Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way points are coming!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that a lot of the above feature requests would be met if Tesla provided CarPlay to users. Google maps, Waze, Spotify using personal phone accounts, streaming radio etc. would all be on the screen.

Apple allegedly don’t charge a license fee to automakers for the CarPlay service so one bird could kill a number of stones if they implemented it. The same is probably true for Android Auto.

I think that a lot of the above feature requests would be met if Tesla provided CarPlay to users. Google maps, Waze, Spotify using personal phone accounts, streaming radio etc. would all be on the screen.

Apple allegedly don’t charge a license fee to automakers for the CarPlay service so one bird could kill a number of stones if they implemented it. The same is probably true for Android Auto.

Tesla have said that they are very mindful of the security implications - I don't know enough about CarPlay etc to know if this a real concern or just an excuse.

Hopefully they will provide "soft way points" as well as "hard way points" so you can tell the system you would like to stop to xxx, but if there is traphic problem etc, it may take you a different way. Eg do stop unless it adds more then 30 minutes drive time.

There is a risk of an app tricking a user to type in their Tesla password etc.

That's not really (not at all in fact) unique to carplay. Carplay simply lets users run the apps on their phone, and display/interact on the screen. Those apps already need to be on the phone, and already need all details typed in... so if there's a risk, it's the apps... not carplay.

If I had to guess, it's more about how it works with the existing system. Where there is only one display and it's so heavily used to control the car and it's functions I expect it's quite an upheavel to allow something else to run, and yet still have important controls, like aircon etc available and usable.

On other cars I've used, the dash display that displays speed etc is unchanged. The second screen usually only does Nav (and though it often has other settings in it, they're not needed while driving), and then buttons all over the shop to control the car.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm sure it can. But I think it'd be quite a big change to the UI both from Tesla's work perspective and from the users.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artiste
If I had to guess, it's more about how it works with the existing system. Where there is only one display and it's so heavily used to control the car and it's functions I expect it's quite an upheaval to allow something else to run, and yet still have important controls, like aircon etc available and usable. [/u

That’s why I’ve fallen out of love with the single display in the M3. I still like the simplicity, and I certainly don’t want to go back to a cockpit in a car that looks like it’s been lifted out of the latest Airbus passenger plane. But one screen, however large, is very limited in the amount of information it can display at any one time. Jabbing your finger at the screen at 70mph to get the info you want isn’t ideal, especially if you’re right handed but have t use your left hand. . As a minimum I’d like a decent binnacle display (something like Audi’s virtual cockpit) and a HUD.

One thing I miss from my Mercedes is the wide-angle reversing camera - I found it really useful for reversing off of driveways or reversing out of a parking space. I'm sure it could be done with a software update as in the Mercedes it looked like 3 images stitched together so it wasn't great quality and was a bit distorted but you could at least make out if a car was coming.

I live just down the road from these chargers at the Cambridge services. If they're currently free, I'll go and try them out!
Yeah, they’re free (you can check in the Ionity app) but only because half of them are broken and the other two are limited to 30kW. But otherwise great :rolleyes:

0A8235EA-6476-4C96-B7F0-1ADE20BF2890.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: tsh2
Do you mean context sensitive speed limiting? I like that idea, a lot
No, just a simple ‘set the limit’ drive manual. Wouldn’t even mind set to current limit but my foot’s in control.
Tesla uses the same pointless ‘bong’ as my 2012 Prius. I just want to drive without upsetting speed cameras but not with TACC

Tesla have said that they are very mindful of the security implications - I don't know enough about CarPlay etc to know if this a real concern or just an excuse.
That sounds very much like an excuse by Tesla not to use it. As you know, I was a user of Android auto over CarPlay in my ICE life. Android Auto is FAR easier to use. However if you look at the security histories of Google and Apple you'd know that you can't really worry about the security of CarPlay.