Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water dripping into the trunk from the rear glass?

Water leaking into your model 3 trunk?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a slightly rainier area of the world than California (Vancouver, BC) and have very little water enter the trunk of my car even on the rainiest of days.
I would love to see a video of the trunk being opened in the rain. What is "very little?" How much do you expect as a normal amount? After owning quite a number of cars, this is the first one that has ever dumped ANY water into the trunk.

It doesn't matter how much it rains where you live. It only matters that it does rain.

I honesty haven’t had any problems with run off and it’s rained quite a bit. No torrential downpours though while opening the trunk, but certainly moderate rain.
Wow. I can't imagine what could be so different in our situations. It doesn't need to be raining. In fact, I've only ever opened the trunk AFTER a rain, when the water is just sitting there. The only difference that active rain would make, is the rain falling directly from the sky into the open trunk. The water on the glass and trunk lid are there well after the rain has stopped...

Maybe, as others have mentioned, my car is kept too well-waxed? The water beads "too much?"

Wow. I can't imagine what could be so different in our situations. It doesn't need to be raining. In fact, I've only ever opened the trunk AFTER a rain, when the water is just sitting there. The only difference that active rain would make, is the rain falling directly from the sky into the open trunk. The water on the glass and trunk lid are there well after the rain has stopped...

Maybe, as others have mentioned, my car is kept too well-waxed? The water beads "too much?"
That is certainly possible. Let your car get dirtier and the problem vanishes :D

• Funny
Reactions: AustinPowers
I am still waiting for rain to test this. It has not rain here since I took delivery in August. I think it rained 1 night and that's about it. It is supposed to rain here starting today for a few days... we will see. I tried to test this when I did my car washes. Spray the car with water and open the trunk to see what happened. I don't see much water slide down to the trunk.... maybe a few drops. I guess it won't be a problem for me even if water does go down.... 1) it never rains here 2) I have nothing in the trunk LOL.

We had some a heavy downpour tonight and when I got some stuff out of the trunk after I parked in the garage, not a drop got in the trunk. The lip stopped everything that was coming off the rear glass (that includes the water that came off the trunk and onto the rear glass).
I'm starting to think that the water-beading coating applied to my glass coupled with the water-beading sealant on the trunk paint is contributing to the significant cascade of water into my trunk. It has been raining for three days straight now, and as my car slowly becomes dirtier and dirtier, the problem has slowly diminished. Still there, mind you, but much less than when it is clean.

You guys have seen the videos of this happening, right? I'd supply my own, but I'm rarely compelled to set this all up so my trunk is empty FIRST (before dumping all the water off of it) and then standing out there in the cold and.... but one day I'll be compelled to make my own vid.

Hmmm. A compelling reason to stop with all the car-care products? I think I'd still rather have a pretty car and no water in the trunk...

Well the one chance I got to test it yesterday, it stopped raining as I was to open the trunk to put my laptop bag in there. There was water on top of the trunk lid, and the water slided on to the rear window, but not a drop went down into the trunk. I looked at the trunk rubber catch and the rear windows edge. It does look like if it rains hard enough, the water would slide over the gap and into the trunk.

Lots of chances to test this lately here. And I'm now convinced that having a product on the paint and glass that beads the water, is indeed the way to make the problem worse... or even happen at all. Without beading, the water just doesn't gain the speed required to jump the gap and dump into the trunk. So... once again, I can't have nice, shiny things...

A polished, shiny car and glass = Water in the trunk every time. Dull or dirty paint and glass that doesn't bead = dry trunk.

At least now I know why some people have never experienced this issue, and some of us have experienced it every time. Now you have another way to discover who keeps up with wax and polish.

Excuse me while I go scrape sandpaper over my glass and paint.

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx