Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The street is a dead end. What I'm confused about is why people think robotaxis shouldn't pick up and drop off rides at dead ends? You can clearly see that there are residences and other cars there!

You are wrong, please accept that.
You are so adamant about defending Waymo that you cannot even take a residents word, or use basic tools to review for yourself.

Here is the street view from Google:
View attachment 722011

I am not wrong. I showed you the map. That is the street that I am talking about. The street becomes a "slow street". That is why there is a "do not enter" sign. So cars are not allowed. That is why Waymo must turn around. So you are wrong to say that the cars don't need to follow the law.

Basically, Waymos drive down that road and turn around because there is a "do not enter" sign. It's that simple. There is no news story here.

I am not wrong. I showed you the map. That is the street that I am talking about. The street becomes a "slow street". That is why there is a "do not enter" sign. So cars are not allowed. That is why Waymo must turn around. So you are wrong to say that the cars don't need to follow the law.
Dude, look at the Google Street View for yourself Google Maps

Or keep digging deeper...

Free country and all that!

For the record, Slow Street program does not permanantly close lanes, it sets times and dates when the lanes are to be used for pedestrians and cyclists.

Reactions: rxlawdude and EVNow
I should note that you will take Waymo's word but refuse to take residents, reported who made an entire segment out of the ordeal... talk about bias...

I'm taking the word of the residents. They say that Waymos are doing U-turns on their street. That is what I am saying too. Waymo simply explained why they are doing U-turns.

It is clear to me that you want there to be a controversy where there is none because you are biased against Waymo.

• Disagree
Reactions: sfuape
I'm taking the word of the residents. They say that Waymos are doing U-turns on their street. That is what I am saying too. Waymo simply explained why they are doing U-turns.

It is clear to me that you want there to be a controversy where there is none because you are biased against Waymo.
Your logic is just as good as Waymo's!
Meaning it's not.

Slow Streets is a temporary (not permanent like in this example) Slow Streets Program and is closed off with pop signs as shown on that web page.

Reactions: rxlawdude
They must be running on maps that are over a decade old or something (think about that for a second -- Google makes the most accurate maps in the world, but Waymo uses some outdated garbage?!?)

In 2008 Street View shows it is a 2-way street: Google Maps
In April 2011 Street View already shows the October 2021 configuration of one way only with a bike lane: Google Maps

Pathetic - is the only word that can really describe their response to this!

Also, note that Slow Streets is a COVID era creation. Not a thing back in 2011!

No, I don't think so. Based on the Waymo statement, I think they are going up 15th St, cross Lake St, and then when they N 15th St which is a "slow street", they turn around.

Here is the map with an arrow showing the path I think the Waymos are taking.

h5HIVXp.png
The point is that they shouldn't ever be going that far North on 15th. They should either turn left/right on Lake St, if that is allowed, or on California St. before that. (The residents say that they have never seen a pickup/drop off on the dead end section.) Now if they are dropping off/picking up a passenger every 5 minutes on 15th between California and Lake that would make sense, but I highly doubt that is happening.

Reactions: EVNow and sfuape
They must be running on maps that are over a decade old or something (think about that for a second -- Google makes the most accurate maps in the world, but Waymo uses some outdated garbage?!?)

In 2008 Street View shows it is a 2-way street: Google Maps
In April 2011 Street View already shows the October 2021 configuration of one way only with a bike lane: Google Maps

Pathetic - is the only word that can really describe their response to this!

Also, note that Slow Streets is a COVID era creation. Not a thing back in 2011!

You don't know what you are talking about. Waymo's maps are fine. Waymo updates the maps continually in real-time. There is no indication of any map problem. Most likely, the maps would indicate that it is a "dead end" and the Waymo's camera vision can read the "do not enter" sign. That's how Waymo knows to do a U turn.

Last edited:
The point is that they shouldn't ever be going that far North on 15th. They should either turn left/right on Lake St, if that is allowed, or on California St. before that. (The residents say that they have never seen a pickup/drop off on the dead end section.) Now if they are dropping off/picking up a passenger every 5 minutes on 15th between California and Lake that would make sense, but I highly doubt that is happening.

Sure, they could turn on California St and avoid the u turn entirely.

How many passengers are they taking right now? I thought they were just testing without passengers...

So the point is that Waymo should not drive down a street where they will need to make a U turn unless it is to pick up or drop off a rider? Mmmkay.
Why would it drive out of its way? That would be a path planner failure.

The only thing that makes sense is that they want to turn left on California, but because Waymo is Waymo, they won't make an unprotected left; so they proceed forward to do a U-turn so that they can then make a right on California to get to where they are going.

Is there some other logical reason for what they are doing?

Why would it drive out of its way? That would be a path planner failure.

It would only be a path planner failure if the cars were intending to take a different route. If these were commercial rides, I would agree there is a path failure. But these are test vehicles doing routes to collect testing data. Perhaps, they intended to go down that route? If it was a path planner failure, then surely Waymo would have fixed it sooner. They would not keep repeating the same path planner failure over and over again. And the cars have safety drivers. So if it is a planner failure, why would the safety drivers not intervene? Why would the safety drivers continue to let the car drive down the "wrong" street where it needs to do a U turn?

The only thing that makes sense is that they want to turn left on California, but because Waymo is Waymo, they won't make an unprotected left; so they proceed forward to do a U-turn so that they can then make a right on California to get to where they are going.

The whole reason to avoid some unprotected left turns is when it is a driverless ride so Waymo wants to play it safe. But these cars have safety drivers. There would be no reason to avoid unprotected left turns. Plus, these are the 5th Gen cars with the latest FSD. They would be more confident and capable with unprotected left turns.

Is there some other logical reason for what they are doing?

IMO, the most logical reason is that the U turns are deliberate because 15th St is part of the testing route that the safety drivers are given. Remember that these Waymos are not accepting riders. So it's not like they were trying to get to the passenger's destination and failed to take the right route. These Waymos are part of the test fleet, doing their testing. They are just driving around on as many roads as possible to collect testing data.

Last edited:
its amazing how normal Waymo rides are. Just another driverless car going to its destination.

When you have real autonomous driving that is very reliable like Waymo has, it is normal. In fact, "normal" is how autonomous driving should be. It should be no different than if a chauffeur was driving you.