Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector - swap or extend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. We have a Gen 3 wall connector with 18’ cord attached to the wall for my wife’s Model Y. We are moving to a new house and the problem is at our new house, the electrical panel is located on the right side of the garage and about 10’ in so the 18’ cord would not reach unless she backs in. Is it possible to buy just the 24’ cord or do I need to buy a new wall connector? Is it pretty easy to swap them? Thank you

As an engineer, I can't even count the number of times I've had these sorts of weird troubleshooting events. If you REALLY want to know, you'd swap the other base plate back in and see if everything still works. I understand perfectly that you're most unlikely to do that when you've finally got it working.

I'm sure there's an explanation, and I rather doubt there is a difference in the base plates. However, without doing that, nobody can say for sure what happened.

I know you're going to think it's a ID10T error, but I still get the dumb never-ending-spiny circle when I use the "wrong" wire box / backing plate.

I rigged up my 18' and 24' Gen 3 TWC wire boxes to their own branch circuits on their own 60A Square D breakers with #6 THHN throughout.

If I shove the 24' EVSE body onto the wire box from the 18' Gen 3 kit, it simply will not provision. But when I put it back on the right base, it works. And to make things worse... if I put the 18' EVSE body onto the 24' wire box, it provisioned fine as well. BTW, these Gen 3 units are both Tesla ones... not the more expensive J1772 variant.

When installed properly, I was able to master/slave these things where I capped the total 2 EVSEs at 64A. When I try to charge my Model 3 and Model X each at 48A, the EVSEs down-rate them each to 32A. Then, when one car charging stops, the other vehicle slowly goes back to 48A. So I'm almost smart enough to do this properly (almost).

As @jjrandorin knows, I am the dumbest of the dumb-azzes in the Energy sub forum and I probably still am to blame for some variable that I can't explain. But for real, I have no clue why the "wrong" wire box will prevent provisioning. I agree the wire boxes look like dumb plastic/metal things that just happen to have lugs and a busbar.

Maybe the EVSE can't detect the 240v and ground with the wrong wire box? I have no clue. Anyway, proof I actually installed the things. Unfortunately I lack proof that I am not highly regarded.

1681360960845.png

PS... 64A is what my NEC load calc suggests is the maximum additional continuous load I could add.
PSS... Those are some damn sexy disconnects.
PSSS... Home Depot has sold out of 3/4" EMT. There's a sriracha shortage and a 3/4" EMT shortage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nah, I just assume there's some weirdness we havent thought of: iffy connection, mechanical stress on something, who knows?

Yeah, I ran all new conductors and breaker to put the 18' wire box back on the wall. So the iffy connection would have to persist with my old conductors and new conductors... which seems unlikely. The breakers are in the same panelboard as my primary home loads, so it's not the panelboard that is to blame either.

I agree with Rocky, there may be some issue with how the blade push-ins work with the new Wall Connector body and older wire box. But the 18' EVSE body works fine in the 18' wire box, and the 24' newer EVSE has a green LED when it's plugged into the 18' wire box. It just won't provision over wifi.

So yep... who knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely nothing except lack of knowledge. But the recipient of the stolen HPWC must never connect it to wifi, lest the collective find the location of the stolen HPWC via its serial number. The mothership could also completely disable the HPWC via remote(they don't advertise they can, but it would be a trivial SW exercise for an insider)

Ooooo damn the scumbags are getting wiser…

Upvote 0
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0