Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats all they care about - if so - they are not suitable to be CEOs.

Its been said CEOs are borderline psychopaths - I'd not endorse such people. But people who are too careful won't do well in totally new spaces like EVs or rockets or robotaxis. Ironically silicon valley is full of brave CEOs ... just that you can't find them at Waymo.

ps : basically you need people who push boundaries. Unfortunately a lot of them push boundaries in all spheres, not just technical.

Of course, you need people who push boundaries. And you should take smart business risks. But you cannot sacrifice robotaxi safety. If you do, you will 100% fail because you will go bankrupt when nobody wants to ride in your death trap and regulators shut you down. Like I said, you need a balance. You don't want to be so timid and cautious that other companies dominate the robotaxi market before you do. But you also don't want to release unsafe robotaxis that cause a huge backlash against your company.

Good interview on Bloomberg with Waymo's new co-CEO's:

Check out at the 4:17 mark, there is some nice new video of the FSD visualizations on a 5th Gen i-Pace in what looks to be SF.

Last edited:
Good interview on Bloomberg with Waymo's new co-CEO's:

Dmitri said:
We have deployed in Phoenix.
Lie. Not available in Phoenix.
Other co CEO said:
We have already deployed in Phoenix.
Lie. Not available in Phoenix.

TLDW: Too long didn't watch summary: We are testing trucking between Phoenix and Tucson. We are not announcing any timelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
It's not a lie. There is a commercial ride-hailing robotaxi service currently available to the general public in the East Valley of Phoenix, Arizona, including Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa and Tempe. That's in Phoenix.
Your making up a term. East Valley of Phoenix? It is called the valley of the sun, and there is an East Valley, but it is not called East Valley of Phoenix. I lived there for more decades than I care to admit to, so I'm very familiar with the area.
"Without a safety driver" is not available in Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe, or Phoenix. Only in a subset of the city of Chandler. These are lies that Waymo wants you to believe.

Last edited:
Your making up a term. East Valley of Phoenix? It is called the valley of the sun, and there is an East Valley, but it is not called East Valley of Phoenix. I lived there for more decades than I care to admit to, so I'm very familiar with the area.
"Without a safety driver" is not available in Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe, or Phoenix. Only in a subset of the city of Chandler. These are lies that Waymo wants you to believe.

That's what Google says.

Gs5XvLe.png

The official Waymo FAQ says this:

"Our Waymo One fully autonomous ride-hailing service operates within parts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, including Chandler, Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert. Our service operates around the clock, seven days a week. Riders can travel anywhere in our territory day and night."

Regardless of what term you want to use, fully autonomous ride-hailing is available to the public in parts of metro Phoenix. So the CEO statement was accurate.

No that is what Waymo says.
So they created their own term, just to get the simpletons like you to argue that they got Phoenix already.

I directly quoted Google:

"Waymo One is currently available to the general public in the East Valley of Phoenix, Arizona, including Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa and Tempe."

So that comes from Google, not Waymo.

Waymo does not use the term "east valley".

I also directly quoted from Waymo:

"Our Waymo One fully autonomous ride-hailing service operates within parts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, including Chandler, Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert. Our service operates around the clock, seven days a week. Riders can travel anywhere in our territory day and night."

Waymo is not claiming that they have all of Phoenix done. Waymo is very clear that the ride-hailing is available in parts of metro Phoenix.

You are just trying to confuse the issue like you always do.

I directly quoted Google:
It is worth repeating -- you are really dense.

Google does NOT define anything, they crawl the web and present the results for what you're trying to search for.

Even when google presents a result that looks like it is by Google, it is NOT in fact by them...
Like Wikipedia blurbs or definitions...
1619790479991.png

and your example...

1619790569920.png

Reactions: MP3Mike and DanCar
Waymo FAQ said:
Our Waymo One fully autonomous ride-hailing service operates within parts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, including Chandler, Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert.
According to Waymo it is not fully autonomous if you need a safety driver. So lie upon lie. The Waymo One service that operates in Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert always has a safety driver. Only in a subset of Chandler can get a van without a safety driver.

It is worth repeating -- you are really dense.

Google does NOT define anything, they crawl the web and present the results for what you're trying to search for.

Even when google presents a result that looks like it is by Google, it is NOT in fact by them...
Like Wikipedia blurbs or definitions...
View attachment 658371

and your example...

View attachment 658372

You are the one that is dense. OMG! I feel like I am talking to a 10 year old.

Yes, Google is getting their info from the Waymo FAQ but the sentence on the Google page is not a direct quote.

This is a direct quote from the Waymo FAQ. It is clearly not the same as what Google wrote.

I guess, he was not making it up, but Waymo sure is.
He is just parroting their talking points!

What term is Waymo making up? Waymo does not use the term "East Valley". I showed you the quote from Waymo FAQ.

Yes, Google is getting their info from the Waymo FAQ but the sentence on the Google page is not a direct quote.
Another LIE

I just pasted a screenshot of the direct quote!!
Are you on drugs? --- seek help!

Update: I just realized that I did not use crayon red to highlight for you....
1619792439889.png

Attachments

• 1619792173576.png
    1619792173576.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 1619792421873.png
    1619792421873.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 33
Another LIE

I just pasted a screenshot of the direct quote!!
Are you on drugs? --- seek help!

View attachment 658379

I figured out what is going on.

You and I are quoting from different parts of the FAQ. One answer does mention East Valley. One answer does not mention East Valley.

There are two different questions:

Where does Waymo One Operate?

That is the question I am quoting. There is no reference to East Valley in that answer.

You are quoting from a different question later in the FAQ.

When can I ride with Waymo outside of Metro Phoenix?

"Waymo One is currently available in the East Valley of Phoenix Arizona, including Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa and Tempe. To stay updated on our progress, please follow our blog and Twitter. You can also sign up for our newsletter."

That answer does mention East Valley.

You and I are quoting from different parts of the FAQ.
I wasn't quoting sh!t.
I was educating you on how Google search works.

Google does not define ANYTHING in it's search results, it presents what it finds.
There would be a scandal of manipulating results otherwise.

The rest... well the rest speaks for itself.
You have such a hardon for Waymo - you will keep digging your own grave instead of looking at the facts.

I am sad to hear that. I want this thread to be a good place to get Waymo info and have constructive discussions. Let's not let some posters ruin a good thread.

Can we please get this thread back on track?
I am just going to make a few statements here which should be uncontroversial. Hopefully we can find some agreement.

1. Waymo and Tesla are taking fundamentally different approaches to solving different problems (at least in the short-term -- geographically limited robotaxi service of at least L4 vs. unrestricted self driving of at least L2.)
2. Waymo does not have to fail for Tesla to succeed.

I am just going to make a few statements here which should be uncontroversial. Hopefully we can find some agreement.

1. Waymo and Tesla are taking fundamentally different approaches to solving different problems (at least in the short-term -- geographically limited robotaxi service of at least L4 vs. unrestricted self driving of at least L2.)
2. Waymo does not have to fail for Tesla to succeed.

Thank you. I agree 100% with both statements.