Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty & Maintenance Information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Note: I apologize if this information has already been posted somewhere else, but I couldn't find it.)

Has anyone heard what Tesla's plans are for the Model S warranty and maintenance program? For comparison, here are Audi's and BMW's US warranty & maintenance programs for 2012 models:

Audi
  • The first scheduled maintenance service at 5,000 miles or twelve months, whichever comes first, free of charge
  • Four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, new vehicle limited warranty
  • Twelve year limited warranty against corrosion perforation
  • Audi 24-hour Roadside Assistance for four years

BMW
  • Four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty
  • BMW Maintenance Program (No maintenance costs for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first)
  • Four years of the BMW Assist Safety Plan: Four-year, unlimited mileage subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan including TeleService, an exclusive BMW benefit which allows your vehicle to contact your BMW center directly when it needs service or maintenance.
  • Unlimited-Mileage Roadside Assistance: Receive Roadside Assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the first four years of ownership, without any mileage limitation

I like that BMW has added the no-cost maintenance program for the length of the original warranty. Would love to see that for the Model S - it would go a long way toward easing the mind of this "V1.0" buyer if they really stepped it up on the warranty and maintenance program.

It has always irked me for some reason when BMW says free maintenance for the first 50K miles. Of course it isn't free. Unless you were born yesterday or have severe brain damage, you have learned that there is no free lunch, nor are there free maintenance programs. You paid for them in an insurance package when you bought the car. And they don't pay you for driving to the dealer and sitting for hours while they do your "free" maintenance. It is four hours or more lost to eternity. I don't like gas cars.