TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Was the Model 3 Trunk Opening Changed at All?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mdevp, Oct 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

#41 timk225, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    I find it amusing how so many people obsess over the TRUNK, of all things, whining about their baby strollers and trips to Costco. Ah, you silly consumers.......

You want trunk space, buy a minivan. You want a good EV, buy a Tesla.

• Like x 3
  2. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

Because this car will be the only offering by Tesla in this price class for some time. So people who are currently driving or otherwise looking at small SUVs, hatchbacks, station wagons etc. are looking at this car.

3. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Like everybody else?

• Like x 1
  4. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

If they are going to widen into the taillights, why wouldn't they also extend the trunk's lower lip too? Seems pointless otherwise.

(I'm fine with the original trunk opening.)

5. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Whatever it is you see, i don't.

• Like x 4
  6. Jayc

Jayc Member

#46 Jayc, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Most Model 3s will be daily cars so it is only fair that it should have the space for daily demands. Otherwise how can it be better than a comparable ICE at that price point. After you've shown off the EV performance and the novelty wears off, you are left with its utility value - don't forget.

7. garsh

garsh Re Member

Most Model 3s will be the fastest vehicle that owner has ever owned so it is only fair that it should be faster than any other car on the road.

• Like x 1
  8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

LOL. It's funny they had to make an instructional video just for that. I guess there really are people who can't figure it out.

9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Wow garsh...that was harsh.

lol I just wanted to rhyme something.

10. mdevp

mdevp Member

I know that Musk went with aesthetic over function, but when I do (rarely) need that extra room the MS hatch provides I really, really need it.

I feel after the release you are going to find many complaints wishing for a bigger opening. A lot of people are going to bash Elon's choice here IMO.

11. stopcrazypp

This was not a case of aesthetic over function, but rather rear headroom over a hatch opening. It's debatable if they can maintain a 0.21 drag coefficient if they changed the roof slope or made the car taller.

More than those that appreciate the extra rear headroom? I'm not sure about that. And they don't have an existent example to compare to (the Model S is a different size). Maybe if a Model 3 hatch is released then people can compare.

12. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

In Europe you can be sure that the trunk opening will be a sore spot in every Tesla showroom. It will not be a comparison to Model S, it will be a comparison to their existing car experiences. Rear headroom is often not so interesting, backseat is for the kids.

Not all will care, of course (there is some market for sedans, also some EV early adopters just won't care no matter what), but the size of the trunk opening of any car is a hot topic in general. That is why basically all manufacturers launch both sedans and station wagons, or even all three, sedans, hatchbacks and station wagons, all at once in Europe.

I can definitely see some families coming in and opening the trunk and saying that's a no go. Definitely.

Much less so with Model S.

That said, lacking competition and choice, Model 3 will of course sell nicely even with a sedan trunk. It just would have been an easier sell and a better car for the European market had it been a hatch like Model S.

• Like x 1
  13. stopcrazypp

Well, nobody wants to touch a station-wagon with a 10 foot pole in the US and hatchbacks are designated to the bottom rung here (that's why the Model S and A7 are called "sedans" in marketing).

I posted another thread, but Tesla sales are 62% in the US and ~15% in China, both countries with strong preference for sedans (especially in the premium market), so having a trunk really isn't a big deal.

Of course SUVs/CUVs are popular everywhere, and the Model Y will cover that and overlap with some demand for hatchbacks/station wagons in Europe.

• Informative x 1
  14. AnxietyRanger

I of course understand American buyers do not buy stationwagons and hatchbacks are rare in larger cars as well. I have spent my time on automotive forums, that is not any kind of news of course. But equally, in Europe, people want hatchbatcks and stations wagons. Sedans are for old people.

Were Model 3 launching together with Model Y, I would consider this not much of an issue. But if Model Y is really "a few years" away, then in the meanwhile my expectation is that the trunk will hurt Tesla somewhat in Europe. Hence Model S was genius. It was possible to call it a sedan in the U.S., but it is close enough for a station wagon/hatchback for Europe. It would have been a great form-factor for Model 3.

As for ignoring Europe because it s a large-enough market for Tesla, that is of course OK. But with a Model S like design, they could have had it all and had an easier time in Europe as well.

I know the argument will rage on whether the big Model 3 rear glass was because Elon wants glass or if the headroom question was otherwise unsolvable. I am in the "Elon wants glass" camp. :) Be that as it may, Model 3 would have been an easier sell in Europe with a Model S like trunk.

• Like x 1
  15. tsla007

tsla007 Member

The trunk is winder and goes further down towards to the mid bumper level.

• Informative x 1
  16. JoaoD

JoaoD Tech Enthusiast

I can also see some families coming in to another car and opening the frunk and saying that's a no go. Definitely that engine shouldn't be there.

• Like x 1
  17. AnxietyRanger

Yeah, families of TMC members. ;)

18. McHoffa

McHoffa EV.network

this post shows exactly why the new seam in the taillights is NOT the trunk opening. It would be physically impossible for that to lift up.

[​IMG]

besides, my photoshop that's similar to yours shows how awkward it would look... just wouldn't make sense like that. I am STILL not convinced these couple cars driving around are final cars.

[​IMG]

19. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Stroller? That's what the frunk is for! or in my case, the walker! ;)

20. mdevp

mdevp Member

I prefer the rear headroom actually, I'm just echoing friends and family interested in the M3 and many took one look at the trunk opening and complained. All of them were Moms/Dads with kid seats who occasionally have the large or bulky Home Depot or small furniture haul that they'd need a bigger trunk opening. My point is that I foresee people not minding the trunk opening until they need it, then running to complain about it on social media.