Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's official: Austin will be Waymo's 4th ride-hailing city after LA. Waymo has already finished early testing in Austin and will begin initial phase of operations this Fall with fully autonomous deployment to the public "in the months following":

It’s official. Austin will be Waymo’s fourth major ride-hail city, joining Metro Phoenix, San Francisco and Los Angeles, as we continue to expand and build momentum for our commercial ride-hail business.

For the past few months, our team tested in and around downtown in our all-electric Jaguar I-PACE vehicles to reacquaint the generalizable Waymo Driver with the city. With this early testing successfully concluded, we’ll begin an initial phase of operations this fall, with fully autonomous deployment and our first rides with the public in the months following.

We intend for our Austin operations to be a truly useful service from the start, traversing a large portion of the city night and day. The Waymo Driver will travel to many popular locations, like the heart of downtown, Barton Hills, Riverside, East Austin, Hyde Park and more.

We intend for our Austin operations to be a truly useful service from the start, traversing a large portion of the city night and day. The Waymo Driver will travel to many popular locations, like the heart of downtown, Barton Hills, Riverside, East Austin, Hyde Park and more.
Nice little dig at Cruise. The areas they describe seem to encompass about 25 sq miles. That's useful, but not sure I'd call it a "large portion". Schedule is vague - beta test riders under NDA with safety drivers this fall (October?). Probably open to the public without safety drivers in mid-late 2024.

Nice little dig at Cruise. The areas they describe seem to encompass about 25 sq miles. That's useful, but not sure I'd call it a "large portion". Schedule is vague - beta test riders under NDA with safety drivers this fall (October?). Probably open to the public without safety drivers in mid-late 2024.

It is a dig at Cruise. Cruise's area in Austin is 5 sq mi and night only. And Waymo starts 24/7 whereas Cruise starts with night only. So that makes the Waymo area more useful right there. And I suspect Waymo will try to enlarge the area like they have done in Phoenix.

If Fall means Sept-Oct for beta test riders and they are aiming for public driverless a few months later, that could easily be Feb-March. That's not mid-late 2024. So I think mid-late 2024 is too pessimistic.

But overall, I am optimistic for Waymo. If they get their commercial permit on Aug 10 as planned, they can start scaling a commercial service in SF. And it looks like we will see see Waymo launch early riders in both LA and Austin by the end of this year. So by mid 2024, Waymo could have a fully commercial driverless robotaxi service in 4 major US cities which should put them in a good position for generating meaningful revenue.

Reactions: spacecoin
Waymo just posted a big blog on how Waymo Driver improves and new capabilities:

Some interesting bits:

Fleet learning
"The Waymo Driver covers tens of thousands of miles — equivalent to a lifetime of human driving experience — in a matter of days; in simulation, it does so in minutes. But driving is a social and complex task, so it’s not just about accumulating miles, but learning from each one. Our Driver has a unique ability to learn from road events across the entire fleet, advancing its capabilities at incredible speeds. This rapid pace of learning is one of the key factors that has enabled our recent expansion across multiple major U.S. cities."

"Being ML-primary, the tech behind the Waymo Driver, also adapts to new challenges and learns from experience fast. That, combined with robust training and evaluation infrastructure, allows us to rapidly and regularly enhance the Waymo Driver’s capabilities." Our software updates come out like clockwork. Each update undergoes rigorous testing and unlocks new features and performance improvements for the Driver across our entire fleet — from parking and multi-point turn maneuvers to handling heavier levels of fog and rain — as if a driving lesson for one teaches the whole fleet. This allows us to safely deploy not just individual cars but our entire fleet in increasingly more complex driving environments and expand to new cities faster."

Better performance in rain and fog.
Waymo maintained 99.4% uptime during CA winter season. Working to handle even heavier rain and fog.

Better performance in construction zones.
Responding to handheld signs, maneuvering around construction cones that come in all colors and sizes, and changing lanes for road work ahead even if the proper signage is missing,

Emergency vehicles & First Responders
  • The Waymo Driver uses its advanced sensor suite and cutting-edge perception system to detect and localize emergency vehicle sirens and flashing lights and is prepared to slow down and yield.
  • First responders have a direct line of communication with Waymo’s team and can even transition the vehicle to a manual configuration to move it quickly if needed — a feature that we built in response to a request from first responders several years ago.
Handling more situations without remote assistance.
The vast majority of such events when our car comes to a stop—or would have come to a stop in the past—are now resolved by the Waymo Driver, without assistance. To help resolve such situations more efficiently and make the Waymo Driver’s actions more predictable, we recently introduced new external audio alerts — for example, to inform pedestrians around the stopped vehicle that we’re working to get it moving, or that they’re in a path that we’re intending to take when safe.

Two clips of audio alerts the Waymo will say:

Last edited:
Wonder why it was in the far left lane with it's right turn signal on at the light in the rain example gif. Seems like a mistake FSD would make.

At the start of the gif when it makes the left turn, it has the left turn blinker on. At the end of the gif, I think it was planning to change lanes to the right, you can see the planning path arc to the right, that's why it had the right blinker on.

At the start of the gif when it makes the left turn, it has the left turn blinker on. At the end of the gif, I think it was planning to change lanes to the right, you can see the planning path arc to the right, that's why it had the right blinker on.

Yeah but that's the kind of planning issue FSD has and I see people moan about constantly. It should already be in the right lane at the light, not decide to gun it around another car and cut them off to get over.

Looks like Cruise is starting testing in Atlanta. I run everywhere in the city (live in midtown) so I will keep an eye out.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 6.12.29 PM.png

Wooops

Another biased article. It does not say why the Waymo froze. It describes the incident to put the robotaxi in the worst light. It quotes a tweet from an obvious AV hater who uses hyperbolic language "Can we end this experiment now or does someone need to be killed first?".

• Funny
Reactions: flutas and bkp_duke
Another biased article. It does not say why the Waymo froze. It describes the incident to put the robotaxi in the worst light. It quotes a tweet from an obvious AV hater who uses hyperbolic language "Can we end this experiment now or does someone need to be killed first?".

Not sure why you're just dismissing it like that.

They tried to get the reason the car broke down and Waymo didn't respond.

Waymo did not respond to a request for comment on what precipitated the incident, what precautions were in place for testing on Valencia Street, and whether it will continue testing on the corridor.

IMO your reply just comes off as dismissive without even trying to make a point.

I can change the words waymo/AV into anything and it works, something like:
Another biased article. It does not say why the bank was robbed. It describes the incident to put the robbers in the worst light. It quotes a tweet from an obvious big bank hater who uses hyperbolic language (...)

Also, regarding his "hyperbolic language" if you actually looked at his account you'd see that line isn't about the waymo, but instead the bike lanes as they are part of a 12 month pilot program, and seemingly pulled it from another person. ex:

Last edited: