Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning when playing with the center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened the center console sections pretty rapidly because I was trying to see how the mechanism works and got a warning on the screen telling me to close console lid gently. Pretty interesting that they have sensors there linked to the system.

2018_03_27_21_20_41.jpg

Right, I can see the system wanting to tell people that if they're slamming it shut, but I wasn't..I was just opening and closing it in rapid succession.

Did it successfully latch when you close it quickly?
For me, if I close it fast it doesn’t latch, so it just swings open again.

Rather than me getting frustrated from the latch not working when Itried closing it, it gave me this helpful note.
This helped me avoid frustration as I now know how the latch is designed to work.
Some may call it a warning, I think of it as a shortcut to the section in the manual about the latch.

should have spent the money making the lid latch more durable.
took me like 20 tries to close it at the showroom, which then displayed this same warning...

I believe the lid latch is durable. It is just designed to work with a soft touch.

Reactions: liuping
Did it successfully latch when you close it quickly?
For me, if I close it fast it doesn’t latch, so it just swings open again.

Yes, it was properly toggling between closed and open when I was doing this. I'm also impressed that the "locking" mechanism allows it to be opened pretty softly by pressing on the "wrong" side of the lids. In other cars, pressing on the wrong side could break the mechanism to hold it shut.

Yes, it was properly toggling between closed and open when I was doing this. I'm also impressed that the "locking" mechanism allows it to be opened pretty softly by pressing on the "wrong" side of the lids. In other cars, pressing on the wrong side could break the mechanism to hold it shut.
Interesting. I figured the note popped up when the latch tried and failed to engage repeatedly.
The trigger must be in the speed of closing, not the latch.

Time to do some experimenting :)

Designed to work with a soft touch to the point it needs a sensor to yell at the user? No thanks. $5.00 sensor? $10? $20? For $10 you could make the plastic much thicker.
Make it work with any touch and more durable.
When something doesn't 'work' people hit it harder. TV remotes, garage door openers, TVs, doors, keyboards, etc... Today I smacked the soda machine at BK, and wouldn't you know it, ice started coming out!

You don't design things around how it should work, you design around how humans work... which, for better or worse, if it's not working.... you do it 'harder'...

Reactions: N5329K and kavyboy
I was just opening and closing it in rapid succession.

Interesting. I figured the note popped up when the latch tried and failed to engage repeatedly.
The trigger must be in the speed of closing, not the latch.

Time to do some experimenting :)
The trigger, in this case, was probably just the repeated closing. The system thought that it was being repeatedly closed because it wasn't closing properly so it gave the warning/instruction.

Reactions: Zythryn