Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning - Model X Locking itself with key inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads-up for everyone, possibly a software update bug.

My model X just recently locked me out of the car. I stopped in line to wait for a supercharger and stepped out of the car briefly to throw something in a rubbish bin. My keys and phone were in the car and it locked itself as I walked away.

Had to call my wife from someone else's phone to open the car remotely...

This situation is not new and has been reported many times in the past few years. People often leave their fob and phone in the car close to each other. The phone's cell signal will mask the fob's signal to the car and as far as the car is concerned the fob is not in the car. So, the car locks. We've learned not to carry the fob and phone in the same pocket. And if in a purse, likely the same thing will occur.

The car is supposed to lock when you are in it with the fob. Check your screen, you will see it locks.

If you had an auto-locking front door at your house or hotel room, wouldn't you expect the door to lock even if you left the metal or keycard in the room?

What's to prevent someone from walking up, sitting in your car's seat and driving off while you are out?

Its not a good idea to leave your fob in your car if you get out.