Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Overheating? Ghost charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Background:

2020 M3 LR AWD - 2 weeks old

Gen 3 Wall Connector - installed by a Tesla recommended vendor a week ago

For the first week it was charging as expected - 240V 48amps.

Last night I got two charging interrupted notices and the wall connector error light indicated a overheat issue. I turned off the breaker and charged on the 110 UMC to full without issue.

Today I turned the TWC back on and plugged in and it charged at 32/48 amps for a while. I stopped charging via the touchscreen (see photo) but it looks like it’s still charging - is this normal? I started charging again and it went back to 48/48 240 until it stopped again with the same over heat warning as yesterday.

I’m going to take it off the HPWC and turn it off at the breaker panel just in case something is wrong - anyone have any ideas? I’m a Tesla owner for two weeks so still learning. Thanks

Attachments

• C324132E-D969-44DD-85AD-87D47FDE5A9D.jpeg
    C324132E-D969-44DD-85AD-87D47FDE5A9D.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 362
  • 0188D5A4-DED9-4F34-982A-8C4B7586A456.jpeg
    0188D5A4-DED9-4F34-982A-8C4B7586A456.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 244
Not sure why your wall connector is overheating, you’ll need to get that checked out.

As for the “still charging”, the car will use shore power for the computers and HVAC while parked and plugged in. The 2kw you’re seeing there on the charging screen is the current draw powering the car while you’re sitting in it with the MCU and HVAC running. The battery is not actually charging.

Not sure why your wall connector is overheating, you’ll need to get that checked out.

As for the “still charging”, the car will use shore power for the computers and HVAC while parked and plugged in. The 2kw you’re seeing there on the charging screen is the current draw powering the car while you’re sitting in it with the MCU and HVAC running. The battery is not actually charging.

What he said.

As to the overheating, it is likely the wires were not properly torqued down in the wall connector or that some insulation was pinched. (or it could be a faulty Wall Connector)

You are doing the right thing by not using it.

Get whoever installed it and/or Tesla to fix it.

Please do report back with the results for us for future reference!

(also, pictures are always cool if things melted) :)

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I'm having an issue with the new wall connector as well. It will charge the car fully every time, but once it's done charging or if you remove the charger, the red light will indicate that is overheated. If you plug it back in, it will continue to charge no problem. Also having wifi connection issues. Most of the time I check, it's not connected to my network. The old charger had no issues.

I’m going to take it off the HPWC and turn it off at the breaker panel just in case something is wrong - anyone have any ideas? I’m a Tesla owner for two weeks so still learning. Thanks

The issue of overheating can be caused by loose terminals (wires not tightened properly internally). If you are not afraid and the power is off, open it up and take a look, see if there is any burning or the wires are loose (try tightening them - shouldn't move too much).

If everything fine, you should make a service appointment and get the process started for a warranty return/replacement.