Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector: Prevent others from using?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heya,

If a Tesla wall charger is installed at a parking space designated for one lease holder (in an apartment complex), is there anyway to prevent it from being used by other vehicles while the owner's vehicle not parked there?

A breaker with a padlock would do the trick, but I wonder if there is any software lock or other ability built in to the charger for this purpose? The spec sheet for the charger says it's also rated for outdoor use, where this could potentially be a challenge too.

Thanks

I think (not sure) you can also buy remote controlled breakers which would enable you to turn your Wall Connector's circuit breaker on and off remotely.

That's interesting -- if not the breaker, some kind of proximity based switch, with the sensor kept in the vehicle, so the circuit would be switched on when the vehicle is parked. I'll search and see if I can find such a thing.

That's interesting -- if not the breaker, some kind of proximity based switch, with the sensor kept in the vehicle, so the circuit would be switched on when the vehicle is parked. I'll search and see if I can find such a thing.

We have a bunch of Schneider Electric Wiser plugs that are controlled from a Wiser "Energy Monitor" iOS app. They work great but are plug ins and only handle 120V 15A... not 240V 50A to 100A the Tesla Wall Chargers need.

Try Google search for "240V Remote Controlled Circuit Breaker"

You could also just put a disconnect right before the Tesla Wall Connector with a locking handle that you simply put a padlock through. Simple and will protect against casual eTheft but not a determined eThief who had bolt cutters.

Reactions: NovaWood
A padlocked disconnect (safety switch) is by far the easiest solution. However, you could use one of any number of bluetooth or other smart home light switches or smart outlet solutions to operate a contactor with a 120VAC coil to activate the Wall Connector's high amperage circuit. It may even be possible to mount such equipment inside a disconnect enclosure that's already required. I don't know what if any code requirements it would have to meet.

I have the same issue in my small apartment complex.

I have a keypad that supports latching and using a contactor I can swipe my card or enter a pin and it will turn the contactor on (and the HPWC) and enter it again to turn it off.

I will also be connecting a ControlByWeb Relay to do it remotely if needed.

Because my charger will be on my meter I can use Ethernet over Power to have it on my network and extend my WIFI down there for OTA updates.

Attachments

• box.png
    box.png
    90 KB · Views: 452
I have a keypad that supports latching and using a contactor I can swipe my card or enter a pin and it will turn the contactor on (and the HPWC) and enter it again to turn it off.
Because my charger will be on my meter I can use Ethernet over Power to have it on my network and extend my WIFI down there for OTA updates.

I can see why you keep it locked down. This is the image our public utility provider (BC Hydro) has on its website:

generation-type-rates-co2-graphic-tease.jpg

Residential Rates

Solar sure looks to make a lot of sense down under.

I have the same issue in my small apartment complex.

Wow. That looks unnecessarily complicated. What I proposed could be done with these two products.

GE Bluetooth Smart Switch
50 amp contactor Normally Open 120V coil

The GE smart switch also has an internal timer so you can program a 7 day schedule from your iOS or Android device. No WiFi required, just Bluetooth direct from your device. In a common area parking space that will be simpler to set up and use.

If a Tesla wall charger is installed at a parking space designated for one lease holder (in an apartment complex),
is there anyway to prevent it from being used by other vehicles while the owner's vehicle not parked there?
I wonder if you have been able to use the electric meter of your apartment,
or if you had to use a separate meter?

I wonder if you have been able to use the electric meter of your apartment,
or if you had to use a separate meter?

The utility will do either. I haven’t begun the process of the site survey yet. When I do and the electrician and utility do their bits, I’ll be told if the circuit can be part of my existing meter or I’ll get a second meter. I’ll let you know, since you’re interested.

I’d prefer the same meter, especially if I can extend my WiFi using power over Ethernet, as another poster is doing. That sounds like a very useful approach.

A padlocked disconnect (safety switch) is by far the easiest solution. However, you could use one of any number of bluetooth or other smart home light switches or smart outlet solutions to operate a contactor with a 120VAC coil to activate the Wall Connector's high amperage circuit. It may even be possible to mount such equipment inside a disconnect enclosure that's already required. I don't know what if any code requirements it would have to meet.
That’s a clever approach. I’ve no experience with contractors but I saw the links you posted to amazon in this threads and I’ll read up on it. Thanks for idea!

That’s a clever approach. I’ve no experience with contractors but I saw the links you posted to amazon in this threads and I’ll read up on it. Thanks for idea!
A contactor is just a big relay that is designed for high current. It is commonly used in industrial applications to start motors and control other high current loads under automation control. An EVSE only needs two poles, but since these are designed for 3-phase motors contactors usually have 3 or 4 poles (isolated electrical contacts that are switched simultaneously).

• Informative
Reactions: Icey and NovaWood
I'm going to suggest something -ahem- creative..... what if you put a magnetic switch inline with the "control" wire inside the HPWC? If the magnet is missing the HPWC never knows a car is hooked up. You just move the magnet when you want to use it. Bonus points... wire a relay up as latching so that once the car starts to charge the magnet isn't needed any longer. When you unplug, the relay resets and won't start again until the magnet is used. The relay would be very small and low powered since it's not switching the 220v lines, but rather a logic signal.

Reactions: Icey