Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to buy: Jump Seats, rear facing child seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure you really want them? I assume you've done your research regarding height/weight restrictions and, more importantly, how hot it gets way back there in the Spring/Summer?

I loved the idea of a 7-passenger S but changed my mind based on people's reports and experiences. Probably also why Tesla stopped the option on later years.

they pop up here in the for sale section from time to time or eBay. Most don’t come with installation hardware so be mindful of that as the striker brackets are over $100 each. Also to be safe and compliant you’ll need to install an additional reinforcement bar, which is another couple hundred $ and Tesla won’t sell it to you. Feel free to reach out if you need any parts or install help

Hi, I just joined today!
I have a 2013 S with the jump seats and just bought a 2018 that doesn't have them. I was told I could not move the seats into the new car.
True?
I was thinking since the frunk on the '18 is SO much smaller than the '13 (why is that anyway?) maybe space could be a reason?

Hi, I just joined today!
I have a 2013 S with the jump seats and just bought a 2018 that doesn't have them. I was told I could not move the seats into the new car.
True?
I was thinking since the frunk on the '18 is SO much smaller than the '13 (why is that anyway?) maybe space could be a reason?
As far as we’ve seen (“we” being owners that have tinkered with the rear facing seats) the only difference is the hip strikers. They changed mid-2014. All the other parts seem the same. There’s a thread that includes the official service bulletin for the installation.

and yes, if you are buying or swapping, make sure you get all the little parts, not just the seats.

One hassle was discovering some bolts use torx bits and some use torx-plus. Not interchangeable.

Not sure what you are asking. One part you need for the rear facing seat install is the “rear crossmember” which is an extra energy absorber that fits onto existing threaded studs inside the rear bumper. That part seems to be the same for early and late model S. It was installed on all early cars (maybe the first 6000) then only with the optional RFS. That service bulletin also lists about 30 specific cars by VIN that aren’t prepared for RFS.

Best case is to swap the rear crossmember along with the RFS. Or EBay, or get an authorized body shop to install it. Tesla won’t sell you the rear crossmember directly.