Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze is coming to your car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the new Tesla Nav since two months. (*)
In my experience, which is daily commute of 80 miles and a vacation to south of France (1200 miles), the routing is on par or even better than waze’s.
At first,I did not believe the rerouting that it would propose but then had to experience the hard way the reason of the rerouting, which were surprisingly recent events that the nav was already aware off: accidents or route closed.
Examples: a car crash on the highway that happened like 15’ before we reached it, with detour mandated by police. A new road construction that had started that same day, resulting in a closed route.
So I’ve come to fully trust the nav’s proposals, which was absolutely not the case with the previous one.
What is missing compared to Waze is that you don’t see the accident or roadwork and road closed information. But at the same time, the Waze map is often too cluttered with all those events in our region (in particular road works: election year and every local mayors decided to scramble on fixing roads to win some points). So I’m not sure I’d welcome the added info making the map too busy.
Anyway, sure Waze has still features that the new nav does not do, but if you just need the nav guiding you efficiently, no need for Waze in my humble experience.

(*) the new nav, is the one that is explained here ,

and apparently still not pushed to all unfortunately.

Reactions: tranzndance
I've also been impressed with the Tesla nav so that I use it more frequently for routes that I already know. It used to optimize for distance and avoid ever backtracking. Now it takes traffic into account and optimises time saving. One time it suggested to me to take a different route than usual and I was doubtful but then I saw that there was bad traffic right after the exit and other drivers were making last minute attempts to exit to avoid it.

I think one weakness of Tesla nav is accounting for carpool lane traffic. In one of my frequent routes, there are two main ways to get to the destination. It often recommends a route that doesn't have a carpool lane but is more direct. I prefer avoiding one more highway transition and the relatively faster flow of the carpool lane. Sometimes the nav agrees with my preference.

Tesla skipped a lot of the basics to focus on the hard stuff, and now they’re slowly rolling out the stuff they should have done first… things like auto-wipers, auto-lights, coat hangers, and a place to put trash.... maybe CarPlay next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.