Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning icons identified?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyday I get in the car and go. But for a brief instant between "Car Off", and car ready, a whole row of warning icons flash on and then disappear. What were they?! It was too fast to process... until I grabbed my iPhone and snapped a pic.

Since this is a glass cockpit, these warning "lights" certainly are not a bulb check. I presume instead the car is doing some initial diagnostics and validating systems as normal (unless one of these icons stays on).

image.jpg

From left to right (seven on the left and seven on the right)...
1) Air bag issue
2) Seatbelt reminder (front row)
3) Fog lights on (even if you have no fog lights)
4) Rear(?) fog lights on (not used in North America)
5) Parking lights on
6) Headlights (main) on
7) Brights on

8) Traction control engaging, or issue
9) Air suspension issue (yellow), Jack mode on (red)
10) Park (E) brake on, or issue
11) ABS engaging, or issue
12) Brake (main) issue
13) Tire pressure warning
14) Door/Frunk/Trunk ajar warning

Last edited:
Double DOH!!! Thanks, I updated the original post above now to reflect the current manual.

Seems to me, they ought to be able to only show relevant information, that it should be very simple to configure the setup of the car (on build, service center, of firmware update)... so they don't need to show 20,000+ drivers in a North America an icon for something we'll never have. Or in nearly as many cars now, the front fog light icon too. This is after all, a completely programmable glass cockpit, and Tesla doesn't have to follow every ICE rule.

Last edited:
Everyday I get in the car and go. But for a brief instant between "Car Off", and car ready, a whole row of warning icons flash on and then disappear. What were they?! It was too fast to process... until I grabbed my iPhone and snapped a pic.

Since this is a glass cockpit, these warning "lights" certainly are not a bulb check. I presume instead the car is doing some initial diagnostics and validating systems as normal (unless one of these icons stays on).

I don't think there is any reason for them. People are just used to the bulb check on startup, so it's a bit of a pacifier.

I don't think there is any reason for them. People are just used to the bulb check on startup, so it's a bit of a pacifier.
Elon at one point mentioned how rigid the requirements for indicators in a vehicle were, and that they had to simulate fixed location lamps in order to meet these requirements. My guess is there is also a "lamp check" requirement that lights all the "lamps" so one could determine if a lamp is burned out or not. So they simulated the "lamp check" sequence at startup as well.

I see someone likes to punch it... either that or you have your MS on a roller coaster track! :wink:

View attachment 24236

From left to right (seven on the left and seven on the right)...
1) Air bag issue
2) Seatbelt reminder (front row)
3) Fog lights on (even if you have no fog lights)
4) Rear(?) fog lights on (not used in North America)
5) Parking lights on
6) Headlights (main) on
7) Brights on

8) Traction control engaging, or issue
9) Air suspension issue (yellow), Jack mode on (red)
10) Park (E) brake on, or issue
11) ABS engaging, or issue
12) Brake (main) issue
13) Tire pressure warning
14) Door/Frunk/Trunk ajar warning

I see someone likes to punch it... either that or you have your MS on a roller coaster track! :wink:

:)

Ha! Actually, if I can shake the test rides for friends and neighbors (which you're seeing some of that here), I do think I can get my 60 mile/day commute down to around 290 or so (resisting all temptation of course).

But I also live on top of a small mountain (600+' elevation change), so each trip out, I'm in the green, and coming back, I'm spiking it.

Elon at one point mentioned how rigid the requirements for indicators in a vehicle were, and that they had to simulate fixed location lamps in order to meet these requirements. My guess is there is also a "lamp check" requirement that lights all the "lamps" so one could determine if a lamp is burned out or not. So they simulated the "lamp check" sequence at startup as well.

Yes. It was during a conversation/interview at the Computer History Museum earlier this year... It's easy to find in the transcript. If you watch the video, start at the 52:47 mark.... http://www.freshdialogues.com/2013/02/11/elon-musk-on-obama-climate-change-government-regulation/

Alison van Diggelen: Do you feel the government is standing in the way of innovation at all?

Elon Musk: Well sometimes…I don’t think the government tends to stand in the way of innovation but it can over-regulate industries to the point where innovation becomes very difficult. The auto industry used to be a great hotbed of innovation at the beginning of the 20th Century. But now there are so many regulations that are intended to protect consumers…I mean the body of regulation for cars could fill this room. It’s just crazy how much regulation there is. Down to what the headlamps are supposed to be like. They even specify some of the elements of the user interface on the dashboard…some of these are completely anachronistic because they’re related back to the days when you had a little light that would illuminate an image. So we had to reserve space on the instrument panel of the Model S for where all of the indicators…that a car would have…you know you’ve got these little lights…

Alison van Diggelen: Check engine or whatever…

Elon Musk: Yeah…all these little things. There is a whole bunch of them. ‘We can’t have anything else in that space. ‘ But how about we have one space and render a different graphic? ‘Oh no, because people are expecting to see them in this space.’ Nobody is expecting to see them in that space.

Alison van Diggelen: So you can’t argue with these regulations?

Elon Musk: Well you can argue with them, but not with much success. (laughter). You can actually get these things changed, but it takes ages. Like one of the things we’re trying to get is: why should you have side mirrors if you could have say, tiny video cameras and have them display the image inside the car? But there are all these regulations saying you have to have side mirrors. I went and met with the Secretary of Transport and like, can you change this regulation…? Still nothing has happened and that was two years ago.

Alison van Diggelen: So you’re banging your head against the wall…

Elon Musk: We need to get these regulations changed.

i don't know.. i actually think it's a good idea to have a 'lamp check' sequence, even on glass cockpits.. as a driver/pilot/operator, i like to have a sense of what the possible indicators are and their location.. seeing them light in a startup sequence is reassuring and sensible to me. 2¢.

i don't know.. i actually think it's a good idea to have a 'lamp check' sequence, even on glass cockpits.. as a driver/pilot/operator, i like to have a sense of what the possible indicators are and their location.. seeing them light in a startup sequence is reassuring and sensible to me. 2¢.

All modern airplanes (glass cockpit) have gone to system like EICAS (engine instruments & crew alerting system). Its a fixed position "window" that shows plain english text messages, color coded and ordered by priority. Its really a great way to see the important items (low fuel) and avoid getting distracted by a less important (washer fluid low) message that is also being shown!

Elon has it right, they just had no option (yet) but to comply with the 1970s regulatory requirement.

All modern airplanes (glass cockpit) have gone to system like EICAS (engine instruments & crew alerting system). Its a fixed position "window" that shows plain english text messages, color coded and ordered by priority. Its really a great way to see the important items (low fuel) and avoid getting distracted by a less important (washer fluid low) message that is also being shown!

Elon has it right, they just had no option (yet) but to comply with the 1970s regulatory requirement.

yeah, that would be cool too. :) fms for the tesla. where we're going, we don't need roads.