Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing our new babies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are touch less car washes that just use pressurized water. I wonder about the all cloth car washes that I've used on my other
cars. They did fine on several generations of bmws, jaguars, and such. I do believe in putting on a good polymer/ceramic wax/paint protector before I did this. Re-applied every 3 months or so.

So, to wash a new born baby, you would get a small tub and baby shampoo. Mix a few drops of shampoo with warm water and use a cloth to lightly caress the baby skin. Repeat, then rinse.

Is that what you wanted to know? Or....

To wash the car, you get better quality if you do it manually. I use Meguire Wash and Wax mixed in a bucket and a sponge. Filled bucket about half a gallon. Using a sponge, dipped into the bucket, and begin to lightly go over the car all around once to loosen dirt. I repeat again. Then, rinse.

I plan to bring it to an auto body shop after a few years to have them treat the car. Not that expensive. Around a few hundred dollars anyway.

Tesla paint tends to be soft and can scratch easily. If you want to keep the paint scratch free, you should avoid automatic car washes. Also consider getting paint protection applied. I've got Opti-coat (Opti-Coat Pro Coatings | Opti-Coat LLC) on mine - best if applied by a professional.

One relatively easy and eco-friendly way to wash your car is using a "no rinse" cleaner such as Optimum No Rinse (see
). If going the more traditional bucket and sponge approach, you'll want to use the two bucket method (
).

Hope this helps.

The manual advises against car washes with brushes. I find hand washing my car a pain. So, what to do? Do you think an occasional trip thru the car wash will damage the finish?
Love this car!
You should hand wash your baby weekly. And enjoy it. Think of it as extra alone time with your baby. Take pride in how good she looks because you did it.

Another alternative you have in Santa Barbara is a waterless car wash like Alexander's Mobile Waterless Car Wash. Here's their Facebook page. And yelp for them: Alexander’s Mobile Waterless Car Wash - Santa Barbara, CA

Up in our area we use Eco Green Auto Clean who has a permanent location in Redwood City. Last year Tesla Wash was doing waterless car washes at the Mountain View SuperCharger complete with vacuuming your car. Waterless car washes/services are a growing business and the results are surprisingly great. We bought a car wash package from our guys and the car really looks fabulous after we get it done.

You can buy the kits for doing a waterless car wash yourself (actually it uses a little water, so not waterless, but way less than a typical car wash where the dirt and cleaning chemicals are an issue and in California where water is a precious commodity) but since you weren't into washing the car yourself, this is a really good alternative.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
I have been doing a two bucket wash using optimum no rinse, but recently switched to a pressure washer with the Chemical Guys Honeydew soap and a foam lance. Super easy, only hard part is getting it dry fast enough so I am looking at some of Chemical guys products to help with that.

LRM_EXPORT_20180426_101759.jpg

I have been doing a two bucket wash using optimum no rinse, but recently switched to a pressure washer with the Chemical Guys Honeydew soap and a foam lance. Super easy, only hard part is getting it dry fast enough so I am looking at some of Chemical guys products to help with that.

View attachment 296953
I do same thing. Use chemical guys after dry

• Helpful
Reactions: Az_Rael
I already have a gas pressure washer, but it hasn't been used in 2-3 years. If I can get it started this summer, I'll do all the maintenance I need to it and keep using it. Won't get my M3 until next year, so I'll practice on my Infiniti. I also have the CG honeydew foam and my cheap Amazon foam gun should be here tomorrow. I'll give that all a go and see if it's adequate.

I do not recommend the two bucket method. You will not get all of the dirt out of the mitt in a timely manner - as evidenced by all the dirt you'll find in the bottom of your soap bucket after washing.

Instead buy ~6 microfiber wash mitts from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07145FF4Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1. Wipe one panel.
  2. Flip the mitt.
  3. Wipe another panel.
  4. Throw it in a bucket - don't use it again for this wash.
  5. Grab a new mitt.
  6. Repeat 1-5 until car is wiped down.
  7. Wash all microfiber mitts in a washing machine with warm water and scent/softener free soap.
  8. Tumble dry low.

Reactions: RUNSILNT
What does anyone recommend to do to just get off the dirt without washing. I'd like to just quickly get off the dust without a full wash. Yesterday a bird placed a perfect shot on my windshield. My wife cleaned the windshield without telling me!

View attachment 296953

A popular way to dry is to use a heavy duty electric leaf blower. You can get away with washing your car without touching it if you use a pressure washer, foam cannon, and leaf blower. Good way to avoid getting any swirls

I just answered this on another post too, but I took mine in to a carwash for the first time and came home with a scratch :(

After that I just got a Greenworks 2000 PSI pressure washer from Lowes but you can find it on Amazon too but a lower pressure. Then I bought Chemical Guys Honeydew soap and foam canon bundle on Amazon, awesome scent by the way. I just do the two bucket setup that chemical guys suggests and honestly with the pressure washer it is a quick step and I am done in a few minutes. Highly recommend the setup.