Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Adjustment Program - Touchscreen Component

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I was thinking of Canadian Tesla owners. One of my concerns is how those who went straight to a mcu2 upgrade rather than a mcu1 refurb. The cheaper route would have been to rebuild the mcu1, but the option at the time for me in July was to go to the mcu2 for 3510.00 or 2600.00 for a refurb unit. I wonder how much will be refunded if one did not pick the cheapest option to get the car back working properly. Will have to see how this unfolds over the next few months.

Just received the email today as well!! That’s crazy, but really great for owners out of warranty.

Tesla replaced my MCU at the beginning of the year due to the memory chip failure...

Im actually really happy that the fix earlier in the year was an entire MCU replacement (under warranty). I was upgraded to MCU 1.5 and the center screen and rear view camera are both MUCH clearer and have more color and clarity

Just received the email today as well!! That’s crazy, but really great for owners out of warranty.

Tesla replaced my MCU at the beginning of the year due to the memory chip failure...

Im actually really happy that the fix earlier in the year was an entire MCU replacement (under warranty). I was upgraded to MCU 1.5 and the center screen and rear view camera are both MUCH clearer and have more color and clarity

Didn’t realize when I posted that this was a Canada thread.

I’m in Orange County CA, don’t know if that makes a difference

Yes, I was thinking of Canadian Tesla owners. One of my concerns is how those who went straight to a mcu2 upgrade rather than a mcu1 refurb. The cheaper route would have been to rebuild the mcu1, but the option at the time for me in July was to go to the mcu2 for 3510.00 or 2600.00 for a refurb unit. I wonder how much will be refunded if one did not pick the cheapest option to get the car back working properly. Will have to see how this unfolds over the next few months.
With tesla being tesla, I'm guessing it'd only apply to those that got the refurb unit. Those that went MCU2 would be out of luck as tesla would claim that to be an upgrade, lol... Just my wild guess though.

I wonder if this would apply to owners who had MCU's replaced before and the new unit it showing signs of failing.
Would this still be considered under this new warranty even if your are passed 160,000km/100,000 miles?

I believe my current S had the MCU replaced by the previous owner, before I purchased the car.

No Canadians, yet. It may be a US programme only (for now). Some of the other threads on this suspect it was to do with an upcoming NTSA ruling.....and since that doesn't apply in Canada, we may have to wait. My guess is we will get it *soon*.

Of note, I replace my dead MCU1 under the extended service plan, $270 $CDN deductible, in June. I hope to get it back.

No Canadians, yet. It may be a US programme only (for now). Some of the other threads on this suspect it was to do with an upcoming NTSA ruling.....and since that doesn't apply in Canada, we may have to wait. My guess is we will get it *soon*.

Of note, I replace my dead MCU1 under the extended service plan, $270 $CDN deductible, in June. I hope to get it back.
Umm, am I not a Canadian?

I have not received the e-mail, and I’m in Canada, and I’m having persistent MCU problems (reboots, black screen, Sirius XM unusable, etc...) and during my last appointment in September, they told me it was “within spec”. I forget what metric is it (I’m sure someone here can tell me), but it’s supposed to be below 65% or something, and they said I was at 81% so as far as engineering is concerned, everything is fine (it is not).

This is my second MCU. They replaced my original a couple of years ago trying to troubleshoot some GPS issues. I got the LTE upgrade as a result and the slightly better screen density, BUT, I also ended up with the yellow band problem pretty quickly after (they did the UV treatment in September and it got rid of 98% of that).

I brought my new Model Y in to get some delivery issues fixed at Oakville and Dave helped me out (he is awesome). My wife was driving the Model S while I was there and it was rebooting and causing trouble while I was standing with him. He told me about the daughterboard replacement and I booked an appointment to get it fixed (it’s this Tuesday, November 17th). He did indicate there were hoops that had to be jumped through in order to qualify for the replacement *because* I have the extended warranty. If I *didn’t* have the extended warranty, I could just pay for the daughter board, but because I’m under warranty, I guess they’re trying to claim that it’s operating as designed and therefore, I should have to pay for it. All very nutty considering the deductible for the extended warranty is not a lot less than the repair cost itself (I think it’s around $550 or something).

I’m hoping that this new policy will just make the above hoops pre-jumped for this Tuesday’s appointment. Other than speed, since my car is pre-AP, and an early build (parking sensors weren’t even an option when I ordered), I don’t see any value in upgrading to the newer MCU. I’m not going to use the infotainment features (have them in my Y, and don’t care, but my 7 year old daughter loves them).

I just want my car to be functional.

It’s kinda strange. I have only recently had my MCU start to degrade, since I’m using the dash am & sentry mode, which MCU1 was never designed for. I’m still on my original hardware, but I did signup for the MCU2 upgrade as soon as I could with my Ranger.
You’d think people that have had issues, or replaced MCU’s would be at the top of the list for this advisory email.

I just recieved the letter today regarding the repair cost refund. I am closely awaiting details as my choice was to wait 6 weeks for an mcu1 refurb, or spend some more to get the mcu2 upgrade. The problem is early the the repair process, the cost of the mcu1 repair had not been refined enough to where the lower cost it is now. I really hope this is not just lip service on the part of Tesla, it was one expensive repair. The car was not safely drivable, there was no turn signal functionality whatsoever.

I got the email today. I haven’t done mine but my screen has been acting squirrelly as of late. Takes really long to start up, randomly turns off and takes really long to route a navigation address when I first put it in. Does that warrant replacement or does it have to fully crap out?