Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector vs. Extra Mobile Connector Cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any word on when the HPWC will ship? I've not seen anyone post they have received theirs yet. I emailed my rep and he said it was "not shipping yet because UL approval not received".

I'm wired with a 100A service to a box for the HPWC. I can't easily attach these very large gauge wires to a NEMA 14-50 connector, so I really want to have my HPWC installed before I take delivery.

Likely late October I heard. Tesla gave me this sheet for a temporary outlet. View attachment Temporary Outlet.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Mod Note:

Various posts on gas vs electric cooking, induction cook tops and assorted comments on electricity unit rates went here: Gas-Vs-Electric-Induction-cook-tops-Electricty-Unit-Rates

Old thread. Bringing back to life I guess...

I would love to have an extra mobile connector to leave in my garage. This way, it is always ready to plug in, just like a HPWC. No opening the trunk, uncoiling it and plugging it into the wall then the Tesla. I can leave my other connector in the car for charging off site. Seems really practical, except for one problem: it's $650!!! Come on, isn't this just a little overpriced?

Old thread. Bringing back to life I guess...

I would love to have an extra mobile connector to leave in my garage. This way, it is always ready to plug in, just like a HPWC. No opening the trunk, uncoiling it and plugging it into the wall then the Tesla. I can leave my other connector in the car for charging off site. Seems really practical, except for one problem: it's $650!!! Come on, isn't this just a little overpriced?

Prices will come down as the volume on EVSEs go up, but for now, $650 for a 240V/40A EVSE is a good price. I just spent that much on a 240V/30A EVSE. The price I got on the Bosch unit was considerably lower than the usual $1,000 price on such a unit. Currently, Tesla Motors is charging less than the going rate for their EVSEs (both the UMC and HPWC), but I agree that even these prices are a little higher than they should be once production volumes increase and real competition starts.