Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was referring to this line which implies the I-Pace also takes up storage for the computer.

"Both vehicles use an extensive array of cameras and sensors to collect information about their surroundings and the robust computer system that runs them takes up storage space in both vehicles."
Images from Waymo's Gen5 blog post show they still use some of the trunk space.

I agree that it is unlikely that Waymo is maintaining two separate code bases. But how do you explain that the 5th Gen drives so much better than the 4th gen? Is the massive improvement from 4th Gen to 5th Gen simply because of the newer sensors or is the improvement also from better software?
They improve continually, but what evidence do we have that Gen5 in SF drives 'so much better' than Gen4 in Chandler today? Recent SF videos curated by Waymo vs. year-old JJRicks full-truth videos is apples vs. oranges.

It is possible they froze the Chandler code, of course. They won't tell us one way or the other. I wonder what they plan to do with all those Pacificas, anyway?

Images from Waymo's Gen5 blog post show they still use some of the trunk space.

I am going by the quote from the Waymo Product Manager on the Road to Autonomy podcast. Here is the quote:

"The vehicles operating at Sky Harbor will be the Jaguar I-PACEs which have 25.3 cubic feet of cargo space. This space can hold 5 roller carry-on bags and will be available for travelers to store their bags on the journey to their destination, as the Waymo compute stack has gotten significantly smaller and more efficient over the years."

The quote indicates to me that travelers will be able to use the 25.3 cu. ft. of cargo space of the I-Pace.

They improve continually, but what evidence do we have that Gen5 in SF drives 'so much better' than Gen4 in Chandler today? Recent SF videos curated by Waymo vs. year-old JJRicks full-truth videos is apples vs. oranges.

Well, we have videos of the I-pace handling driverless in more difficult driving environments than the 4th Gen Pacificas. So that suggests better driving. Plus, we know that the 5th Gen hardware is significantly better than the 4th Gen hardware. We also know that Waymo has made significant software improvements since the rides in the 4th Gen that JJ Ricks filmed.

It is possible they froze the Chandler code, of course. They won't tell us one way or the other. I wonder what they plan to do with all those Pacificas, anyway?

Yeah. I don't know what Waymo plans to do with the Pacificas. It is possible they will just keep them around for ride-hailing in Chandler while they expand with the 5th Gen everywhere else. I still think they will eventually discontinue them, especially when the Geely vans is deployed since it could fill the same role as the Pacificas.

Waymo is answering questions on Instagram. Here are a couple I thought were interesting:

pn5yAIU.png

That last sentence "we look forward to bringing capabilities from the trucking side to our ride-haling service" implies to me that Waymo will do longer trips with their robotaxis at some point. But it seems for now, they are focused on short trips in cities.

NPVbW2m.png

This seems like a typical non-answer. I can't tell if they are saying "we considered it and did some tests but it is not a good fit" or are they being coy? Personally, I do hope that Waymo deploys ride-hailing in NYC. That would be a very lucrative market for robotaxis.

Is there a deep dive video or document that goes into Waymo's technology?

Yes. I don't think there is one single video. But Waymo has shared lots of info on their tech in different reports and tech presentations.

Here are 2 tech presentations that go pretty deep in the ML:

This is the official website for the Waymo Driver that provides some info on how the autonomous driving works.

There are also some good blogs on the tech.

Last edited:
You can also go here and read a bunch of Waymo's latest ML papers on various subjects from perception, prediction to planning:

Video of driverless ride in downtown Phoenix:

Also, here is an interesting little tidbit on how Waymo is relying more on ML for their planning:

A few months ago, Waymo rolled out an important improvement to its self-driving system. The specific change was the planning piece (as in planning and perception) of the software, according to senior product manager Pablo Abad. This newer version leans more heavily on machine learning and neural nets than it has in the past.
Adad explains: “Coding for all these different scenarios more manually can take time, as you can imagine,” Adad said. “As you build up more and more and more of these heuristics, it becomes harder for other developers to come in and tweak certain parameters without affecting other parts of the system. So instead, you give the system all of this training data, allow it to learn the best behavior in certain situations on its own, rather than having to manually get in there and insert heuristics.”
The result is a system that can handle more dynamic situations and improves more quickly. During my ride, the vehicle was able to smoothly execute trickier situations (like double parked vehicles) than I remember. It also allows Waymo to more easily fold new features in. For instance, as I was exiting, the robotaxi gave me a visual and audio alert that another vehicle was approaching from behind to ensure I didn’t whip my door open to wide on the busy street. It will also alert riders to upcoming cyclists.

The distinguishing technical questions are: "is a pre-computed mapping of the environment to ~cm level in 3d necessary for Waymo cars to function? Is a similar resolution direct physical measurement hardware at drive time, interacting with that mapping data, necessary to operate?"

I don't know what it is now, but once upon a time there had to be something like it because it came out of the 2007 DARPA challenge when there wasn't remotely either the computer science algorithmic knowledge or the computational hardware capability to do modern machine learning based vision processing.
I guess sort of similar to TERCOM used by older cruise missiles pre-GPS, correlations vs pre-mapped terrain.

Everything else is required tasks of any ADAS and semantic tags are different from cm level pre-mapping.

Now, Waymo might not need that now and surely does modern ML on vision, but could it operate successfully with low resolution maps of streets only (no buildings/overpasses/terrain mapped) ?
So Samir is the real-time driver making decisions WYSIWYG whereas the mapping is the navigator crying out. J/K

Why keep adding cities instead of scaling up in one city? Answer: they can't afford to scale up. So this is the only way they can show "progress" to investors.

In other news, Waymo recently gave a "driverless" ride to a San Francisco journalist. It didn't go great. First, it wasn't driverless. Maybe because of fog? The chaperone didn't really say. And Waymo says Gen5 can handle fog. There were also phantom braking events and the car got so confused at a drop-off point the safety driver had to put it into manual mode for a few blocks.

Reactions: ZeApelido
Why keep adding cities instead of scaling up in one city? Answer: they can't afford to scale up. So this is the only way they can show "progress" to investors.
Or, hear me out.

Different cities provide different challenges not only in terms of autonomous driving but in running mobility as a service. Operating at small scale in different cities give them the opportunity to not only test and validate their software but also work out the issues and learn how to operate in different regions.
In other news, Waymo recently gave a "driverless" ride to a San Francisco journalist. It didn't go great. First, it wasn't driverless. Maybe because of fog? The chaperone didn't really say. And Waymo says Gen5 can handle fog. There were also phantom braking events and the car got so confused at a drop-off point the safety driver had to put it into manual mode for a few blocks.
There is a literal 4 hours long video of waymo driving around without a safety personnel above.

No, that's just FUD. Waymo is scaling. That is why they are adding LA. I thought you all wanted Waymo to scale. They are doing it. But now when they do scale, you complain that they are scaling horizontally instead of vertically. The anti-Waymo crowd always have to find a negative slant. The fact that Waymo is adding LA is proof they are making real progress.

Waymo is doing exactly what they said they would do: pick cities that are a good match for the Waymo Driver, that add driving experience and that are good markets for ride-hailing.

Waymo CEO explains why they picked LA. They are building on the experience they have gained in SF and Phoenix. They believe LA will offer a geography well suited for the Waymo Driver, plus it is a good market for ride-hailing.

Again, that is a very negative slant. If you read the blog, the ride was very good. There were only a couple issues. Obviously, AVs are not perfect. But Waymo is doing a lot of driverless rides that work great. And 5th Gen does work in fog.

Last edited:
Different cities provide different challenges not only in terms of autonomous driving but in running mobility as a service. Operating at small scale in different cities give them the opportunity to not only test and validate their software but also work out the issues and learn how to operate in different regions.

Exactly. Waymo has explained that they pick cities that can teach the Waymo Driver and also teach them about running a ride-hailing service. Right now, Waymo is focused on generalizing the Waymo Driver so they need to expose the Waymo Driver to different driving environments. They can always scale up in a city later.