Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector amps question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4mm is probably fine.

I've seen conflicting reports about the breaker size. There is definitely a rule in the US where breakers need to be oversized by 20%, but despite numerous people saying the same in Australia, I haven't seen any documented proof of such a requirement. My electrician also installed mine with a 32A breaker, and I have been charging for about a year without issue.

An undersized breaker shouldn't cause any safety issues as it will just trip earlier.

Disclaimer: Not an electrician, don't use anything I say as advice.

4mm2 is probably fine depends of how the cable is installed, in a wiring enlcosure (eg conduit), v75 TPS at 40C is only good for 30A, and thats without any kind of derating for multiple circuits etc. In a continual load situation like this, I would definately use 6mm2 even just for voltage drop regardless of distance. 6mm2 TPS in a wiring elcosure is rated at 38A, again without any kind of derating, so I would stick with a 32A RCBO, even at 32A continual, I wouldn't expect the RCO to trip. It just doesn't cost that much extra to have peice of mind.

Your right, no such rule on oversized breakers.

4mm is probably fine.

I've seen conflicting reports about the breaker size. There is definitely a rule in the US where breakers need to be oversized by 20%, but despite numerous people saying the same in Australia, I haven't seen any documented proof of such a requirement. My electrician also installed mine with a 32A breaker, and I have been charging for about a year without issue.

An undersized breaker shouldn't cause any safety issues as it will just trip earlier.

Disclaimer: Not an electrician, don't use anything I say as advice.
My electrician used 10mm with 40A breaker single phase.

Reactions: Zoltrix77