Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the Model 3 Trunk Opening Changed at All?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer the rear headroom actually, I'm just echoing friends and family interested in the M3 and many took one look at the trunk opening and complained. All of them were Moms/Dads with kid seats who occasionally have the large or bulky Home Depot or small furniture haul that they'd need a bigger trunk opening. My point is that I foresee people not minding the trunk opening until they need it, then running to complain about it on social media.
And headroom definitely for using it as a taxi. Such a fuss over the trunk etc. Look at the car, if it doesn't suit, don't buy it.

• Helpful
Reactions: hehe
I know that Musk went with aesthetic over function, but when I do (rarely) need that extra room the MS hatch provides I really, really need it.

I feel after the release you are going to find many complaints wishing for a bigger opening. A lot of people are going to bash Elon's choice here IMO.

Heck no. Not with me. The trunk is the least of my concern. Yes, literally every other aspect of the car is more important.

So I'm with the "I want a better trunk opening". I want to fit my road bicycle into it - with the tire removed. If I can do that with a minimum of fuss, then I'll be content enough. The original opening looked a little tight in the Y-axis. If it's a few inches taller, that will make me happier.

We all have different reasons for wanting a Model 3. I drive a Prius right now which has lots of room. I have actually stacked 3 road bicycles in the back of my Prius along with luggage and two passengers. I don't expect a Model 3 to be a Prius - it's a sedan not a hatchback, but it would be nice if the car that I've been obsessing over could fit the road bicycle that I will want to load into it several times a week so that I can ride with my work cycling group.

I don't think these mules that are being spotted are the final versions. I think they are the original ones and that the final versions are on an indoor track. I don't see anything different about the steering wheel, I don't see anything different about the trunk opening. These are things Elon said are changing and I presume that they are coming in the final reveal. People worrying that they got dropped, I don't buy it. I think Elon is a showman, and like Steve Jobs guarding that first iPhone prototype against leaks, I think there's a final version of the Model 3 that will be revealed in about 7-8 weeks that will have the changes that he's been hinting at and we haven't seen them yet.

Reactions: Jayc
Welcome @pfmahoney. I have expressed similar sentiments that the mules we are seeing may not be final versions. Of course the counter argument is we are too close to production so testing should be on production cars.

I think these mules may be giving Tesla just enough test coverage of the production line without including things not officially revealed - the final interior being one.

Last edited:
Well, nobody wants to touch a station-wagon with a 10 foot pole in the US and hatchbacks are designated to the bottom rung here (that's why the Model S and A7 are called "sedans" in marketing).

I posted another thread, but Tesla sales are 62% in the US and ~15% in China, both countries with strong preference for sedans (especially in the premium market), so having a trunk really isn't a big deal.

Of course SUVs/CUVs are popular everywhere, and the Model Y will cover that and overlap with some demand for hatchbacks/station wagons in Europe.

In Europe pretty much every car is a hatchback. Even the 4x4's are hatchbacks - or have a split with the top as a hatchback.
Most popular car is a Ford Focus. It and it's competitors are all hatchbacks. If I wasn't on my work computer I'd take a photo of the company carpark and show this. Pegeots and typical hatchbacks everywhere. BMW's and Audi's - pretty much all hatchbacks here. I have a Vauxhall Astra - also a hatchback.
Do American's realise that the phrase "sub-compact" which could translate as "small small" is probably clever psychology by the car company's marketing to make small car buyers feel inferior so they can sell you a 4x4 that has the larger profit margins? "You don't want that small car - have a look at these new 4x4's we have over here where I get a bigger kick-back"! As Jon Stewart once commented about a 4x4 (and i'm paraphrashing) "to tow the boat you don't own up the hill you don't live near" :)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I owned an all-wheel drive station wagon for many (20!) years and while it was super in most wet and slick conditions and < 10" of snow, I would agree with this observation:
"All wheel drive just means you get stuck in deeper snow."
Robin

So I'm with the "I want a better trunk opening". I want to fit my road bicycle into it - with the tire removed. If I can do that with a minimum of fuss, then I'll be content enough. The original opening looked a little tight in the Y-axis. If it's a few inches taller, that will make me happier.

We all have different reasons for wanting a Model 3. I drive a Prius right now which has lots of room. I have actually stacked 3 road bicycles in the back of my Prius along with luggage and two passengers. I don't expect a Model 3 to be a Prius - it's a sedan not a hatchback, but it would be nice if the car that I've been obsessing over could fit the road bicycle that I will want to load into it several times a week so that I can ride with my work cycling group.

I don't think these mules that are being spotted are the final versions. I think they are the original ones and that the final versions are on an indoor track. I don't see anything different about the steering wheel, I don't see anything different about the trunk opening. These are things Elon said are changing and I presume that they are coming in the final reveal. People worrying that they got dropped, I don't buy it. I think Elon is a showman, and like Steve Jobs guarding that first iPhone prototype against leaks, I think there's a final version of the Model 3 that will be revealed in about 7-8 weeks that will have the changes that he's been hinting at and we haven't seen them yet.
There are at least some differences between these cars and the original ones. These cars have the AP2 sensor suite (and possibly more) that the original cars do not have. (could these sensors have been retrofitted? possibly) The blue and gloss black colors were not seen on the original cars either. (Could they have been repainted? definitely.)

There haven't been any clear shots of the steering wheel, so we don't know if it is significantly different or not. (we can confirm its still round at this point)

The headlights are different on some of the new vehicles, and the fog lights appear to be different on all of them.

A lot of people swear that the front and rear of the car have been restyled. I am not one of these people. I think the sheet metal is is essentially unchanged.

So I definitely think the recent sightings are a new set of vehicles. Are they the final version? Who knows? My guess is that there won't be any significant changes in either the appearance or the current interior of the car. (and no HUD)
I think it's more likely that there might be some new sensors or software features. Perhaps something related to the possible sensors on the C pillars.

Only a few short (or long) months to find out.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and DR61
nitely think the recent sightings are a new set of vehicles. Are they the final version? Who knows? My guess is that there won't be any significant changes in either the appearance or the current interior of the car. (and no HUD)
I think it's more likely that there might be some new sensors or software features. Perhaps something related to the possible sensors on the C pillars.

Only a few short (or long) months to find out.

Good points all around. I'm partially convinced but I'd rather hope and dream. I guess we will just wait and see. As you say, only a few long months to find out. Thanks for your thoughts.