Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector or 14-50 socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OR install a NEMA 6-50R those adapters are almost always in stock at Tesla, and there should be no cost difference to install it. This is a standard plug at many RV parks and rest areas and offers a rarely discussed way to charge in a pinch.

Or even for daily home charging. Good suggestion.
  • Perhaps fewer people will have that kind of cable/plug handy, so an outdoor NEMA 6-50 receptacle is perhaps slightly more secure from undesired tampering/use?
  • It lacks the neutral line, I guess. Is that a concern?
  • With a properly installed NEMA 6-50 receptacle (heavy duty Hubbell/Bryant or equivalent receptacle; 50-amp GFI breaker; #6 or heavier house wire) a Tesla Gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector (no longer available from Tesla) with proper lock-on NEMA 6-50 adapter ($45 from Tesla) should allow continuous charging at 40 amps (just like when using the lock-on Gen 1 NEMA 14-50 adapter plugged into a properly-installed NEMA 14-50 receptacle).
Tesla Gen 1 Mobile Connector.jpg NEMA 6-50 Gen 1 Adapter.jpg
  • However, the newer Gen 2 Mobile Connector ($275 from Tesla) with proper 6-50 adapter ($35 from Tesla) would charge at 32 amps, I imagine (like with its NEMA 14-50 counterpart).
Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector.jpg NEMA 6-50 Gen 2 Adapter.jpg
  • Are there aftermarket connector cables/adapters with NEMA 6-50 adapter plugs (but lacking Tesla's built-in safety handshake circuitry?). (A quick Google check suggests, yes there are.)
  • The only Tesla charging accessories for a 6-50 receptacle that are lacking are a one-piece connector cable (equivalent to the Gen 1 Corded Mobile Connector) and a 6-50 plug-in wall connector. (But a to-be-hard-wired wall connector could be properly/safely modified to plug into a 6-50 receptacle, correct? Though I am a little unsure why one would bother to do that.)

Last edited:
I know nothing about real estate, but it could be that you can't show your house with any permanent electrical wiring that won't be included in the eventual sale. So if it takes months to sell your house ...

Perhaps a "THIS IS NOT INCLUDED" post-it note would be enough?

Sorry if this is misinformation.

Not sure if the HPWC would be considered "electrical wiring" vs an appliance. There is a section in standard real estate contracts where you can declare what appliances and fixtures are not included in the sale. Just call out the HPWC there and you are good to go. But as davewill says, if it was enough to close the sale, I'd probably leave it.

As it is, if I resold my place in the next 5-8 years (beyond that I expect EV infrastructure will be far more ubiquitous), I'd make the HPWC (or at least the connection) a major part of my listing, since I had a line run 50' out to my parking space in my condo complex. Good charging options in condos (particularly in major cities) still

Reactions: Rocky_H
<An issue> that could be solved by more reliable supply.

Agreed.

I was just alerted by Tesla today (03/04/20) that the Gen 2 Mobile Connector NEMA 14-50 adapter-plugs are back in stock. Let's see (a) how long they stay in stock at the Tesla site and (b) whether there is any sort of changes to online auction sales of these items.

What happened to the Wall Charger with the 14-50 wall plug?

Various contributions on this and other forum sites (search for key words to find pertinent posts) collectively discuss the (relatively brief) history of the Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector (WC). I am no expert, but it was apparently an interesting idea that just did not take off. They were only offered for less than a year, in 2019, right? I speculated (in this thread, I believe) that the 14-50 WC version was unfortunately found to combine undesirable aspects of both the similar-looking Tesla Gen 2 High Power (HP) Wall Connector and of the competing bare NEMA 14-50 receptacle (with 14-50 Mobile Connector or Gen 2 Mobile Connector & 14-50 adapter) charging options in one--e.g., maximum limit of only 40-amp continuous charging, relatively higher cost, expensive GFI breaker (eventually) needed, NEMA 14-50 receptacle always required, somewhat less weather-proof installation, inability to pair with another WC to charge two Tesla cars simultaneously (is that right?), etcetera. In addition to likely modest direct sales, there were some reports that those Tesla owners who acquired them frequently got them as promotional freebies (e.g., often in Canada?). Regardless, there were good 14-50R alternatives and I suspect that total sales were just not adequate enough to justify continued production.* I imagine that people who were willing to spring for installation of a wall connector probably just went for the high power 80-amp (Gen 2) version--especially since the HPWC could be easily "turned down" to 40 amps continuous. At least that's my guess.

I speculate that 2019 sales were modest because just a year later it can be difficult or near impossible to find a new or even a used 14-50 WC for sale on eBay or Craig's List in many markets. Compare that to the likelihood of finding other Tesla charging options--a Gen 2 HPWC or Gen 2 Mobile Connector, for example--those are much more readily available on the you-sell-it websites. (It is also difficult to find a 14-50 Mobile Connector cable at a decent price on those sites.) So either people are hoarding Tesla 14-50 WCs (why?), or there were just not that many distributed to consumers.

Nonetheless, the 14-50 WC was and remains, for some, an interesting option. Charging at 40-amps continuous is apparently more than adequate for overnight charging, and is somewhat faster than the 32-amps continuous available with the Gen 2 Mobile Connector. Several do-it-yourselfers have reported modifying the Gen 2 Wall Connector with a NEMA 14-50P pigtail cord in order to make their own homemade 14-50 WC and thereby connect to a 50-amp circuit with 14-50 receptacle, just like with the original Tesla 14-50 WC product.

In the end, I don't know which is more difficult--choosing from among the Tesla car-model versions, or selecting the best home-charge-connection alternative.
_______
* But who knows, maybe they will return to the Tesla charging accessory website?

Last edited:
Various contributions on this and other forum sites (search for key words to find pertinent posts) collectively discuss the (relatively brief) history of the Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector (WC). I am no expert, but it was apparently an interesting idea that just did not take off. They were only offered for less than a year, in 2019, right? I speculated (in this thread, I believe) that the 14-50 WC version was unfortunately found to combine undesirable aspects of both the similar-looking Tesla Gen 2 High Power (HP) Wall Connector and of the competing bare NEMA 14-50 receptacle (with 14-50 Mobile Connector or Gen 2 Mobile Connector & 14-50 adapter) charging options in one--e.g., maximum limit of only 40-amp continuous charging, relatively higher cost, expensive GFI breaker (eventually) needed, NEMA 14-50 receptacle always required, somewhat less weather-proof installation, inability to pair with another WC to charge two Tesla cars simultaneously (is that right?), etcetera. In addition to likely modest direct sales, there were some reports that those Tesla owners who acquired them frequently got them as promotional freebies (e.g., often in Canada?). Regardless, there were good 14-50R alternatives and I suspect that total sales were just not adequate enough to justify continued production.* I imagine that people who were willing to spring for installation of a wall connector probably just went for the high power 80-amp (Gen 2) version--especially since the HPWC could be easily "turned down" to 40 amps continuous. At least that's my guess.

I speculate that 2019 sales were modest because just a year later it can be difficult or near impossible to find a new or even a used 14-50 WC for sale on eBay or Craig's List in many markets. Compare that to the likelihood of finding other Tesla charging options--a Gen 2 HPWC or Gen 2 Mobile Connector, for example--those are much more readily available on the you-sell-it websites. (It is also difficult to find a 14-50 Mobile Connector cable at a decent price on those sites.) So either people are hoarding Tesla 14-50 WCs (why?), or there were just not that many distributed to consumers.

Nonetheless, the 14-50 WC was and remains, for some, an interesting option. Charging at 40-amps continuous is apparently more than adequate for overnight charging, and is somewhat faster than the 32-amps continuous available with the Gen 2 Mobile Connector. Several do-it-yourselfers have reported modifying the Gen 2 Wall Connector with a NEMA 14-50P pigtail cord in order to make their own homemade 14-50 WC and thereby connect to a 50-amp circuit with 14-50 receptacle, just like with the original Tesla 14-50 WC product.

In the end, I don't know which is more difficult--choosing from among the Tesla car-model versions, or selecting the best home-charge-connection alternative.
_______
* But who knows, maybe they will return to the Tesla charging accessory website?
I read that in some cities, new buildings garages need to have a NEMA 14-50 plugs.

In this case you could plug your UMC, but you cannot leave it because it could be stollen.

However, I wish you could bought a Tesla Wall Charger with a NEMA plug, so you could install your own charger permanently
and take it with you when moving. This is the way all the other chargers that are available are designed in fact.​

What about the Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector (WC) with a J1772 connector that Tesla install at some Superchargers or National Parks.

Why Tesla don't make it available? This would be an simpler solution if your second car or motorcycle has a J1772 plug.

...What about the Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector (WC) with a J1772 connector...

Lacking direct access to corporate policy-makers, exactly why Tesla offers or promotes one type of charging accessory over another has to be surmised from the historic evidence. For example:
  • For its charging equipment Tesla made the <wise or unwise?> corporate decision to be proprietary--that is, to normally require that its own connection-plug design be used to attach charging cables to Tesla cars. As a result other car brands cannot normally use Tesla superchargers, and inconvenient adapters (e.g., CHAdeMO, J1772) must often be employed to charge Teslas at aftermarket charging stations or at-home, non-Tesla wall connectors. I, personally, am not a fan of proprietary designs, especially for plugs, cords, and cables. As a consumer it is so much more convenient when different brands of products can use the same types of accessories. But we can assume that Tesla performed a cost-analysis and concluded that inconvenience to customers would be offset by profitability and/or engineering-design superiority.
  • Tesla at first promoted the use of NEMA 14-50R electrical outlets for home charging. This speculation is supported by the facts that (a) Tesla originally (in 2012) provided NEMA 14-50 adapter-plugs for its Gen 1 and Gen 2 Mobile Connectors in new (Models S and X) cars and (b) it went to the additional trouble of offering the dedicated (Gen 1) 14-50 Mobile Connector cable, which could only be used in 14-50 outlets. Home charging using a 240-volt receptacle is obviously superior (to 120-volt charging). But going further, apparently the NEMA 14-50R was deemed preferable to other 240-volt receptacle alternatives (though other Mobile Connector plug-adapters are available from Tesla).

• As alleged problems with (poorly installed) NEMA 14-50 receptacles surfaced (e.g., over-heating; electrical shorts), Tesla eventually decided to strongly promote its proprietary Gen 2 high power (80-amp) wall connectors, which by necessity were often installed by licensed electricians. NEMA 14-50 plug adapters for the Gen 2 Mobile Connector were no longer provided with new cars, and the Corded Mobile (dedicated 14-50) Connector cable strangely cost more than the Gen 2 HPWC.
As to exactly why a Tesla Wall Connector or connection cable with a permanently-attached J1772 plug is not more widely available, I cannot say. But as you mention there was (still is?) a 40-amp Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug apparently approved for the Taiwan, Japan, and North America markets. Was that what you were referring to? See Tesla brochure Part Number 1467603-00-A:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/J1772-wall-connector-40a-installation-guide.pdf

Also, see mention of it in this Forum here:

Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug instead of Tesla proprietary plug

I do not know anything about this device--for example, if it is still available. (it may have come and gone in the USA like the 14-50 Wall Connector. Maybe still available in Asia?) Also, what would the specific purpose be in North America where Teslas have the proprietary charging port and a J1772 adapter would always have to be used? Maybe for people with other brands of electric cars in addition to a Tesla? Or maybe intended for commercial (and not home) use?

Also. as we know Tesla started becoming a little less proprietary in Europe (in 2017?) when it started adding the CCS ports to its new cars and selling CCS adapters for the older cars. Unfortunately, still no such innovation in North America, right? Why? Don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watts_Up
Also. as we know Tesla started becoming a little less proprietary in Europe (in 2017?) when it started adding the CCS ports to its new cars and selling CCS adapters for the older cars. Unfortunately, still no such innovation in North America, right? Why? Don't know.
CCS in North America is a different standard than CCS in Europe. Why? Similar to metric and P-metric tires, the different standards provide some exclusion so the European products don't come into North America. (With tires this means that European manufacturers cannot sell metric sized tires to OEMs although they can sell to the aftermarket.)

CCS in North America is a different standard than CCS in Europe. Why? Similar to metric and P-metric tires, the different standards provide some exclusion so the European products don't come into North America. (With tires this means that European manufacturers cannot sell metric sized tires to OEMs although they can sell to the aftermarket.)

Interesting. Too bad.

Was that what you were referring to? See Tesla brochure Part Number 1467603-00-A:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/J1772-wall-connector-40a-installation-guide.pdf

Yes, some Tesla Superchargers have those Wall Chargers with a J1772 plug, but Tesla don't mention it in tesla.com/findus.

You have to go to some wep pages such as ChargePoint.com to find those J1772 chargers listed.

Thank you, I noticed in particular this very informative video from @Sorensen

Note: Interesting learning from this video that the J1772 standard don't include thermal protection testing of the plug.