Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warm seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SigNC

Aug 23, 2017
NC
I might be going crazy but anybody else feel like the 3 seats are warm to the point it almost feels like the seat heater is on low even though the GUI shows it off? I don't know if it's just the fact it's not vented but mine feels really warm after 10 minutes or so even if it's pretty much cool to the touch when I first get in.

Anybody else feel like this or am I going nuts?

Ahhhh....the joy of ‘non-textile’ seats...nevertheless this will be my first non-Textile car, because I can’t see spending 55-70k and having ‘cloth’ interior....I just think that would hammer the resale value.

Ski

The non-perforated Vegan "leather" synthetic seats to blame. Unfortunately. Same issue in the S/X with the non-perforated seats. They get sticky and warm rather quick. I tested the new multi-pattern seats in a new S loaner and wish I got those instead. Much more comfortable and now the seats have the same design.

Can't wait for Tesla to introduced the multi-pattern seats for the 3. That will be my pick when It's time to order the 3.

#evster, when you refer to the new multi-pattern seats in the S, you mean the dark textile?

Yes, correct. The standard free of charge interior in black.
Funny thing is that I didn't even look at those seats when ordering because I thought that by default the premium interior of course is better. Having now tested the half-"leather"/textile seats I much prefer them. Extremely comfortable, looks great and cheaper. What not to like :)

I know they're not available yet in the 3, but I'm looking forward to getting more information about the standard interior and if it will be a similar option to the base interior in X/S.

Yeah something else is going on here this isn't just non-vented seats. When it feels hot I can feel under the seat and it's warm. The metal bar under the seat is warm, the plastic under the seat is warm. Anyway, I'm going to have it looked at and will circle back.

Not noticed this, though 2 things we have noticed.

1) seats heat up Quick, and they are hotter than the “next gen” seats in 2015 S
2) they seem to stay hotter longer when turned off.

Also, not sure related though cabin temp in car, via app, is always 4-5 degrees (Fahrenheit) then hvac set too when parked for 20-30 minutes after parking.

well i finally decided the seats are just warm. It always feels like my lower back specifically is warm. however, just because I wanted to be sure i hit the seat with a FLIR camera and the warmers are in fact not on. I flipped on the passenger and it lit up like crazy within seconds well before i could feel heat.

Attachments

• 1120a840edd4e43563ce28ad57121bdf.jpg
    1120a840edd4e43563ce28ad57121bdf.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 378
Just to circle back on this I found one of the issues in what made me feel like the seat was overly hot is the fact there is a floor vent that comes out under the front seats. I guess the idea is that it helps keep rear seated passengers feet warm. However, it does not toggle on or off with the controls to select if there should be air redirected to the rear. That button only controls the face vent. I was told if you put the system in recirculate it should limit the amount of air under the seat but i've not been able to test it yet. Anyway, not the best picture but close up FLIR pic looking under the passenger seat from behind. It's clearly warm under there due to the heated vent.

Attachments

• underseat.jpg
    underseat.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 268
well i finally decided the seats are just warm. It always feels like my lower back specifically is warm. however, just because I wanted to be sure i hit the seat with a FLIR camera and the warmers are in fact not on. I flipped on the passenger and it lit up like crazy within seconds well before i could feel heat.
SigNC can you take a similar picture of the back seat with your FLIR camera? (assuming you have the update that lets you turn them on)
Thanks.

Also, not sure related though cabin temp in car, via app, is always 4-5 degrees (Fahrenheit) then hvac set too when parked for 20-30 minutes after parking.
I've noticed this also--getting into car in garage, with outdoor temp 60F and garage temp ˜65-68, car interior noticeably (uncomfortably) warm. Have to crank AC to equilibrate at first. Wonder if it's related to rear vents as stated by SigNC?

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
SigNC can you take a similar picture of the back seat with your FLIR camera? (assuming you have the update that lets you turn them on)
Thanks.
As requested, not the best pics but I'll try to get some more later. As expected due to the arm rest the middle person gets just a warm butt. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 241
The biggest issue I have with my 3 since got it on 7/17 is that the seat is too warm after sit in for 5-10 min. My back of shirt is wet after driving for 30 min. I am 155lb person. I have not had such problem with leather seat of other car.

So what i found with mine is if the seat has built up heat in in when you sit in it it's going to feel hot pretty quick. I got my windows tinted and precool the car a few minutes before I get in an this hasn't been an issue. The only other thing is that there is a heat vent for the rear seats under the car and clearly that hasnt' been an issue in the summer so it may come back into play come winter........but so far so good since i've started precooling and got tint.

The biggest issue I have with my 3 since got it on 7/17 is that the seat is too warm after sit in for 5-10 min. My back of shirt is wet after driving for 30 min. I am 155lb person. I have not had such problem with leather seat of other car.
I find the lumbar area gets incredably hot.
I didn't really notice the problem until I took the car on a road trip from my home in Burlington, ON to Maine earlier this month. After a couple of hours of seat time I was in serious discomfort. I was grabbing anything even a baseball cap to stuff between the small of my back and the seat to get some temporary relief.
At the time I'd swear the seat heater must be on.

On the road trip back home I mitigated the problem when I picked up one of those bamboo or straw woven beach matts.
I unrolled it then folded it up into a 10" wide pad that I inserted into the seat back.

I have real leather seats in others cars I own an it's not a problem. I think with the Model 3 the problem is a combination of the polyurethane seat cover material, a non ventilated or pleated lumbar panel and excessive lumbar pressure or support even when adjusted to the minimum of it's range.

Reactions: chdavis