Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wayland Invitational IV Electric Drag Races!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now the fun part - James let the Killacycle rider take his car out for two runs and he managed a 12.643 followed by a 12.715... I think they registered this as some sort of NEDRA SP/A3 class record.

3756750495_667d8bd769.jpg

My best personal time with me driving was 12.82 seconds. We never quite had it fully charged in performance mode. I was always around 75% to 85% charged up. It really made a difference. The previous evening I was at 50% charge and did 12.95 seconds. Tonight with a 75% charge or higher, I was consistently at 12.82 to 12.85 seconds.

Then it got interesting....

Scotty Pollacheck, the rider for the Killacycle, was not running much because they were having shifting problems. So he was hanging out with the Tesla guys. Scotty is a lightweight (135 lbs) professional driver/rider. I let him do two runs in the Tesla Roadster Sport (we have video) and he promptly set the new Tesla records.

12.643 and 12.715. You have to do two runs within 1% of each other. If you have it, then the lower of the two counts as the record. We submitted the record to NEDRA (Natl Electric Drag Racing Assoc) for the SP/A3 class, which is where the Tesla Roadsters are classified.

I think we can likely run at 12.5 seconds. It clearly requires the following:
1) Lightweight driver that knows what they are doing.
2) Fully charged in performance mode.

It is probably not too surprising that the best times of the event (both for 2008 model and 2010 Sport) came from the lightest weight drivers. Scott from the Killacycle team even suggested additional things like bending the sideview mirrors back as far as possible to reduce wind resistance. When you are trying to eek out another thousandth of a second every little thing helps. I wonder if they still consider you production if you removed the side view mirrors completely, and even the windshield wiper blade. Nobody resorted to anything that extreme.

my 1/4 mile results

The owner of 217 broke 13 seconds repeatedly on saturday, but I am a little heavier.

Here are all my results in VIN 217
Friday:
60' 1/8 mile @mph 1/4 mile @mph
2.095 8.557 82.56 13.419 100.18
1.903 8.367 82.56 13.444 99.97
2.066 8.532 82.50 13.400 100.07
2.108 8.583 82.43 13.465 99.11
2.134 8.606 82.44 13.477 100.03
2.069 8.538 82.36 13.416 99.14

Saturday:
60' 1/8 mile @mph 1/4 mile @mph
2.091 8.399 85.50 13.087 104.15
2.056 8.357 85.53 13.050 102.93

On friday my state of charge varied from about 45% down to about 30% ( declining with each run obviously )
On saturday my state of charge on the first run was about 85% and 83% on the 2nd run.
All of the runs were in performance mode, but the runs friday were spread out over 3.5 hours, so the battery had time to cool between runs. I think the rest of the data will show that battery temperature is also very important. ( Do more 1/4 mile runs to stay warm and the times will stay good )
I think that we could have gone at least a tenth faster if we had kept the battery warm by either driving it around in performance mode or getting on the charger in performance mode.
Its also totally unclear how much time the 2 foot launch is worth because there was no control in that experiment.
To the best of my recollection on saturday: we charged in range mode during the afternoon, then drove to the track in standard mode, then waited for a while, then we charged in range mode, and then flipped to performance mode to run, then ran a few in between watching killacycle and white zombie - and that wasnt getting the batteries the tiny amount of extra warmth that they wanted.

Rich

Scotty Pollacheck's first run was in DD's 2008 and it was particularly fun when his time was exactly 13.000

I thought that record of 13s flat was going to stand the test of time and then TS managed to get just under in his car. Meanwhile Scotty had moved onto showing what could be done with the Roadster Sport.

Scotty mentioned to me that the Tesla would be a perfect car for "bracket racing" where consistency counts. Given a particular car and driver combo, with knowledge of battery SOC and temp you could probably predict the 1/4 mile with more accuracy than any of the gasoline vehicles that have more variables to take into account.

"Otmar (designer and builder of the Zilla .6 megawtt DC motor controller) is beefing up his AC controller that spins a certain AC motor, and is installing a lithium pack into his electric-only Insight."

The motor is an EV1 motor, as in the GM EV1.:cool:

IMG_8505.JPG

Joseph,
Your sig line: "Success is 99% failure" is especially applicable here. I was hoping to drive the Insight to the Wayland Invitational Drags last weekend, but didn't finish the battery monitors in time to do so. Someday I'll get that 200 mile range pack integrated but not having it this weekend felt like failure.

Drag Racing Adventures

Drag racing a Roadster is a ton of fun! Zooming up to 100 mph in a safe, legal environment is great, but the real fun was hanging out with the hardcore EV drag racing community. None of the Tesla owners had done it before, so we learned a lot about drag racing.

On Friday, with my state of charge below 50%, I was stuck in the area of 13.3 and 13.4 second 1/4 mile ETs, with speeds in the 99's. Late in the evening, I decided to try two-footed launching and on my second attempt hit 100.07 mph on a 13.363 second 1/4 mile ET. My best time Friday was 13.318 seconds ET. While I was excited to finally break 100 mph, I was disappointed that I was so far from breaking below 13.0.

On Saturday, with a nearly full charge, my first two runs were each 12.989 second 1/4 mile ETs, at 103.42 mph and 103.48 mph. Those were single foot launches, nothing different from what I was doing for most of the runs the night before. Apparently, the state of charge made a big difference!

In addition to finally getting below 13 seconds, the first run was against White Zombie! WZ pulled out in front, but then I held on and was very slowly gaining as we hurtled down the track together, with WZ hitting 102.11 mph on a 12.468 second 1/4 ET. Words cannot describe how exciting it was to be flying down the road pacing/slowly gaining on an EV drag racing legend. I was lucky they didn't get a sub-12 time on that run so that I could feel like I was actually in the race for a few seconds.

The second run was also a blast. I ran against Scott Ferguson in his matching Radiant Red Roadster. We both got excellent starts, with close sub 0.1-second reaction times, and crossing the 1/4 mile line just 0.0478 seconds apart. That really was a race!

In the course of the evening, several of us offered John Wayland an opportunity to make a run in our Roadsters, but it was Scott who got John into the driver's seat. I was able to get into the opposing lane and race against Plasma Boy himself on his first run in a Roadster. John's reaction time was half mine (0.049 vs. 0.109 seconds) and he crossed the 1/4-mile line 0.0957 seconds ahead of me.

I'd like to thank John Wayland for all he's done to raise awareness about the capabilities of EVs, for organizing this event, and for inviting us to join in the fun.

My thanks to the whole NEDRA community for making our group of Tesla owners feel very welcome in a group that has worked so passionately for decades to created custom vehicles that are now getting competition from production vehicles that only require someone willing and able to write a big check. I just sent in my payment for NEDRA lifetime membership and plan to do this again!

Finally, I'd also like to thank Northwest Handling Systems for throwing a party for our arrival and providing charging for our road-tripping Roadsters.

Last edited:
Scotty Pollacheck, the rider for the Killacycle, was not running much because they were having shifting problems. So he was hanging out with the Tesla guys. Scotty is a lightweight (135 lbs) professional driver/rider. I let him do two runs in the Tesla Roadster Sport (we have video) and he promptly set the new Tesla records.

Thank you James, Scotty had a blast!!

I have uploaded the videos as promised. Enjoy! :smile:

YouTube - Scotty Pollacheck sets a new world record of 12.64 seconds in a 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport

YouTube - Scotty Pollacheck backs up his new world record of 12.64 seconds with a 12.71 back up run

Drag racing the Tesla Roadster

This was just a super fun time drag racing the Tesla Roadster! I call it "plug and play" racing because there's nothing to do but fasten your helmet and stomp on the accelerator. (They did often have to remind me to roll up my windows!) My 1/4 mile times were extremely consistent the second night with a full charge: mostly between 13.030 and 13.040 seconds. John Wayland (the master!) did pull off a 13.010 as the lowest time in my car (VIN 282). My max speed of 104.23 MPH was quite exhilarating! On my initial runs I couldn't really identify the finish line clearly. But I knew I should hit it at around 100+ MPH and that's when I saw the checkered line flash past. It was frustrating to not break the 13 second barrier. Tom Saxton's best time (under 13) was only 0.049 faster than mine. Tom being 65 pounds lighter may be the most significant difference between our identical radiant red Roadsters. Tim, the experienced driver of the White Zombie, had a 13.03 time in my car, similar to all my runs. At his suggestion we tried boosting my tire pressures to 44 psi all around in the hopes of reducing rolling resistance; but we saw no improvement.

I'd like to add my thanks to all those who played a role in showing us novice dragster geeks such a great time. John Wayland and his associates really rolled out the red carpet for us and made us feel like royalty. There were a lot of very enthusiastic people there eager to see the cars and learn more about this wave of the future. It was great fun talking to so many nice folks and spreading the word. We were also interviewed by a camera crew doing a documentary on EV conversion efforts that should be interesting viewing when it is released.

My many pictures have been posted at Wayland Invitational. I'm slowly adding my video clips and will also have scans of all my racing tickets up soon for your perusal.

Thank you SO much for catching such great video of those two runs. Mine were not nearly that good. Clearly your experience with the Killacycle has made you an expert at filming these races.

There was 0.339 secs between the best sport (12.982) and non-sport (12.643) times. We'll be aggregating the data at some point and from that you may be able to fairly determine what's "typical". Those best times had comparable "lightweight" drivers and might be considered "fair".

The tickets for James' sport (car # 703F) vs my non-sport (706F) can be seen
here and here and here to compare times at the various distances.

There were four 2008 roadsters and the one 2010 sport there; no 2010 non-sport model.

Is it fair to say that the 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport is typically about 0.3 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than the 2008 Tesla Roadster?

I would say that is a fair estimate. Somewhere between 0.3 and 0.4 seconds. I think ScottFe's data supports that.

How much of that, do you think, is solely due to the better tires?

Unknown at this time. I plan on buying the regular Tesla tires as my everyday tires. I will be saving the performance tires for special weekends. In order to determine the difference on the Roadster Sport, I will likely race on the regular Tesla tires a few times.

What's the typical 60ft time for the various Roadster models, maybe that would shed some light on this?

ScottFe has this data in the previous post.

Also, were there any 2010 Tesla Roadsters (non sport model) there? If so, what kind of times did they turn?

We could find out soon. A local 2010 non-sport Roadster shows up next week. He was with us this weekend in Portland and I know he is excited to try the same with his Roadster.

There are two local tracks that we have available. We are going to investigate the recharging facilities at each in order to determine our options in the Seattle area. At the Portland International Raceway they have a long tradition of electric drag racing with the White Zombie (John "Plasma Boy" Wayland) leading the way. So we had access to the tracks main electrical power. There were four 50 amp outlets available all night and two were reserved for the Tesla Roadsters most of the night.

In order to get good performance, it requires planning in advance.

1) Charge in range mode before leaving for the track so that you arrive with as high a charge as possible.
2) Bring an MC with 40 amp ability to recharge your Roadster.
3) Make sure that a 14-50 (or 10-30) receptacle will be available.
4) Do four or five runs, then get your Roadster back on the MC recharging for about 30 minutes. Each run drains about 4 or 5 miles from your ideal range.

If you start at 100% in performance mode and do performance mode recharging while at the track, you will stay above 75% for the entire evening and post good runs. Your best times will come when you are near peak charge and have been in performance mode for about two hours.

Last edited:
Did you just mash the pedal with TC off? If so, I'm surprised you didn't get more wheel spin on launch.

Yes. I am total novice. I was not doing the two foot launch by preloading the acceleration while holding the brake. I tried once and totally messed it up. So I just was being very basic in my runs.

The tires were the performance tires. Maybe that was helping.

The difference was obvious when a pro (Scotty) got in my car. He knew how to do it and immediately lowered the time by 0.2 seconds. I am sure he could do even better with more runs.

TomSax is a lightweight owner of a Roadster and he is local. I am 6'3" and weigh over 200 lbs. Tom is around 130 or so. And Tom also had the best time in a non-Sport for the entire weekend. So we are likely going to look for a good day to get organized in the Seattle region, get some recharging ability at the track, then go and let Tom try to beat the record with a 100% charge in performance mode.

Last edited:
So we are likely going to look for a good day to get organized in the Seattle region, get some recharging ability at the track, then go and let Tom try to beat the record with a 100% charge in performance mode.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be able to try this myself in my Roadster Sport Aug 30 at the Power of DC event (all EV autocross/drag race). But I'm 180 lbs, so at a disadvantage. But I'll also have the CF interior, which is lighter! :biggrin:

We'll have 14-50 charging facilities and my Foundry charger at the hotel and at the track. I should be able to achieve 100% charge. Plus I'll have played with the TC and handling all day Saturday at the autocross.