Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector amp setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
I’m having a wall connector installed on a 50 amp breaker, is it necessary to go into the wall connectors settings and change it to 50 amp breaker or does it do that by itself?

I don’t want it to charge at 60 amps when it’s on a 50 amp breaker

You will need to adjust the settings on the wall connector. It will not be able to detect that it is connected to a 50A breaker (and thus limited to 40A for safe operation).
Oh ok so it comes out of the box at 40 amps? That actually is probably good enough for me

And since it’s a 50 amp breaker it shouldn’t go above 40 amps anyway

No, it comes out of the box set for a 60 amp breaker.

You NEED to go set it up following the instructions included with the HPWC. If you plug it into a performance model 3 right now, it'll happily try to take 48 amps. If its 48 amps on #6awg, the breaker is unlikely to trip and your house is unlikely to burn down. If its 48 amps on #8, the breaker is still unlikely to trip and your house MIGHT burn down.

Just set it up right.

Oh ok so it comes out of the box at 40 amps? That actually is probably good enough for me

And since it’s a 50 amp breaker it shouldn’t go above 40 amps anyway
No, I don't think it comes out of the box at 40a.

When it is set to a 50a breaker, it allows 40a maximum. This is called the 80% rule because of the continuous nature of charging.

No, it comes out of the box set for a 60 amp breaker.

You NEED to go set it up following the instructions included with the HPWC. If you plug it into a performance model 3 right now, it'll happily try to take 48 amps. If its 48 amps on #6awg, the breaker is unlikely to trip and your house is unlikely to burn down. If its 48 amps on #8, the breaker is still unlikely to trip and your house MIGHT burn down.

Just set it up right.
That’s interesting that the 50 amp breaker wouldn’t trip if it’s charging at 48 amps

It’s 6 gauge wire

That’s interesting that the 50 amp breaker wouldn’t trip if it’s charging at 48 amps
It depends on the ambient temperature around the breaker and what power the neighboring breakers are taking. There's certainly no guarantee that a 50 amp breaker will or will not trip with a 48 amp load, and you can't go bitchin to the NEC or Square-D if it does(or doesn't!)

Last edited: