Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Installation costs question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have home charging and the new job also has charging and there's a supercharger in between the two.

In your situation I'd charge at work and 120v trickle charge on the weekends when you need extra, you should still get 5mph on 120v which is 50-75 miles at home everyday. Then if you really need range fast then you have the supercharger.

I have a home wall charger and I work from home :)

It cost me around $800 to have the charger installed inside the garage. The electrician had to run a 32ft steel conduit from the breaker box to the garage. I bought the charger and the electrician provided all other materials.

Yes. Couple grand was a round up. $500 for the wall charger, $700 for the plug install and new wiring, $500 for the box upgrade (my house was built in 1952 so wiring is old as *sugar*).
I definitely wouldn't bother with the wall charger; a NEMA 14-50 outlet gives you 30 miles per hour of charging, and in real life usage, that's almost always more than enough. Typically, you charge at night when you're asleep; toss in eating, cleaning, and getting ready time and you likely have a minimum of 7 hours available for charging, or 210 miles of range added. Assuming you're charging up to 90%, about 279 miles of range on an AWD, that means you'd be able to charge all the way back up at night even if you ran your charge down to about 25% the day before. How often do you drive more than 210 miles in a day, or even 140 miles if we knock a third of the range off for cold winter conditions?

I got my model 3 six months ago and weighed the same kinds of questions Slaughter raised. But I decided to wait before making up my mind. Glad I did. I discovered I have four free chargers within one and two blocks of my home (two at the supermarket parking lot and two at Walgreens). I also have free charging at work at chargepoint stations that provide three hours of free charging. This is basically how I charge my car. At free charging stations. For now the energy to run my car is basically free (to me). I did not expect this bonus. My backup is the good old garage 120V regular outlet that squeezes out a five mile charge per hour. Every so often an all-night charge at that rate will give enough for a few days driving. I live in a city, but I'm wondering, how many other drivers have regular access to free charging? Is this expected to grow as a benefit for EVs or are the days of free charging numbered?

These prices are making me shiver.

My home has a 100 amp panel. I bought a gas stove (bonus) and repurposed that line to the garage. Total costs: < $100 for parts and $250 for the labour ($CAD). My run was fairly short, ~10-12ft.

Definitely call around and find a contractor that won't add the Tesla tax.

I'm in the same situation. A couple things I'm concerned about: (1) What if I take some extended time off work for some reason? (2) What if I leave (or are asked to leave) my job?

So far I'm just using work charging and the occasionally Supercharger top-off. But it would be nice to be able to occasionally charge at home.
I posted this 8 months ago. I never did install a 240V charger at home and have been mostly charging at work. It's turned out totally fine. Occasionally I do need to charge at home, but an overnight charge at 120V is usually sufficient.

I'm glad I did not spend the money to put in a 240V charger at home.