Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waycross, GA charging help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UltradoomY

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2020
Tampa, FL
Heading up to my Aunts house in Waycross for Thanksgiving in my new Plaid.
I noticed on ABRP and Tesla car navigation that there aren't any superchargers in Waycross and my Aunt doesn't have a 220V plug for me to use.
We will be getting there with about 11% or so left leaving from Tampa and planned on plugging in to regular old 110V and letting it sit.

But hey - that's what TMC is great about - anyone around Waycross that wouldn't mind me charging at their house or know of a charging set up near there?
I am definitely willing to pay! Just would like to show the Plaid off to the Waycross community and I can't if I am stuck charging all weekend on 110V just to make the trip back to Tampa.

Any help is appreciated - either here or in DM.
Cheers.

Also check out plugshare.com (and turn on residential chargers), but yeah, that whole area seems like a dead zone.

What I usually do in these situations is this: plan your trip in ABRP as a round trip, not single-ended. Put in your starting location (Tampa), the destination (Waycross) as a waypoint, and then back to Tampa. At the waypoint (Waycross), tell ABRP that you are charging at 1.5kW for as long as you expect to be there. ABRP will do all the math necessary to give you a charging plan that works on both the arrival and departure ends. I.e. it won't have you show up with 11% if you have no way of getting enough charge at 120V to get back to a Supercharger. For example, for a 24 hour stop:

1636728043678.png

For my plan, notice that it has me arrive at Waycross with 33% (not 11%) so that I can make it back to my first Supercharger stop on the return trip:

1636728131701.png

Obviously if you are going to be driving around in Waycross, that complicates things a little and you will have to account for that, but the trick is to use ABRP to plan your whole trip as one big trip, not think about it like two independent trips.

Thank You!!!
Really appreciate this - Didn't think about adding the destination as a stop.
Will play with it a bit - there is a SC in Jacksonville that wouldn't be too far out of the way and get me there with a little over 50%.
Cheers

Yes, Plugshare is your friend, and shows three Level 2 choices -- two auto dealers (who can be hostile to non-cusrtomers) and one hotel 10 miles away. Those will be slow, but in an hour or two (or three) you could get enough to make it across to the next Supercharger. (way across -groan-)

Plugshare does not show any shared residential sites (the original reason for Plugshare) in that area but you might also look at those along your route when planning your trip. Those residential sites are really last resort, though, for two reasons. First, the listings are often terribly outdated. Second, often people add them by mistake, not realizing they are "sharing" their site.

FYI, Georgia Power does plan to put a DCFC site into Waycross, filling a gigantic hole in the map. That would be a CCS + Chademo station, so would only serve Teslas with the Chademo adapter and then only at 50 kW.

• Love
Reactions: UltradoomY
Update - made the trip - decided to not stress it.
Put in the address on the Plaid navi and it said to stop in Lake City for 6 minutes... ended up stopping for 15 to use the Waffle House bathroom and change the kids and we got to Waycross even with the cold weather (38 degrees) with 48% charge left.
Plugged into 120V and let it sit for 2 days other than taking family for quick rides.
By Friday morning it was at 90% charge and we made it down to Gainsville to charge for about 20 minutes and it was totally fine.

I really need to reset my range anxiety from the Model Y performance to the Plaid - it just has soooo much more range.

Appreciate everyone's help.

FYI, Georgia Power does plan to put a DCFC site into Waycross, filling a gigantic hole in the map. That would be a CCS + Chademo station, so would only serve Teslas with the Chademo adapter and then only at 50 kW.
Since I mentioned it here, I'll provide an update ... Georgia Power's installation in Waycross is now planned for spring.

Their typical install these days includes two stations, each with both "standardized" charging plugs: SAE CCS and Chademo. Each station can push 62.5 kW, and the two stations can pair up to offer 125 kW if the car can absorb that (and no other car is there). A visiting Tesla car would need to use Tesla's Chademo adpater, which is limited to 50 kW throughput.

Reactions: UltradoomY