Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector installed on 100 amp breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a wall connector installed while waiting delivery of Model 3.
New build house 2 years ago with conduit and 200 amp circuit to garage installed in anticipation of eventual EV.
Wanted to facilitate potential additional EV options in the future, so elected to go with 100 amp installation. To go with amperage higher than 60 amps excluded possibility of wiring through back of wall connector; it must come in from above or below wall connector, hence maybe not as “sleek” a look as from behind. Just an FYI for others.

Attachments

• 5EEBE677-9210-48A1-BC39-4E0188225FAA.jpeg
    5EEBE677-9210-48A1-BC39-4E0188225FAA.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 656
  • Informative
Reactions: Acps110 and MikeATL
The box and conduit for the eventual wiring was installed at the time of construction of the garage. The electrician who did the initial wiring for the house and garage also returned to install the wall connector. I believe there was a potential issue with some of the studs next to where the box where the connector was to be connected. The box had been placed 48 inches above the floor. At the time of construction, we figured we would place the conduit and install a box with a dummy cover until we finished the job by snaking the 80 feet of wire through the conduit to finish the job. We didn't realize when the initial conduit was being installed, that with the heavier wire required for the 100 amp circuit Tesla wouldn't recommend bringing it through the back of the connector. This was something that was noted by the electrician when he reviewed the installation video, (but I don't think was in the installation manual.) prior to coming out to install the wall connector. The electrician was also disappointed in the "look" but did a very satisfactory job of adapting. Anyway live and learn. C'est la vie...

Reactions: eprosenx
I did the same. Initially one Wall Charger on a 100A circuit. Now 2 Wall Chargers sharing 100A Circuit via a sub-panel.
Great plan!
Video Links:
TMC thread:
Model 3 & Model S Load Sharing 2 HPWCs Video Demo! WooHoo!
How did you configure your DIP switches for the load sharing?
I have 2 HPWC between model s and m3 but my model s only gets 48 and m3 12 amps max??
Its on a 100 amp circuit breaker too...

I'm thinking maybe i have to set the DIP switches differently, I had mine installed by a electrical contractor.

Thanks!

I have 2 HPWC between model s and m3 but my model s only gets 48 and m3 12 amps max??

I'm thinking maybe i have to set the DIP switches differently, I had mine installed by a electrical contractor.
It's in the wall connector owner's manual:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf
It's on page 30, where it shows about how to install a chained network of the wall connectors. You pick one to be called the "Master", and you set that dial to the amperage of the circuit that they are on. All others get set to the switch setting that says "Slave". You don't set them to any specific current number. And then they will all communicate together to share the appropriate amount of current.

• Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx and SSedan

Thanks!
As I recall, the Master (connects to Model S) is set to D 100a (Max output 80a) and slave is set to F (slave mode)
2 questions...
1. Did your contractor properly install comm wire? (See attached instructions)
2. Does your Model S have a 72 amp onboard charger? Other flavors are possible. 48, 40 and even 80 (2x40s)?

My suggestion:
First try to increase the amperage in the charge screen on your car’s MCU.
(See attached image note that mine says max 72) what does your say?
As I understand it…
If at anytime, your car is unable to reliably charge at a certain amperage because of the stability of the electricity… Or for some other reason it will adjust your max charge rate down and it will remain so for that gps location until both the issue is resolved and it is manually adjusted back up again.

From the Model S Manual:
Note: If Model S is charging and detects unexpected fluctuations in input power, the charging current is automatically reduced by 25%. For example, a 40 amp current is reduced to 30 amps. This automatic current reduction increases robustness and safety in situations when an external problem exists (for example, a home wiring system, receptacle, adapter or cord is unable to meet its rated current capacity). As a precaution, when Model S automatically reduces current, it saves the reduced current at the charging location. Although you can manually increase it, Tesla recommends charging at the lower current until the underlying problem is resolved and the charging location can provide consistent power.

Supporting documents below for all issues I have mentioned…
FB3A985F-1872-47CE-847B-98BA99AF1959.jpeg

CF87FACC-FDD6-4721-BE9A-92B97212725A.jpeg
CA7803DE-58FD-46C2-9146-5432BDA1CF4B.jpeg
FA97F22F-6336-4AB9-A20D-24E392AEAF8D.jpeg

Attachments

• DFBC6BFB-AE2E-4C15-93B2-989291DBB7E5.jpeg
    DFBC6BFB-AE2E-4C15-93B2-989291DBB7E5.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Informative
Reactions: SSedan and Rocky_H
Just had a wall connector installed while waiting delivery of Model 3.
New build house 2 years ago with conduit and 200 amp circuit to garage installed in anticipation of eventual EV.
Wanted to facilitate potential additional EV options in the future, so elected to go with 100 amp installation. To go with amperage higher than 60 amps excluded possibility of wiring through back of wall connector; it must come in from above or below wall connector, hence maybe not as “sleek” a look as from behind. Just an FYI for others.

Hmmm... My 1st generation Tesla High Power Wall Connector has been connected through the back to a 100A breaker and supported 80A charging of our 2015 P85D with dual chargers for 3.5 years. Not sure why your Wall Connector installation needed 3 sharp 90º bends... Maybe installing it offset from the wall would have eliminated the bends?

Attachments

• IMG_3291.JPG
    IMG_3291.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 351