Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Way to limit ludicrous mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is a lot to say for a Tesla for a kid if one has the money -

1. Safety
2. We only have Teslas at the moment and we were not going to buy a car for the year of learners permit year.
3. The accident rate is high for younger kids, I assume there is a chance that they would hit some one else’s beloved Tesla (a lot around here) and having the crash avoidance might prevent it.
4. She drives very carefully knowing it’s my beloved car.
5. If we do set her free in it, TeslaFi tracks every move.

Of course my plan is to get her a cheaper yet still safe car when she gets her license. One with a 75 mile range is about perfect. Otherwise my State Farm agent will buy a new lake house in my behalf.

But I’m not planning to outright ban the kid from the Tesla. Yet.

Reactions: Andy7
My son turns 15 in a few months, and I finally found an EV for under $5k, so I bought it. A 2012 mitsubishi imiev for $2900. It accelerates so slow you would swear it has three cylinders and a 3 speed slush box.
The bms shows 12.5kwh, which is plenty for his needs. It will never be on the highway as we live fairly far from the nearest one, compared to the range of the imiev.

Once he turns 16 I am transferring it into his name and putting his own policy on it. That way, if he gets into a wreck, nobody can sue me because I am in no way associated with the car.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I'm currently teaching my son to drive (L Plates) in my M3P+ (on chill mode), and also in grandmas 14 year old Hyundai. Obviously very different cars, so he gets to experience both.

Which would I rather have him learn in? A modern car loaded with safety features, warning systems, fully trackable, can limit max speeds and thus chill mode only (no sport mode), huge reversing screen, and complete ease of driving. Or a car with limited (if any) safety features, old equipment, no control over speed, etc.
Hmmm - I'd like to keep my son safe!

Once he gets his licence, he will drive in an old car which I can't track and can't limit speed, that doesn't have good cruise control or self drive systems. I need to weigh that off against the risk of an accident or kerb-rash if he takes my car, but at least in my car he is driving a much safer car. I suppose it comes down to "how much do we value the lives of our kids?" - especially in the years when they are most at risk when driving.

"I don't want my kids driving my expensive car!"

Tesla wins IIHS Top Safety Pick+ honors: Model 3 is 'very safe car'

money > safety of kid.
ok boomer.

Have you considered that it's possible to find a way to crash and die in a Model 3 despite its phenomenal safety rating?
What if the kid kills other people but he/she and the car are perfectly fine?

It's not just about the car's safety record, but how predictable teens are with cars and risk-taking—especially teen boys. I know because I was one and there's a reason that males under 25 have the highest insurance rates. It's not because we're too careful or are too risk-averse. :D

Granted, anyone's kid could be an exception, but the OP is looking for a way to limit the power output and it appears this has been resolved.

Would you let your teen kid ride a motorcycle? I ride one, so I know the risks. The people most likely to get in to accidents aren't even the newest riders, but new riders about a year in....all the confidence with insufficient skills and limited experience.

1. Safety
2. We only have Teslas at the moment and we were not going to buy a car for the year of learners permit year.
3. The accident rate is high for younger kids, I assume there is a chance that they would hit some one else’s beloved Tesla (a lot around here) and having the crash avoidance might prevent it.
4. She drives very carefully knowing it’s my beloved car.
5. If we do set her free in it, TeslaFi tracks every move.

Of course my plan is to get her a cheaper yet still safe car when she gets her license. One with a 75 mile range is about perfect. Otherwise my State Farm agent will buy a new lake house in my behalf.

I did forget -

6. Chill mode & Creep mode mandatory

The poor kid got in the car and forgot to set her profile. I was in the passenger seat and it was a totally empty parking lot so I watched. My profile has creep off and clearly not chill :)

She taped the pedal to release hold and it didn't move. Pushed harder and car went back quicker than expected. Paused, tried again, repeat. We had a good discussion on stopping safely and starting over from scratch if something isn't as expected. Even if it takes getting out/in and/or asking for help. Driving flustered can spiral downward quickly.

Of course, speed limit mode is pin locked so if she was on her own it wouldn't be an option :)

Teaching your newbie driver how to operate your vehicle is an emergency "tool" or safety measure. What if you broke your arm or your driving glasses? Wouldn't teaching someone in an empty parking lot be easier than under stressful emergency conditions?

Then there is another side: would you let your parent drive your Tesla?

/Leslie Ann

waiting for Y

Just to chime in, it may be a good idea to take any youngster learning to drive to a safe area and let them explore the limits of the car. Acceleration, handling, grip, braking, in a variety of road conditions, so that they can get some of the speed thrills out of their system and understand the car. In addition to showing them videos of cars having accidents of course...

"I don't want my kids driving my expensive car!"

Tesla wins IIHS Top Safety Pick+ honors: Model 3 is 'very safe car'

money > safety of kid.
ok boomer.

I don't think it's as much about the cost of the car as it is the preposterous acceleration. I barely trust myself driving this thing, and I think I've got the slowest Model 3 there is.

A Boeing 747 is safer than a Model 3, but I wouldn't put a 16-year-old in the cockpit.

Thats why we have speed limit mode which also puts the car in chill mode.

Otherwise my State Farm agent will buy a new lake house in my behalf.

I found out when my son was starting to drive (about 18 years ago) from a USAA agent that the insurance was cheaper if I had a third car. We had two decent cars and an older, mildly beat-up, Taurus wagon we were going to get rid of. They said if he was designated as the driver of the Taurus my rate would be less than if we had two cars because then he would be assumed to be driving the most expensive of the two. So for the next few years, until he went off to college, he drove the Taurus, unless we were all together in one of the others. Then we donated the Taurus as it was not worth selling.

This week I learned that kid away at college can get an insurance break. Also, car parked most of the time (my truck for example) can be put on hold for liability with the comprehensive still active for hail damage and such. And, finally, kid can be rated on any single car in the household that has full coverage to be covered on any of the cars. We save a good bit of insurance money by getting a cheap car.

So... Just purchased a "cheap" car for the kiddo. Ended up with an older leaf. Absolutely hated the dealer experience, played all the games such as online price requires financing, trade in, and other stuff. But, I found a little fun in it. The sales guy mentioned several times that he would take my Tesla for a spin while I was doing paperwork. I offered a test drive but he declined. But he did want to see the inside and the big screen. I told him I would pull the car up so it was easier. Whipped out the phone and summoned the car over. Surprised, he got out his camera and filmed it.

Reactions: SmartElectric
If that isn't how it works, I would appreciate an explanation of how it does work. I am making decisions here and if that isn't how it works I would like to know best practice to protect myself.

Well, any real explanation will require talking to a lawyer (I’m not) and your insurance agent (I’m not).

In general, however: you have liability for the actions of a dependent minor child in your household, and it doesn’t matter whether it’s “in his name” or not. It’s all de facto (and, I assume in my most non-lawyerly opinion, de jure) in your name. Others have posted how having additional vehicles (so the presumably lower-cost vehicle belongs to the new driver), having Junior away at college, etc., can reduce your rates, but: simply having a licensed driver member of your household in the worst demographic (i.e., teenage boy) will drive your insurance rates up. I speculate that having a separate insurance policy would actually cost more (and would do zero to shield you from liability concerns)....

Once again, I’m not a lawyer: if this is something you wish to pursue, I strongly recommend speaking to one. The best answer I believe will boil down to “lots of insurance,” and do what you can to reduce the rates—but it’ll cost you....