Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water intrusion after rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I took it back to the same SC in March, this time the senior service manager personally took charge and researched about it and had the top portion of the seals reinstalled after adjusting the spacing. The problem is completely eliminated on the right side FWD. On the left side FWD, when I tested with copious amounts of simulated rainwater sitting on top, just a few drops come in when opened, and not always. I can live with that. Overall I am satisfied with the senior service manager's attitude and work ethic despite them being super busy with tens of cars in service. He also thanked me for insisting on a solution so that they were able to learn how to fix it.

That's odd. My service centre knew how to fix it two years ago. But it's just too bad that cars are not coming out of the factory with this fixed already.

I saw this on the Tesla Forum and immediately went out to eBay and purchased this adhesive bead and applied it just as Mr Ed says and the problem has gone away. Works perfectly, I even showed the Dublin Service Center (when I went in there for the Enhanced Anti Theft install) and they were impressed and photographed it. I find all kinds of good suggestions on these forums. Might be a design flaw, but the car is still nice to drive.

Reactions: losangeles
I got same issue since first year it delivered.
I usually parked under ground so it does not happen to me a lot.

When I was in the SC last week for drivers door pop noise, I told them the issue and hope they can fix. On the second day I went to pick up, I have been told that this is how it’s designed, and no solution.

Sorry for the delay. I am in the hurricane Ian area, so just got internet etc. back. I posted the cure on the Tesla forum but it is no more.

This should help.

I have had this problem and I got this solution from another Tesla web site and posted in here in another discussion:

>>>
I live in the SF Bay Area and was inundated as well, but about a month ago the issue came up on the forums and one of the members had a successful solution. He went to Ebay and found:

1/4'' X 10 ft HALF ROUND BLACK TRIM ACCENT BLACK MOLDING UNIVERSAL 0.25" Wide

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F4%...

And installed this long adhesive bumper on the upper edge of the top edge glass of the car, adjacent to the edge of the falcon wing door, (not on the door, but the flat surface of the top of the car) and ran it a little before and after the door. When the doors open, then spill water from the top of the door and the long bumper edge catches and redirects the water down the back of the car. He says that stops the water completely. It is pouring here in the SF Bay area, it works and I don't need the seals worked on

Yes, it is a design flaw, this aspect was not thought out well, but perhaps they will have some solution in the future. That is what we get for having fancy doors!
>>>>

Mike P

We are dong well. We have new solar panels and 3 Powerwalls so never lost power and was able to provide power to two other homes as well. Many homes in our community were flooded but we only had minor damage to the exterior of our home.

Reactions: mbp11