Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger V3 shows lower voltage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a 3.7% variance between 2 voltmeters. If typical accuracy of a good voltmeter is 1%, then you are not too far off. I would try another voltmeter. Then you have 3 independent readings and talk take a majority vote for truth. Most likely, if the TWC is the minority vote, it is merely inaccuracy in its internal voltmeter.

You could also put conductive grease on the terminals and blades.

Reactions: ATPMSD and josahua
While waiting for my MYLD to be delivered next month, I installed Tesla wall connector V3. It appeared to work normally with no error LED code.

When I was trying to configure the connector on its interface, I noticed the grid voltage is only 230v. I measured the two hot terminals within the connector with a multimeter, it clearly showed 240v. All these measurements were taken without load.

Maybe not a big deal, just curious. Anyone can explain it to me?

View attachment 908464
Since it's not under load, it's not a connection issue (unless is was really bad).
It may be a difference in measurement technique, is the multimeter a true RMS type? As compared to a peak detect times 0.707. Not sure how the EVSE measures, but if waveform is not quite sinusoidal, that could result in different readings.

Will be interesting to compare what the car reports.

Mine is doing the same thing (that's how I found this thread). 246 volts at breaker and Wall connector contacts using Fluke meter. 236 volts reported by wall connector UI. Car shows 243 volts while charging. Seems like a software issue in the Wall Connector maybe. I am 1 firmware update behind the latest version according to iOS Wall Monitor app. Seems to work ok...
60amp breaker, 4AWG wire, 25' run, Gen 3 Wall Connector.

I am convinced this is a software issue now. I just finished a new install and the older software 22.23 that was currently loaded before update matched the meter within a fraction of a percent. As soon as the software updated to 22.41 the voltage reading dropped by 5 volts.

Reactions: rwojo
Wait if my Tesla app shows 200v at 48a , should I be concerned!??
What voltage shows when you dial charge rate down to 10 Amps in the App?

If your charger is attached to a breaker panel with 3-phase power, then normal voltage is 205v. 3-phase power is used for large-draw installations such as hotels, shopping malls and factories.

My experience is the Tesla will automatically reduce charge Amps if there is a significant voltage drop. This safety measure helps avoid overloading a circuit.

If 200 Volts is a significant drop from the 10 Amp Voltage then there is likely a serious problem. Charge at 10 Amps until you can get a good electrician to review your charger connection.