Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water Leak Issue (in Frunk)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve cleaned the car (M3) for the first time today.

Was looking under the hood and noticed a bit of water here and there. So I decided to lift the plastic cover which covers the filter and battery etc. I then noticed that one of the connections on the battery had a bit of car wash liquid on. Bit concerned as I don't think this is safe.

Has anyone else noticed this issue or is this exclusive to me?

I’ve cleaned the car (M3) for the first time today.

Was looking under the hood and noticed a bit of water here and there. So I decided to lift the plastic cover which covers the filter and battery etc. I then noticed that one of the connections on the battery had a bit of car wash liquid on. Bit concerned as I don't think this is safe.

Has anyone else noticed this issue or is this exclusive to me?

Similar to that area in any other car after you've washed it. If you're thinking not safe from an electrical shock point of view there's no problem. The earlier cars did have an electrical issue (low voltage) in that area funnily enough, due to LHD RHD changes that had affected the loom routing and associated connectors but there was a "silent recall" to reroute some wiring whenever the cars were next in the service centre.

bonnet
/ˈbɒnɪt/

noun
1. a woman's or child's hat tied under the chin and with a brim framing the face.
BRITISH
the hinged metal canopy covering the engine of a motor vehicle.

No engine so technically not a bonnet

What do you call the same panel at the front of a VW Beetle? Do you therefore call the panel covering the engine at the back of a Porsche 911 a bonnet? Methinks it is a flawed definition. ;)

What do you call the same panel at the front of a VW Beetle? Do you therefore call the panel covering the engine at the back of a Porsche 911 a bonnet? Methinks it is a flawed definition. ;)
On a beetle isnt the cover at the back the bonnet and the front one the boot. Don't need to call it it froot or frunk since it is the only one so no confusion
I don't like the adoption of US terms but froot sounds dumb so what you gonna do?

We just tend to say “front” when using the front boot i.e. “I’ll just put this in the front” and only rarely adding the word “boot” for clarification. Given that the car is American I think we can be forgiven for sharing the “frunk” terminology too!

I do still refer to the panel over the front boot as the bonnet though. [Edit: Those of you with dual motor cars even have an "engine" under there, deep down in the depths!]

Last edited:
Reactions: Donncha
On a beetle isnt the cover at the back the bonnet and the front one the boot. Don't need to call it it froot or frunk since it is the only one so no confusion
I don't like the adoption of US terms but froot sounds dumb so what you gonna do?
Here ya go...
A trunk is a packing case as in packing a trunk for a sea voyage or off to boarding school. A similar item that implies forward facing would be 'chest':D

Here ya go...
A trunk is a packing case as in packing a trunk for a sea voyage or off to boarding school. A similar item that implies forward facing would be 'chest':D
yes early trunks were literally a trunk strapped to the back of a car.
and we call it a boot as an evolution of the box where carriage drivers stored their boots.
glove box is similarly self explanatory but not sure how any of the history helps?

I washed my car yesterday. Opened up the frunk at the end of cleaning and there was so much snow foam inside it was crazy. Not actually in the well of the frunk but all the surrounding areas and the underside of the bonnet - a really suprising amount.

Here ya go...
A trunk is what an elephant has.
A chest is something Barbara Windsor was famous for, and I do believe she had a pair of those😂

I washed my car yesterday. Opened up the frunk at the end of cleaning and there was so much snow foam inside it was crazy. Not actually in the well of the frunk but all the surrounding areas and the underside of the bonnet - a really suprising amount.
Yeah, I get the same. I pretty much have to clean the underside of the bonnet & frunk area every time I wash the car.