Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the responses! I'm having to gooogle a ton of info you guys are talking about as this area isn't my expertise, but I'm learning alot.

Hmm. So you guys think getting a 100 AMP or 90 amp circuit with say a 48 amp Level 2 charger is a good idea?

I do want to future proof but I don't want to overkill.

I'd love a Tesla charger but I heard getting a compatible socket that fits a non Tesla vehicle can be an issue.

48A Level 2 EVSE HCS-60 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

Thanks for all the responses! I'm having to gooogle a ton of info you guys are talking about as this area isn't my expertise, but I'm learning alot.

Hmm. So you guys think getting a 100 AMP or 90 amp circuit with say a 48 amp Level 2 charger is a good idea?

I do want to future proof but I don't want to overkill.

I'd love a Tesla charger but I heard getting a compatible socket that fits a non Tesla vehicle can be an issue.

48A Level 2 EVSE HCS-60 Hardwired | ClipperCreek
That sounds similar to what i am thinking to do. Depending on cost, subpanel in the garage so I can add a 30amp later in another spot in the garage off that 90amp circuit.

Reactions: everydaychris
A 48 amp charger should be protected with a 60 amp breaker. (48 / 0.8 = 60).
I plan to run a 4 gauge copper wire with a 60 amp breaker. Getting a non-Tesla charger is probably better for future proofing than running a wire bigher than 4 gauge. Assuming you run a 90C wire and the wire isn't in a super hot area (e.g. attic in the South), you are good to 95 amps in the future. Any larger and you may have issues with the connections inside the charger.

Reactions: everydaychris