Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water gushing in under the glove box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an official fix for this issue yet? I floored our 2022 YP today and at least 2 cups or more of water came flying out from under the glove box. It was crazy.

We are 4 hours from a dealer and Grand Rapids Michigan say it can't be fixed by the mobile tech. I have heard of other people getting it fixed via a mobile tech. Maybe Detroit can do it.

Here are some photos I took of the car when I took it apart. The ECU and GPU is right in the area of the wetness. NOT GOOD!!

Attachments

• IMG_1995.JPG
    IMG_1995.JPG
    952 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    646.9 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2007.JPG
    IMG_2007.JPG
    847.6 KB · Views: 394
Is there an official fix for this issue yet? I floored our 2022 YP today and at least 2 cups or more of water came flying out from under the glove box. It was crazy.

We are 4 hours from a dealer and Grand Rapids Michigan say it can't be fixed by the mobile tech. I have heard of other people getting it fixed via a mobile tech. Maybe Detroit can do it.

Here are some photos I took of the car when I took it apart. The ECU and GPU is right in the area of the wetness. NOT GOOD!!
Ive seen threads about this but not sure if I ever saw the underlying cause. What is allowing the leak?

Here are some photos I took of the car when I took it apart. The ECU and GPU is right in the area of the wetness. NOT GOOD.

This has been a problem for a long time, but it seems Tesla is unwilling to acknowledge this problem exists, and is unwilling to find a solution for it.
I urge owners to make use of the lemon law!!! Do let Tesla BS you in „Well we changed the filters and cleaned the air duct.“. THIS DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM OF WATER ENTERING THE VEHICLE!!!!

Ive seen threads about this but not sure if I ever saw the underlying cause. What is allowing the leak?
Amazing that Tesla has NOT acknowledges this and owners are accepting this problem! I am suppose to take delivery of my MY soon. Second try though. The first time I rejected the vehicle because of such a bad alignment of the front fender and the A-Pilar.
I am truly considering not getting a Tesla at all. Tesla is truly appalling in regards of their treatment of customers, current and future! Currently I am driving a Hunday Ioniq 5 and am very happy with it.

This has been a problem for a long time, but it seems Tesla is unwilling to acknowledge this problem exists, and is unwilling to find a solution for it.
I urge owners to make use of the lemon law!!! Do let Tesla BS you in „Well we changed the filters and cleaned the air duct.“. THIS DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM OF WATER ENTERING THE VEHICLE!!!!
This is not a common issue. How do you know Tesla is unwilling to fix this issue since you don't even own one yet. Please stop spread this non sense solely based on your "internet search".
If you take it to the service center, they will investigate with you to find the problem and fix the issue.

This is not a common issue. How do you know Tesla is unwilling to fix this issue since you don't even own one yet. Please stop spread this non sense solely based on your "internet search".
If you take it to the service center, they will investigate with you to find the problem and fix the issue.
Not so. I am talking to some friends in Germany. Same problem. Service Centers are Trying BS everyone on this issue. Show me one post where this was fixed!

… and, if you know that his gets fixed then please post the solution her.

Not so. I am talking to some friends in Germany. Same problem. Service Centers are Trying BS everyone on this issue. Show me one post where this was fixed!

“Depends on where it’s coming out, if it’s behind the glovebox toward the center of the car it may be the same misaligned part I had, something with the air delivery causing a water incursion which showed up first rain after I took delivery.

Service fixed it and detailed the car for me. Not ideal, no, but it’s been perfectly dry since.”

Reactions: DrGriz and nate704

“Depends on where it’s coming out, if it’s behind the glovebox toward the center of the car it may be the same misaligned part I had, something with the air delivery causing a water incursion which showed up first rain after I took delivery.

Service fixed it and detailed the car for me. Not ideal, no, but it’s been perfectly dry since.”
Happens after car washes and heavy rain. It accumulates in front of the blower motor. When fan goes on high it will through the water into the interior filters. Ones they are soaked they drip water into the interior. Tesla just changes the filters (2) on will move on. You will never never know they are wet until it start smelling it water drips on the inside.

Happens after car washes and heavy rain. It accumulates in front of the blower motor. When fan goes on high it will through the water into the interior filters. Ones they are soaked they drip water into the interior. Tesla just changes the filters (2) on will move on. You will never never know they are wet until it start smelling it water drips on the inside.
I fully quoted the response of someone stating that the service center fixed a misaligned part and it resolved the issue. (Showing you at least one post where this was fixed.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and nate704
I had my 22 MYP for a year now. I had two days of heavy pouring rain on the day of delivery and the next day, and I had to drive more than 500 miles first two days after the delivery.
And many more days of rain/carwash afterwards for a year with no water leak. I took apart frunk/HEPA filter assemblies 20+ times and dash/glovebox/cabin filter/center console more than 5 times to install other devices, but I have not seen any trace of water at all.

Reactions: DrGriz
Do you work for tesla? Lol. What nonsense, because it didn’t happen to you. How do you expect the OP to replicate this issue on the day of his service date. Are they going to tear apart the car to “investigate with you to find the problem and fix the issue “ if it’s not raining and has not been raining to have water leak. Even if they did, those techs will probably just say it’s within tesla specs.

OP has a legitimate issue with his expensive car and you seem to just dismiss it. I get tesla is the best think next to air we breathe, but it’s not nonsense off the internet.

Do you work for tesla? Lol. What nonsense, because it didn’t happen to you. How do you expect the OP to replicate this issue on the day of his service date. Are they going to tear apart the car to “investigate with you to find the problem and fix the issue “ if it’s not raining and has not been raining to have water leak. Even if they did, those techs will probably just say it’s within tesla specs.

OP has a legitimate issue with his expensive car and you seem to just dismiss it. I get tesla is the best think next to air we breathe, but it’s not nonsense off the internet.
First of all, "investigate with you" means Tesla will take your input and investigate on their own. Sometimes you need to be there to show them what's happening, so that's what that means.
It doesn't means that you work with tech side by side to take things apart. (I didn't even think I needed to explain on this level).

Yes, OP has an issues and he/she can take it to the service center to identify the issues and get it fixed instead of asking on the internet forum for others' experience.
Do you really think Tesla service center will make the OP replicate the rain? They can use water hose to "investigate" There are so many other ways that automotive techs use to investigate. OP can provide as much as information regarding the issue

People with no leak issue will not actively come here on the forum and post that they don't have any issue (unless responding to other posts). People with issues will come here and complain while waiting for their appointment date, but most people don't come back and update the result.

Do you see where I am going? Instead of trying to escalate the issues up the proper channel with Tesla, posting things like, "probably just say it's within the spec" is the nonsense.

It will not help you in any way just to come here and start asking people if they have the same issues. Will that fix your problem? or Will it comfort you that a few more people experience the same issues?
Are you just going to nothing and keep saying ""probably just say it's within the spec"?

Reactions: DrGriz
First of all, "investigate with you" means Tesla will take your input and investigate on their own. Sometimes you need to be there to show them what's happening, so that's what that means.
It doesn't means that you work with tech side by side to take things apart. (I didn't even think I needed to explain on this level).

Yes, OP has an issues and he/she can take it to the service center to identify the issues and get it fixed instead of asking on the internet forum for others' experience.
Do you really think Tesla service center will make the OP replicate the rain? They can use water hose to "investigate" There are so many other ways that automotive techs use to investigate. OP can provide as much as information regarding the issue

People with no leak issue will not actively come here on the forum and post that they don't have any issue (unless responding to other posts). People with issues will come here and complain while waiting for their appointment date, but most people don't come back and update the result.

Do you see where I am going? Instead of trying to escalate the issues up the proper channel with Tesla, posting things like, "probably just say it's within the spec" is the nonsense.

It will not help you in any way just to come here and start asking people if they have the same issues. Will that fix your problem? or Will it comfort you that a few more people experience the same issues?
Are you just going to nothing and keep saying ""probably just say it's within the spec"?
But isn’t that what this forum is about? Asking and posting experiences. So the OP was using this forum for such. Isn’t the internet used as a knowledge base. OP will most likely go to the service center to get his car fixed, but the more he knows the better he will be.

I know if the OP takes his car and he cannot replicate the water issue, tesla will just dismiss it. If OP points outs gaps and estimate where the water is leaking, on a dry day, they will probably tell him, it’s within tesla specs. I guess you were lucky enough that your car didn’t have any issues or got the issues corrected if you had any. I had two issues that were dismissed as it’s within specs. So it’s better if OP doesn’t except the within specs BS. If I was OP, I would hose water on the car of the scheduled service, and then take it to them with the interior wet.

How he used the forum and the venues of internet to vent, research, ask,etc is absolutely what those and these sites are about

Reactions: Ami-Sven
I had my 22 MYP for a year now. I had two days of heavy pouring rain on the day of delivery and the next day, and I had to drive more than 500 miles first two days after the delivery.
And many more days of rain/carwash afterwards for a year with no water leak. I took apart frunk/HEPA filter assemblies 20+ times and dash/glovebox/cabin filter/center console more than 5 times to install other devices, but I have not seen any trace of water at all.
Consider yourself lucky!!! I’m a 4 month owner of a 2023 M3 and about 3 week’s ago, been through several car washes within the 4 month’s of owning and not 1 drop of water! Again, 3 weeks ago, I go to car wash and water is leaking on my wife’s foot(she just got done with Chemotherapy too😐), coming from under glove box panel. Took a week to get it serviced, they replaced windshield, saying “manufacturer defect”. Waited OVER the 48hrs they told me to wait before car wash(touchless car wash and yes I always put it in car wash mode)started leaking in same spot!? It was serviced 10/17/23 and took it for car wash on 10/20/23(Friday of course🙄). I immediately called Tesla and not only did they delete the pic’s I sent, video, but my message too, where you write to the service in app.(the 1st leak, you can still see the pic’s, video and messages)??? Plus, later that night app updated to next step with quote and they want to charge me $200plus tax for labor and out of nowhere to check tire leak? I never said a word about my tires(18” 42psi, so no problem there?)I haven’t been able to speak to someone yet. Anyway, it’s Monday, technically right now and at 7am, you can bet I’ll be at Tesla, besides they also forgot to put a clip back on in frunk? I really hope it’s the “hepa” compartment problem(but you’d think that’d be the 1st thing they’d check??? Idk…but being a 4 month owner, I’m not paying a dime(Warranty), and if they can’t get water to stop coming inside my car, definitely a “Lemon law” clause! No car, especially brand new, should be leaking in the interior of one’s car! I just hope everything gets taken care of peacefully, cause I really do enjoy my M3! Plus, I’ve noticed “unable to charge” codes popping up? It’s charging, but if water is getting into wiring, with attached garage, I don’t even want to say anymore…….🤨 I’ve attached some pic’s/video’s/codes for y’all to see! Remember, this is only happening during car washes right now, but I live in Wisconsin and this is the time of year where we start getting a lot of snow/water!!! I’d LOVE to hear any feedback, or anything y’all might think. I’ll also update y’all very soon! Gonna try to attach files right now! Thanks for the comments you guy’s have put out there already!(well, let me put pics up, but not video, but there ya have it)Remember this is AFTER they put new windshield in.SSL✌️
IMG_1076.png
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1076.png
IMG_1067.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1076.png
IMG_1076.png
IMG_1080.jpeg
IMG_1067.jpeg