Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to upgrade to Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
I'd like to upgrade my P90D to ludicrous, that option is off the site, I asked my local service center and got different responses from the staff on 3 different occasions.

Does anyone know for sure if the upgrade is still available even though it's off the website?

I don't have a source, but from what I've read on TMC I don't think you can get the Lud upgrade on a P90D any longer. You might be able to upgrade to the 100 battery though and then get the Lud upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: AMPd
I don't have a source, but from what I've read on TMC I don't think you can get the Lud upgrade on a P90D any longer. You might be able to upgrade to the 100 battery though and then get the Lud upgrade.

That would become a ludicrously expensive upgrade to replace the entire battery pack just to get the upgrade. Does it come standard on the P100D or is there still a $5k or $10k charge on top of it?

Ludicrous mode is standard now on Model S P100D. (I have one on order.) The high cost is baked into the price.

If that's the case, then I think I can see where this is headed.

All current P100Ds will have Ludicrous.

And then at some point, an in one of the next renditions of the P100D will come with an option for maximum plaid, which will carry an up charge.

Thank you all for the replies, boy do I wish TM employees knew what they were talking about.
It's getting harder and harder believing anything they say

Not trying to offend them, just wish they'd just say they don't know rather than give me false info.

I investigated this upgrade, and I was told we can still get the L upgrade for $10K. And for $20K you can have the 100 kWh battery upgrade. Total for both a ludicrous $30K. I've convinced myself that the P90D Insane mode is actually plenty fast.

However, if some morning, I get into the S and the screen has an offer for L upgrade for $5000 "buy it now"...I think I could not stop my finger from clicking it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ig_epower
I investigated this upgrade, and I was told we can still get the L upgrade for $10K. And for $20K you can have the 100 kWh battery upgrade. Total for both a ludicrous $30K. I've convinced myself that the P90D Insane mode is actually plenty fast.

However, if some morning, I get into the S and the screen has an offer for L upgrade for $5000 "buy it now"...I think I could not stop my finger from clicking it.
5k would be a very difficult deal to pass up.

There are no P100Ds with Insane mode but that's what you'd get if you spent $20K on the battery and didn't buy Ludicrous? That would make it a unicorn? Will Tesla even configure the software for the P100D to not have L?