Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall mount charging cable Gauge 6 Single core vs 3 core

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, and doing an installation found three single core cables of gauge 6 for 50A is more easy to install. But I see for the same length if I pick the 3core Single cable weighs heavy. Is that mean 3 Core cable is better than 3 Individual single core. My electrician says it is one at the same provided the Gauge and breaker is rated to 50A.

Hi, and doing an installation found three single core cables of gauge 6 for 50A is more easy to install. But I see for the same length if I pick the 3core Single cable weighs heavy. Is that mean 3 Core cable is better than 3 Individual single core. My electrician says it is one at the same provided the Gauge and breaker is rated to 50A.
You might need a new electrician. A 3 'core' presumably means 6-3 NMB cable. 3 single cores is probably 3 individual conductors which you then NEED to put in conduit, driving up the price. You also don't need 3 conductors for a 6-50 outlet(or the HPWC), you need two, plus a much smaller #10 bare ground wire.

If you put #6 conductors in conduit, you can run an HPWC at 48 amps instead of 40(which would be the max for 3 conductor NMB or even 2 conductor(6-2) NMB).

Reactions: Sun&moon
Upvote 0