Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty repair experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard many horror stories about getting a Tesla repaired by Tesla servicing in the US, what is it like in Australia? Wait times etc? Thanks.
It depends which state you live in, Ive used Perth, Brisbane North and the Gold Coast, they’ve all be good during my contact with them. I read a few owners get frustrated with service centres in the two biggest cities that can’t keep up with appointments.

Reactions: 121Gwatts
It probably varies based on what city you're in & how helpful the Service Centre staff are. I've got nothing but praise for the Canberra SC guys. Heck, in the past I've shown up there with minor concerns that they just fixed on the spot.

Canberra SC in 2020: Faulty charge port tinkered with, to no avail, and then immediately replaced entirely, without an appointment.

Canberra SC in 2020: Loose clips in the B pillar lining replaced for free, without an appointment.

Things got a tiny bit more formal in 2021 when it got to be more than a one-man operation!

One major issue I had fixed in Sydney (Taren Point) was in December 2021. Squeaky Front Upper Control Arms. They had previously tried to seal them with urethane, ages and ages ago, per the bulletin. I didn't even know it was an issue til I saw a $0 line item on a service centre invoice in 2020-ish. But at the end of a country holiday, as soon as I got near the coast and hit moist air in Newcastle, steering would squeak at low speed in wet weather. I was massively beyond my warranty at the time, but they comped the fix and gave me two uber vouchers for the couple of hours it took them.

Then one day earlier this year I let the main battery go flat (one and only time in 2½ years!) in Wollongong, and later that same day, the 12V battery had a heart attack and I lost headlights and front blinkers. NRMA towed me both times. The 2nd tow was from Marulan to just opposite the Canberra SC. I raised the service request in the phone app, and in the chat I wrote "it's parked across the street, use your magic button to unlock the car, or call me for a remote unlock". I also said in the message where to find the prox card. Next morning I checked the app and saw they already had the car in maintenance mode & on charge. The replacement 12V battery and some odds-and-ends that I already had on order from them (replacement aero covers after another bloody hydroplaning episode a week prior!) all got sorted by mid-morning.

I can raise a service request in the phone app for the stupidest stuff and ask for an opinion. Local service centre guys message or call me back in an hour or two & close the ticket. Or book me in. One time I said something like 'The car's Wh/km is way higher than usual, and the air con is weak and isn't clearing moisture from the cabin'. They had diagnosed the issue remotely based on data they had from the car's onboard systems - the condenser was using way more power than it should have. They booked it in, pulled the air con system apart, cleaned out a massive accumulation of leaf litter around the condenser and compressor, and now it's back to normal. Cost $135ish I think.

So really, based on my 181,787km of experience over 2½ years, don't worry about it.

When you get an error message requiring a Service call, open the app and the error message is right there for ease of logging the ticket.

I had an issue with the charging port, logged it in the app, got an mobile service appointment for 4 days later. The tech showed up at my place on time, fixed the issue and another non-urgent recall involving an o-ring on the boot opening arm.

It's been 5 days now since I picked up my MY and it's been stuck downloading the new software version. I logged a service request last night, this morning they'd pushed out the new updated and responded in the app that it's all been sorted.

My previous benchmark for great service had been Lexus, but Tesla have topped them in my books.

Nothing but brilliant service in Adelaide since the day tesla arrived. Way better than the traditional dealerships. tesla phone support in the USA is a whole new level of rubbish though. Best way is to log a fault on the app and the local mechanic will sort it efficiently, often by coming to the car. Now who else does that?

Thanks, good to hear it is better than the US. I'm in Perth, anyone have experience here? Thanks
Well I just got my rear fascia replaced.. and they did the most horrendous job putting back the tail lights in.. the gaps around the two are so wide..I'll most likely have to reinstall the lights myself. I don't know who they are hiring to work on our cars but they definitely don't care about your car. Logistic wise it's been great on the costumer side.

Well I just got my rear fascia replaced.. and they did the most horrendous job putting back the tail lights in.. the gaps around the two are so wide..I'll most likely have to reinstall the lights myself. I don't know who they are hiring to work on our cars but they definitely don't care about your car. Logistic wise it's been great on the costumer side.
Im US btw... In only 2 weeks in and already having regrets of buying this junk with such low standards of quality work. I knew there would be issues but I can't even trust the company's mechanics now. No other car company has ever had such low quality built and repair standard in my experience. It was such a simple job.

Im US btw... In only 2 weeks in and already having regrets of buying this junk with such low standards of quality work. I knew there would be issues but I can't even trust the company's mechanics now. No other car company has ever had such low quality built and repair standard in my experience. It was such a simple job.
If you’re not happy, let them know. Most shops, Tesla or others appreciate an opportunity to fix anything they have done wrong.