Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I’ve been lurking on here for awhile and recently placed my order for a MYLR.

I have no electrical experience and will be hiring an electrician to install a wall connector.

I hoping I can be pointed in the right direction as far as placement of the wall connector.

Main panel is on the left side of the house and subpanel is on the left side of back wall of the garage.

I anticipate using the garage solely for the MY as I have other gear/bike stowed away that would make it difficult to fit a 2nd car.

Your suggestions and insight are much appreciated!!

(Main panel in red / sub panel in blue - approx 16 feet in front of the truck)
C0C7E366-B7D6-4AB6-8949-829DC26AFD59.jpeg

B68533CD-3707-40EC-B00A-80AB9C7AE3FD.jpeg

CF65C994-C2EC-4077-9DAC-BBA2B2FC753A.jpeg

84423E38-43EE-44E2-83F0-2AE7B276712B.jpeg

EDA9BE2E-1EF1-4549-A936-8C78CF6E7B0D.jpeg

Here’s the type of outlets I have in the house/garage:

217C5724-9A3A-448B-88F5-C5A4F519DFC0.jpeg

Type of outlets don't matter--this is a wall connector. It's going to be needing a new dedicated line and is hardwired, not plugged into an outlet.

The wall connector only has an 18 foot cord from the body of it to the charging handle that plugs into the car, so on that left side of your house won't even come close to reaching. You definitely need to mount that somewhere near your garage/driveway. The wall connector can run on many sizes of circuits, so find out how much you can spare from that subpanel in the garage and do that. Maybe it's a 30 or 40A circuit, and that would be fine.

A couple of questions:

Do you have or plan to own more than one EV (besides the Model Y)?

How many miles, per day, Monday through Friday, do you typically drive? Weekend miles?

The Wall Connector is one option. Another option is to just use the Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla Model Y.

You will need an electrician to determine what type of circuit can be added to your current sub panel. That makes the most sense since the sub panel is located in the garage.

Type of outlets don't matter--this is a wall connector. It's going to be needing a new dedicated line and is hardwired, not plugged into an outlet.

The wall connector only has an 18 foot cord from the body of it to the charging handle that plugs into the car, so on that left side of your house won't even come close to reaching. You definitely need to mount that somewhere near your garage/driveway. The wall connector can run on many sizes of circuits, so find out how much you can spare from that subpanel in the garage and do that. Maybe it's a 30 or 40A circuit, and that would be fine.

^ Yeah, when I came to the realization that the main panel was so far away. Other houses in my neighborhood have the main panel on the other outside wall of the garage - but my particular model all have the main panel like this.

I'm thinking I'll likely have to mount it on the left wall of the garage for ease (the window side of the garage),

A couple of questions:

Do you have or plan to own more than one EV (besides the Model Y)? - I dont plan on another EV - just this 1 MY.

How many miles, per day, Monday through Friday, do you typically drive? Weekend miles? - the wife will use this to work, round trip of less than 15 miles.

The Wall Connector is one option. Another option is to just use the Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla Model Y - this might be appropriate, but I like the idea of "faster" charging when needed. Although it might not be needed on a daily basis i like having that option for peace of mind.

You will need an electrician to determine what type of circuit can be added to your current sub panel. That makes the most sense since the sub panel is located in the garage.

The Wall Connector has some additional features and capabilities over the Mobile Connector:

Is full weather rated, can be exposed to wet weather without concern. The Wall Connector is the best choice for an outdoor installation. (This is not relevant since you will charge the Tesla vehicle parked in your garage.)

Supports charging at 240V/40A and 240V/48A while the Mobile Connector is limited to 240V/32A. (This is not much of an advantage when your EV is only driven 15 miles per day. In truth any 240V charging circuit from 20A to 60A would complete charging in 1 hour or less.)

Support load balancing where up to 4 Wall Connector units can share a single charging circuit. (Not needed since you will only have the one Model Y.)

Cleaner installation, i.e. looks cool. Can't argue.

Your existing sub panel looks like it might be full as far as adding additional 240V circuits. The electrician might determine that while you could add a 20A or 30A or 40A circuit there may not be sufficient capacity to add a 50A or 60A circuit. (The Wall Connector can be set, will work with any circuit from 15A up to 60A)

The receptacle in your photo is a NEMA 5-15 GFCI receptacle. It would depend on what other devices are also powered on the same circuit but you could add ~3 miles of range to the Model Y's battery per hour when charging using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector and the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter that comes with the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit. While you are deciding what to do about the Wall Connector and a 240V charging circuit you will be able to charge from your garage, just not quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
You will be parking your MY inside your garage so presumably you'll want the wall connector installed inside the garage (and not outside the house)?

Assuming you have no electrical connection constraints on where to place the wall connector inside your garage (electrician will be able to identify any constraints), 3 things to consider so that the cable can reach the charge port:
1) The MY charge port is on rear drive-side.
2) Wall connector is 18 feet.
3) Which direction will the MY be facing in the garage.

Personally, I placed the wall charger in a location in my garage which will allow charge port to be reached regardless which direction the MY is parked.

We have a similar arrangement as you. I purchased a Tesla Wall charger from Tesla. Currently Version 3 at least thats what we got. The electrician had to run a wire under our house and then through the garage wall. It's a 50 amp circuit that he created in the main panel. The charger is located on the garage wall so that when we pull the car ( model Y ) into the garage the charging port which is on the left rear side of the car approaches the charger. We get about 37 miles per hour of charging. There are other charger options but I thought the Tesla would be fine as mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY