Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the Model 3 Trunk Opening Changed at All?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it amusing how so many people obsess over the TRUNK, of all things, whining about their baby strollers and trips to Costco. Ah, you silly consumers.......

You want trunk space, buy a minivan. You want a good EV, buy a Tesla.
Because this car will be the only offering by Tesla in this price class for some time. So people who are currently driving or otherwise looking at small SUVs, hatchbacks, station wagons etc. are looking at this car.

I agree, shortening a little bit the rear window would also allow to
wider the opening and ease integrating all the rear lights to the hatch.

See comparison with Audi Q5/Q7.

model3_trunk-jpg.221792

6.jpg

469967.1-lg.jpg

11.jpg

capture-jpg.221380

If they are going to widen into the taillights, why wouldn't they also extend the trunk's lower lip too? Seems pointless otherwise.

(I'm fine with the original trunk opening.)

They definitely DID change the rear of the car presumably to accommodate more trunk space. It went from "damn that looks hot" to "can I trade this mini X in for my mini S". The proportions are all off now and the car is left looking bloated and very unsporty.

See the direct side shot of the rear end from here:
TESLARATI.com

...and compare it to the one from here:
Tesla Model 3: Will it Be a Good Family Car? - Motor Trend

Edit: maybe definitely did is a little too strong. I'm hoping beyond hope that this is some trick of camera distortion that is there in every new spy shot of the car. It's not looking good for this hope though given what I'm seeing.

Whatever it is you see, i don't.

I find it amusing how so many people obsess over the TRUNK, of all things, whining about their baby strollers and trips to Costco. Ah, you silly consumers.......

You want trunk space, buy a minivan. You want a good EV, buy a Tesla.

Most Model 3s will be daily cars so it is only fair that it should have the space for daily demands. Otherwise how can it be better than a comparable ICE at that price point. After you've shown off the EV performance and the novelty wears off, you are left with its utility value - don't forget.

Last edited:
I know that Musk went with aesthetic over function, but when I do (rarely) need that extra room the MS hatch provides I really, really need it.

I feel after the release you are going to find many complaints wishing for a bigger opening. A lot of people are going to bash Elon's choice here IMO.

I know that Musk went with aesthetic over function, but when I do (rarely) need that extra room the MS hatch provides I really, really need it.
This was not a case of aesthetic over function, but rather rear headroom over a hatch opening. It's debatable if they can maintain a 0.21 drag coefficient if they changed the roof slope or made the car taller.

I feel after the release you are going to find many complaints wishing for a bigger opening. A lot of people are going to bash Elon's choice here IMO.
More than those that appreciate the extra rear headroom? I'm not sure about that. And they don't have an existent example to compare to (the Model S is a different size). Maybe if a Model 3 hatch is released then people can compare.

More than those that appreciate the extra rear headroom? I'm not sure about that. And they don't have an existent example to compare to (the Model S is a different size). Maybe if a Model 3 hatch is released then people can compare.

In Europe you can be sure that the trunk opening will be a sore spot in every Tesla showroom. It will not be a comparison to Model S, it will be a comparison to their existing car experiences. Rear headroom is often not so interesting, backseat is for the kids.

Not all will care, of course (there is some market for sedans, also some EV early adopters just won't care no matter what), but the size of the trunk opening of any car is a hot topic in general. That is why basically all manufacturers launch both sedans and station wagons, or even all three, sedans, hatchbacks and station wagons, all at once in Europe.

I can definitely see some families coming in and opening the trunk and saying that's a no go. Definitely.

Much less so with Model S.

That said, lacking competition and choice, Model 3 will of course sell nicely even with a sedan trunk. It just would have been an easier sell and a better car for the European market had it been a hatch like Model S.

Reactions: mdevp
In Europe you can be sure that the trunk opening will be a sore spot in every Tesla showroom. It will not be a comparison to Model S, it will be a comparison to their existing car experiences. Rear headroom is often not so interesting, backseat is for the kids.

Not all will care, of course (there is some market for sedans, also some EV early adopters just won't care no matter what), but the size of the trunk opening of any car is a hot topic in general. That is why basically all manufacturers launch both sedans and station wagons, or even all three, sedans, hatchbacks and station wagons, all at once in Europe.

I can definitely see some families coming in and opening the trunk and saying that's a no go. Definitely.

Much less so with Model S.

That said, lacking competition and choice, Model 3 will of course sell nicely even with a sedan trunk. It just would have been an easier sell and a better car for the European market had it been a hatch like Model S.
Well, nobody wants to touch a station-wagon with a 10 foot pole in the US and hatchbacks are designated to the bottom rung here (that's why the Model S and A7 are called "sedans" in marketing).

I posted another thread, but Tesla sales are 62% in the US and ~15% in China, both countries with strong preference for sedans (especially in the premium market), so having a trunk really isn't a big deal.

Of course SUVs/CUVs are popular everywhere, and the Model Y will cover that and overlap with some demand for hatchbacks/station wagons in Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick
Well, nobody wants to touch a station-wagon with a 10 foot pole in the US and hatchbacks are designated to the bottom rung here (that's why the Model S and A7 are called "sedans" in marketing).

I posted another thread, but Tesla sales are 62% in the US and ~15% in China, both countries with strong preference for sedans (especially in the premium market), so having a trunk really isn't a big deal.

Of course SUVs/CUVs are popular everywhere, and the Model Y will cover that and overlap with some demand for hatchbacks/station wagons in Europe.

I of course understand American buyers do not buy stationwagons and hatchbacks are rare in larger cars as well. I have spent my time on automotive forums, that is not any kind of news of course. But equally, in Europe, people want hatchbatcks and stations wagons. Sedans are for old people.

Were Model 3 launching together with Model Y, I would consider this not much of an issue. But if Model Y is really "a few years" away, then in the meanwhile my expectation is that the trunk will hurt Tesla somewhat in Europe. Hence Model S was genius. It was possible to call it a sedan in the U.S., but it is close enough for a station wagon/hatchback for Europe. It would have been a great form-factor for Model 3.

As for ignoring Europe because it s a large-enough market for Tesla, that is of course OK. But with a Model S like design, they could have had it all and had an easier time in Europe as well.

I know the argument will rage on whether the big Model 3 rear glass was because Elon wants glass or if the headroom question was otherwise unsolvable. I am in the "Elon wants glass" camp. :) Be that as it may, Model 3 would have been an easier sell in Europe with a Model S like trunk.

Reactions: lukex4
I prefer the rear headroom actually, I'm just echoing friends and family interested in the M3 and many took one look at the trunk opening and complained. All of them were Moms/Dads with kid seats who occasionally have the large or bulky Home Depot or small furniture haul that they'd need a bigger trunk opening. My point is that I foresee people not minding the trunk opening until they need it, then running to complain about it on social media.