Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want a Model S Estate... Your dream may come true

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a home body shop hack job.
These guys from Lotus and McLaren.
Surely they are working an arrangement with Tesla.
Of course, don't assume - verify.
Might build 25, if they get the orders. listen to video for names/details.

I didn't say it was, but what does that have to do with my comment? It will still be 1) a ton of money, 2) unserviceable by Tesla, 3) unwarrantable by Tesla, and 4) ugly (granted that's just my opinion). It will probably also be slower.

I didn't say it was, but what does that have to do with my comment? It will still be 1) a ton of money, 2) unserviceable by Tesla, 3) unwarrantable by Tesla, and 4) ugly (granted that's just my opinion). It will probably also be slower.
hi there, just to respond. It with Tesla's knowledge and understanding we're doing this project. The car warranted, and entirely serviceable. The issues we're engineering are all about future sensors and existing antenna etc as for ugly, that's a personal opinion, slower doubtful, weight savings and aero improvements are not final yet, but they are in the right place. Price? TBC.
There, happy?
QWest

hi there, just to respond. It with Tesla's knowledge and understanding we're doing this project. The car warranted, and entirely serviceable.
By whom? Is Tesla going to train all the Service Centers and Tesla approved body shops to be able to service those 25 cars? Is Tesla committing to manufacturing and stocking all the custom parts for repairs too?

By whom? Is Tesla going to train all the Service Centers and Tesla approved body shops to be able to service those 25 cars? Is Tesla committing to manufacturing and stocking all the custom parts for repairs too?

As they say in the video, they aren't modifying the electronics, and the video shows that they're only working the top and upper rear.

So the mod company should only be needed for stuff related to the modified bodywork.

As they say in the video, they aren't modifying the electronics, and the video shows that they're only working the top and upper rear.

So the mod company should only be needed for stuff related to the modified bodywork.
Modified bodywork isn't a small thing. The harnesses and sensors will be different, found in different places. If rear drive unit service requires removal of rear bumper and the bumper is custom, they won't have a step by step how to take it apart and put back together. Can it be done, sure, but that's custom work and the shop has to account for having to pay someone to figure it out. They also need charge more for insurance in case they mess up one of those custom parts. This is why some shops won't even attempt repairs of such custom stuff - makes customers unhappy if they can't put their car back together, or have to wait and pay for custom parts replacement.

Then there is safety, in this case there are airbags in the roof of the car. What if those should need replacement? What if the mods make them not deploy and Tesla gets sued? Not worth the hassle for Tesla to officially sanction the mods for 25 cars.

If you are including me in that group then yes, someone did. What's your point?
If you are including me in that group then yes, someone did. What's your point?

In your post you question whether the rear bumper needs removing and whether it’s custom. You may be referring to another custom build but the bumper in this custom car will be standard.

Other posts have questioned why he’s doing this - to allow him to carry his three large dogs, whether the car is still under warranty - it is, whether the wiring is effected - it hasn’t been touched, whether Tesla should stock spare parts for these vehicles - why should they, it’s a custom build, etc.

I wasn’t specifically targetting your post, as you make some valid points but am quite surprised at the level of negativity in this thread. This guy has a lot of high end engineer friends and is modifying his product to suit himself (something I very much approve of). Regardless of whether people think the end result is pretty ( I think it looks pretty good actually) I think we should be supportive of this level of customisation in a similar way to us as a community getting behind users repairing damaged cars.

Also, as an aside, Fully Charged is a great show, Robert (Kryten from Red Dwarf and long time electric car enthusiast) and Jonny (owns the fastest electric car in the world over 1/4 mile) are great and I usually very much enjoy their content.

In your post you question whether the rear bumper needs removing and whether it’s custom. You may be referring to another custom build but the bumper in this custom car will be standard.

Other posts have questioned why he’s doing this - to allow him to carry his three large dogs, whether the car is still under warranty - it is, whether the wiring is effected - it hasn’t been touched, whether Tesla should stock spare parts for these vehicles - why should they, it’s a custom build, etc.

I wasn’t specifically targetting your post, as you make some valid points but am quite surprised at the level of negativity in this thread. This guy has a lot of high end engineer friends and is modifying his product to suit himself (something I very much approve of). Regardless of whether people think the end result is pretty ( I think it looks pretty good actually) I think we should be supportive of this level of customisation in a similar way to us as a community getting behind users repairing damaged cars.

Also, as an aside, Fully Charged is a great show, Robert (Kryten from Red Dwarf and long time electric car enthusiast) and Jonny (owns the fastest electric car in the world over 1/4 mile) are great and I usually very much enjoy their content.

I never questioned the motives to do thins, simply questioned the claim that such moded car would be fully under warranty and serviceable by Tesla, that's all. It is because I watched the video, I know they are cutting the roof line on the back where there is an airbag and wiring harness. They are also modifying the hatch, Bye the way, the video said Tesla didn't stop them from doing the mod - that is much different than to say that they will warranty and service the car under the original warranty. You brought up example of salvage cars - while Tesla does allow rebuilt cars on the road, I heaven't heard of any of such rebuilt card being covered by Tesla's warranty. Additionally, Tesla insists that the car is built to spec, not with some modifications, before they re-certify the car to go on the road.

Modified bodywork isn't a small thing. The harnesses and sensors will be different, found in different places. If rear drive unit service requires removal of rear bumper and the bumper is custom, they won't have a step by step how to take it apart and put back together. Can it be done, sure, but that's custom work and the shop has to account for having to pay someone to figure it out. They also need charge more for insurance in case they mess up one of those custom parts. This is why some shops won't even attempt repairs of such custom stuff - makes customers unhappy if they can't put their car back together, or have to wait and pay for custom parts replacement.

Then there is safety, in this case there are airbags in the roof of the car. What if those should need replacement? What if the mods make them not deploy and Tesla gets sued? Not worth the hassle for Tesla to officially sanction the mods for 25 cars.

There'll be no custom bumper! They're not changing anything that far down. In the video they said that they had to remove stuff from the rear but they'd putting it back on.

Tesla will be able to do deal with anything unaffected as normal, and then in any places where there are changes, and Tesla can charge for any extra labor caused by the modifications. (Anyone paying for this mod isn't going to balk at that). A few things might run a little differently, but as they say, they won't be changing any of the electronics.

The key message from the video is that they've spoken with Tesla and Tesla will not refuse to service the car.

The key message from the video is that they've spoken with Tesla and Tesla will not refuse to service the car.
As in, the car will continue to receive updates, or that they will service the modded car as if it was a regular Tesla? Where in the video (time) did you hear that?
Tesla can charge for any extra labor caused by the modifications. (Anyone paying for this mod isn't going to balk at that).
Why would Tesla do that, at best the customer is content, at worst very pissed off at the bill - "sorry, out mechanics are only trained for stock cars, we had to fly in a guy from California at $500/hr". No upside for Tesla. Now, if you're saying that people who pay for the mod don't care about dropping an extra $20K per service, then ok, I get your point, but then why not just say the garage that did the mod will service the car, the only thing Tesla will do is not shut the car and its updates down.

To answer your questions: Yes the car will receive updates and serviced as a normal Tesla (aside from obvious body issues from modifications). This is all covered in the video.

If you were hoping to hear transcripts of every communication between Tesla and the project runners with annotated sources of every detail discussed, I suggest asking the people building this car directly. Nobody here is involved in this car's reconstruction and that information would be far too boring to be included in a short project log made for entertainment.

Or simply ask for them to expound in the next update due shortly, perhaps they read Youtube comments if forum-like public curiosity is your preference over direct communication.

But TLDR they say in no uncertain terms that this was all hashed out with Tesla before the project was ever considered for a green light.

I love this project. If tesla made it as a factory option I'd be driving a V85+ instead right now.

Last edited: