Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the same thing. Why the overkill on capacity? Are you smelting aluminum on the side? :)

Best,
Why not? Depending if I get something, and how many, most folks on here will also say I am WAY overkill. Only live once. I am looking at it from first codes are changing so some things one can do today, will not be allowed tomorrow. Plus, he who has the biggest toys wins, right :)

Why not? Depending if I get something, and how many, most folks on here will also say I am WAY overkill. Only live once. I am looking at it from first codes are changing so some things one can do today, will not be allowed tomorrow. Plus, he who has the biggest toys wins, right :)

Understand the sentiment, but that's a LOT of $$$ to spend on what (for most people on this list) is likely to be a week or more of power. That's a lot of consecutive cloudy/windless days. :)

Best,

why do you need that much? I don't think I could use more than 100kwh in a day even with a 5T ac running in the hot summer.

Excellent question. We lived with off grid renewable energy since the 1980s at our previous home. Ideally, to function as an off grid home, one should have sufficient batteries to meet load for 3 - 7 under zero to low gain (power generation) days, and be able to sustain that during the heaviest loads of the year (if you don't want to rely on a back up generator). We have been monitoring our electrical usage with SENSE for 3 years. Last year our maximal single day use was about 120 kWH. This home is all electric, and all of our vehicles are electric. So based on that, we have enough battery power, if fully charged during a power outage to last a bit more than a single day during a zero to low gain day, without having to run the back up generator.

We have done some things which may give us a few more days of being able to run solely off of batteries compared to last January:

We added Sun Bandit solar direct PV water heating which has dropped our annual electrical usage by 3,000 kWh.

Since much of our electrical wiring for the Powerwalls runs through our attic, we needed to wait until completion of that project for reworking our attic insulation. We hired a company to remove the 30 year old R-38 blown insulation, seal the attic, and replace the insulation, blown in to R-90. We are already seeing about a 30% decreased power usage with our Waterfurance 7 Series Ground Source Heat Pump.

We're hoping that under worst case conditions, we will have sufficient battery capacity to power our home and vehicles for 2 days without operating the back up generator.

We were essentially trying to make our home an energy independent home ("off-grid"), which is grid tied for net metering banked electricity in excess of what we consume. Our annual consumption was about 30,0000 kWh last year, with production being just under 34,000 kWh. The prior year it was 23,400 kWh produced and 34,850 kWh of usage.

Other considerations for battery sizing is how it cycles. The larger the battery, the shallower the discharge, and since each Powerwall has its own inverter, it also means any loads we put on the system is distributed, resulting in less intense discharging of any individual battery pack. This should contribute to longer system life since deep discharges or heavy discharge loads will only occur occasionally, rather than daily. We plan on staying in our home for the rest of our lives (hopefully another 30+ years), so this strategy if part of a long term investment in our home and renewable energy systems. Others will have different perspectives on all of this. We made our decisions based on over 30 years experience with renewable energy in our prior home, reading current literature, as well as working collaboratively with Tesla and our independent installer, who did all of our grid tied renewable energy installations at this home.

why do you need that much? I don't think I could use more than 100kwh in a day even with a 5T ac running in the hot summer.
We could use such a system for a 100% electric Passive style house with 1 EV (Tesla M3). Our heat is radiant floor with a single 24KW instantaneous water heater which does floor and domestic. We have a couple electric fireplaces for small area extra warmth, and in the summer 1 13000 BTU AC unit cools the entire house easily (2700 sq ft). So on cold days, we use up to about 146kwh of energy for floor heating mostly. So I can easily see this being a good setup for us. Especially the wind component. But alas that was a real big investment, and I doubt we would do it that big.

Excellent question. We lived with off grid renewable energy since the 1980s at our previous home. Ideally, to function as an off grid home, one should have sufficient batteries to meet load for 3 - 7 under zero to low gain (power generation) days, and be able to sustain that during the heaviest loads of the year (if you don't want to rely on a back up generator). We have been monitoring our electrical usage with SENSE for 3 years. Last year our maximal single day use was about 120 kWH. This home is all electric, and all of our vehicles are electric. So based on that, we have enough battery power, if fully charged during a power outage to last a bit more than a single day during a zero to low gain day, without having to run the back up generator.

We have done some things which may give us a few more days of being able to run solely off of batteries compared to last January:

We added Sun Bandit solar direct PV water heating which has dropped our annual electrical usage by 3,000 kWh.

Since much of our electrical wiring for the Powerwalls runs through our attic, we needed to wait until completion of that project for reworking our attic insulation. We hired a company to remove the 30 year old R-38 blown insulation, seal the attic, and replace the insulation, blown in to R-90. We are already seeing about a 30% decreased power usage with our Waterfurance 7 Series Ground Source Heat Pump.

We're hoping that under worst case conditions, we will have sufficient battery capacity to power our home and vehicles for 2 days without operating the back up generator.

We were essentially trying to make our home an energy independent home ("off-grid"), which is grid tied for net metering banked electricity in excess of what we consume. Our annual consumption was about 30,0000 kWh last year, with production being just under 34,000 kWh. The prior year it was 23,400 kWh produced and 34,850 kWh of usage.

Other considerations for battery sizing is how it cycles. The larger the battery, the shallower the discharge, and since each Powerwall has its own inverter, it also means any loads we put on the system is distributed, resulting in less intense discharging of any individual battery pack. This should contribute to longer system life since deep discharges or heavy discharge loads will only occur occasionally, rather than daily. We plan on staying in our home for the rest of our lives (hopefully another 30+ years), so this strategy if part of a long term investment in our home and renewable energy systems. Others will have different perspectives on all of this. We made our decisions based on over 30 years experience with renewable energy in our prior home, reading current literature, as well as working collaboratively with Tesla and our independent installer, who did all of our grid tied renewable energy installations at this home.
Yep, we all spend our money on different things. What you have done is GREAT!!

I think Tesla should offer a way to DC Fast Charge your car if you have enough of those connected together. How many PowerWalls is a PowerPack? Kinda sad seeing that car plugged into 120V, but at least the white paint looks right parked in front of all that Tesla red.

The 1983 Porsche 911 SC is an EV Conversion from 2007. It has 17 lead acid batteries, so DC Fast Charging is not an option. It does have two chargers, which if plugged into separate circuits cuts the charging time in half. We have an 80 AMP "Signature" Tesla HPWC which delivers 18 -19 kW to our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Model S. Home CHAdeMO (single phase 240VAC) deliver 24 kW max. For us, the cost of doing that isn't worth it when the Tesla HPWC works just fine with the dual chargers in our Model S. Someday, I'll get a picture of the Model S with the Powerwalls in the background. We still have house projects going, so that likely won't happen until summer.

What trackers are you using? Impressive system. Why didn't you just go with a Tesla Powerpack? What is your daily usage? I know you have some really good wind resource in that area.

We have two types of trackers for our grid tied solar PV Zomeworks single axis tracker with manual seasonal adjustment, installed in 2015 and Wattsun (now Array Technologies) dual axis tracker, installed in 2018.

Tesla does not offer the Powerpack for residential installations. Also, the entry level cost of the basic Powerpack installed is between $250,000 - $300,000. The 10 pack Powerwall should meet most, if not all of our needs. We used 30,500 kWh of electricity last year, and produced 38,900 kWh of electricity last year.

Cool, if you need more trackers I have two Zomeworks that I never installed I will let go at a good price. I see from a previous comment you have a really high load to supply. Mine is probably below 50kwhr. I have been investigating going off grid as well. A lot of people look at EVs and solar independently but I personally see the most benefit comes from being off grid and full electric on transportation. The best benefit I see from new energy is cutting umbilical cord from corporations that want you dependent on their supply for survival. I am surprised you came to the conclusion of up to 7 days with zero power from your solar/wind. The area you are in should be relatively cloud free and lots of wind. Have you based that on actual occurrences? What was the lowest power output/longest time frame you have experienced so far? Do you think that would be reduced with more solar? What is output of solar on cloudies days as a percentage of normal? My current gut level estimate here in Alabama is 3 days would cover high 90 percent of situations, but I may be underestimating. By the way, I have recently been researching mini split heat pump systems and it turns out they come very close to gains from ground source by eliminating duct losses etc.

We are in Cheyenne, Wyoming and have recently finished installing and bringing online 10 Powerwall 2 units (140 kWh of which 135 kWh is usable). The system is grid tied. We have 4 Skystream 3.7 residential scale wind turbines rated at 2.4 kW each, and just under 8 rated kW of solar PV in trackers with Enphase microinverters. We also have a 22 kW Generac backup generator which is fueled from a 250 gallon propane tank. This system is whole house back up of our all electric home, which has a ground source heat pump for HVAC. We have 3 EVs, a 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S we purchased CPO from Tesla in 2016, a 2014 Nissan LEAF SL, and a 2008 Toyota Prius which has been converted to a plug-in hybrid with 17 kWh of salvaged 2013 LEAF batteries. We've been driving electric since 2007. Our previous EVs have been donated to the Historic Electric Vehicle Foundation Museum in Kingman, AZ. Here's a link to an online album of our EVs: Jason Bloomberg's 1993 Eagle Summit Wagon

These are all "Founders Edition" cases, and getting them was somewhat of a surprise. I bought a "referral premium" from a friend who earned one and lived in an apartment where he couldn't install it. I then purchased 9 more Powerwall 2 units from Tesla, fully expecting to get the regular white ones. Tesla knew we have one Founder's Edition Powerwall 2 and the people I was working with, without my asking for it, sent these so they matched the first one. I have no idea how they were able to do it, but it does make a nice installation which color coordinates well with our Signature Red Model S.

This is the maximal size of an installation with Powerwall 2 units. I haven't seen any others, but would love to see more of them. This is the first Powerwall installation in Cheyenne, and the largest installation in Wyoming.View attachment 627344

I am curious if there is anyone else in this group with 10 Powerwall 2 units in their system and what your experiences with have been?
This is awesome! That's my dream set up. We currently have 2 Powerwall 2's in our house, grid-tied and charged from a 12.5 kW solar array. I would love to do some wind turbines too. I definitely want to add more Powerwalls, but I'm waiting for the next generation with hopes that it will have a lot more storage capability and be cheaper.
I love these batteries though. I think they are Tesla's best product and will be standard equipment on all homes in the near future. On sunny days we're able to operate off grid...sun provides power to the house and recharges the battery, then at night the house runs off the batteries and in the morning the sun comes back up before we run out of juice. We live in a city with fairly cloudy weather, mostly in the winter, so we definitely aren't off grid all year, but most of the spring and summer we are probably off grid 80% of the time.

Reactions: navguy12
I was thinking the same thing. Why the overkill on capacity? Are you smelting aluminum on the side? :)

Best,
People tend to forget that the sun doesn't shine 100% of the time. With a system like his, he can keep his house off grid for many days at a time even when there's little to no sun or wind. Eventually, all homes will have this kind of storage capability (and more) IMO and coal fired power plants will be a thing of the past. Just need to continue to improve battery technology making it cheaper and more powerful.

So you could go off grid if you really wanted to, right? I lived off grid for a week (before PTO) with my 8.16KW system and 3 PWs and it was no problem....although the latest firmware is nowwhere near as kind with the output frequency and inverter shutoff.

Because the first thing you say when arriving home from a 5-hour freeway trip is "Oh, if only my car could charge in 25 minutes I would leave on another 5 hour freeway trip" ?

I thought about getting one when I got my first Tesla. Would be cool to have a moderately quick charger just in case. After a while 50amp circuit is plenty. There was never a case where I went home with not enough charge and though oh *sugar* I need a quick fill up. I have gotten home on road trips in the middle of the night with like 5miles left. Even a 3 to 5 hour charge is plenty at 40ish amp.

I’ve put the 25kw charger in for a client, the equipment is around 10k. Never had to revolve my habits and schedule around the car. So definitely not worth it. Cool bragging rights though

Reactions: navguy12
The 1983 Porsche 911 SC is an EV Conversion from 2007. It has 17 lead acid batteries, so DC Fast Charging is not an option. It does have two chargers, which if plugged into separate circuits cuts the charging time in half. We have an 80 AMP "Signature" Tesla HPWC which delivers 18 -19 kW to our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Model S. Home CHAdeMO (single phase 240VAC) deliver 24 kW max. For us, the cost of doing that isn't worth it when the Tesla HPWC works just fine with the dual chargers in our Model S. Someday, I'll get a picture of the Model S with the Powerwalls in the background. We still have house projects going, so that likely won't happen until summer.
This may be a naive question - instead of 17-lead acids, could you have considered one/two PowerWalls? Did it have to do with cost or availability or complexity??

We are in Cheyenne, Wyoming and have recently finished installing and bringing online 10 Powerwall 2 units (140 kWh of which 135 kWh is usable). The system is grid tied. We have 4 Skystream 3.7 residential scale wind turbines rated at 2.4 kW each, and just under 8 rated kW of solar PV in trackers with Enphase microinverters. We also have a 22 kW Generac backup generator which is fueled from a 250 gallon propane tank. This system is whole house back up of our all electric home, which has a ground source heat pump for HVAC. We have 3 EVs, a 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S we purchased CPO from Tesla in 2016, a 2014 Nissan LEAF SL, and a 2008 Toyota Prius which has been converted to a plug-in hybrid with 17 kWh of salvaged 2013 LEAF batteries. We've been driving electric since 2007. Our previous EVs have been donated to the Historic Electric Vehicle Foundation Museum in Kingman, AZ. Here's a link to an online album of our EVs: Jason Bloomberg's 1993 Eagle Summit Wagon

These are all "Founders Edition" cases, and getting them was somewhat of a surprise. I bought a "referral premium" from a friend who earned one and lived in an apartment where he couldn't install it. I then purchased 9 more Powerwall 2 units from Tesla, fully expecting to get the regular white ones. Tesla knew we have one Founder's Edition Powerwall 2 and the people I was working with, without my asking for it, sent these so they matched the first one. I have no idea how they were able to do it, but it does make a nice installation which color coordinates well with our Signature Red Model S.

This is the maximal size of an installation with Powerwall 2 units. I haven't seen any others, but would love to see more of them. This is the first Powerwall installation in Cheyenne, and the largest installation in Wyoming.View attachment 627344

I am curious if there is anyone else in this group with 10 Powerwall 2 units in their system and what your experiences with have been?
I live in Southern California where the utility rates are some of the highest in the country (SDG&E) and since I installed my Solar City (Tesla) panels, the increase in rates the Public Utilities Commission has approved over the last 6 years have erased most of what I had hoped to save when I first installed my unit. San Diego is hopefully soon going to "turn out to pasture" the contract with SDG&E and look elsewhere. NOT SOON ENOUGH!
I wish Tesla were a bit more aggressive with existing households with panels in informing those of us currently trapped by excessive
electricity rates, options such as increasing our existing number of panels and Powerwall pricing and benefits of an install. I continue to wait and hope that the price of the Powerball units will come down in price. Now that production of additional battery facilities within the U.S. and in China, shouldn't pricing become more affordable?

• Informative
Reactions: IsthataTesl.a?