs, Volts and Teslas. Are they going to expand as quickly as EV uptake does?

Charging in my driveway is a such a convenient, no-conflict breeze.

Heh, literally a breeze because it's free-nights wind power. Y.M.M.V.

I'm not worried about running out of spots at work. We have 30 spots for charging and valets to swap out cars as they get charged. My company is VERY dedicated to scaling that up as needed. Obviously if I change jobs that becomes a different story though.

All very good points actually, thank you.

Those of you that have not installed a circuit and/or NEMA outlet to plug you Mobile Connector into, should at least get a quote or couple of quotes for installation. Consider this a cheap dry run to find out if your home is capable or needs any upgrades or adjustments before or during a circuit/outlet installation. While you might decide to wait a while before you proceed, at least you know you are ready or not and could act quickly if necessary.

And you get your nomenclature correct before your electrician's visit. You are not having a charger installed. Its simply and outlet or supplemented by a higher performing circuit. Its not a charger, it's simply access to electricity. Probably a higher amperage circuit if you don't already have it. But you are not asking your electrician to install a charger. Petty difference you may think, but its different to the electrician - and probably a difference in the cost.

Reactions: Akikiki

My total install was $1100. (Tesla wall unit/labor/parts) I am nowhere near the convenience you currently enjoy with your employer, yet I do have access within 2 miles of my residence. All said, no, your situation is really ideal. I would ride it out until something changes that would necessitate your having home charging.

Yes. Couple grand was a round up. $500 for the wall charger, $700 for the plug install and new wiring, $500 for the box upgrade (my house was built in 1952 so wiring is old as *sugar*).

That rots. You could just put in the 14-50 plug and save about $400 and still get fast charging. That said, it sounds like you have a good situation now so not worth the expense.