Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Was the Model 3 Trunk Opening Changed at All?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said they'd enlarge the trunk opening on the Model 3 but was the prototype used during the Solar roof announcement a newer prototype or an old one? I could only find one shot of the trunk but I couldn't tell if it was changed or not.
model-3-oct-event.png

Something has definitely changed. You can see in the release candidate that the trunk opening now includes the outer rear lights whereas before the silver prototype trunk bisected the rear lights. That's something.

I also heard people say that the trunk looks longer, and that the back is more vertical than the prototype, which appears to lean forward a bit more. This may all turnout to be camera distortion, but I can see what people are seeing.

Reactions: RobStark
The opening looks like it got larger. It now includes both sections of the tail light.
View attachment 221376
View attachment 221374 View attachment 221375
My bet is that the split is the same as it was in the top pictures.
I think there is still a seam going along the top of the outer portion of the tail light, but it is very hard to see in these pictures either from the lighting or the angle they are taken from.
Why would they have a gap running down the center of the tail light if both halves moved together on the trunk lid?
I think they just lined up the upper trunk lid seam with the seam on the rear side reflector / charging port door on the other side.
(I could be wrong... We'll see when somebody gets a shot with trunk open on the new cars)

My bet is that the split is the same as it was in the top pictures.
I think there is still a seam going along the top of the outer portion of the tail light, but it is very hard to see in these pictures either from the lighting or the angle they are taken from.
Why would they have a gap running down the center of the tail light if both halves moved together on the trunk lid?
I think they just lined up the upper trunk lid seam with the seam on the rear side reflector / charging port door on the other side.
(I could be wrong... We'll see when somebody gets a shot with trunk open on the new cars)
This is pure speculation, but in the last picture that gap looks like it could be a piece of plastic that is stuck on there to throw us off. It looks like it protrudes a little. I think my eyes are just seeing what they want to see though. I agree, we need an open trunk shot!

I haven't figured out how to post pictures here yet, but there is a shot in the compete set of photos that is of the passenger side rear quarter that is almost square to the car.

Tesla Model 3 Sighting 2017-04-04 2:18pm PDT. All Images.
Hopefully someone else can post the picture.

If you follow the seam in that shot it proceeds down and then turns horizontal back towards the front of the car for an inch or two.
With that shape I can't see how the outer taillight sections would lift with the trunk lid.

I also think you can see a seam running across the top of the outer tail light in the same picture

I haven't figured out how to post pictures here yet, but there is a shot in the compete set of photos that is of the passenger side rear quarter that is almost square to the car.

Tesla Model 3 Sighting 2017-04-04 2:18pm PDT. All Images.
Hopefully someone else can post the picture.

If you follow the seam in that shot it proceeds down and then turns horizontal back towards the front of the car for an inch or two.
With that shape I can't see how the outer taillight sections would lift with the trunk lid.

I also think you can see a seam running across the top of the outer tail light in the same picture

FIgured it out.
Here is my vote on how it will work.
Capture.JPG

FIgured it out.
Here is my vote on how it will work.
View attachment 221380
I believe that is correct. In my opinion, any change to the opening won't have anything to do with the exterior, it will involve the part underneath the trunk lid which doubt we'll see anytime soon. Only way to know for sure if anything changed.

I personally have never been bothered by the trunk opening size. I think most of the pictures did not give frame of reference for comparison and were at angles that foreshortened the actual opening size. I feel that most people think the original opening is much smaller than it really is/was.